• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McMichael has ALS

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Steve "Mongo" McMichael announced has ALS, and has regressed to the point where he is wheelchair bound.

My Mom passed from ALS just a few years ago. It destroys the body, typically from the neck down but at least the brain remains intact until the last few weeks or so. No major relief or cure for it.

Mongo is sadly on a countdown now. My best wishes to him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really too bad.

For those of you that need a bit more info: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - Wikipedia

Same thing Stephen Hawking had but living for much more than 5-10 years (not even the worse case scenario) is not likely. He's 63 and has a daughter who is 13 so that's really too bad. 63 isn't a spring chicken but still fairly young by today's standards.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really too bad.

For those of you that need a bit more info: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - Wikipedia

Same thing Stephen Hawking had but living for much more than 5-10 years (not even the worse case scenario) is not likely. He's 63 and has a daughter who is 13 so that's really too bad. 63 isn't a spring chicken but still fairly young by today's standards.
There are differences in the extremes of it. Hawking's longevity with the disease was by far the exception to the rule. So you are very correct in that Mongo is most likely on the short clock at this point.

Some things I found out from my dear Mom having ALS:
*It is a diagnosised via elimination because there is no test for it. What I mean by that is that they eliminate other possible diagnosis until ALS remains the only remaining option.
For example: They thought my mother had a stroke until months went by and they were able to ascertain that wasn't the case.
*By the time a firm diagnosis is made, it is typically 2 to 3 years max for the vast majority.
Since Mongo is already wheelchair bound I would say he is already somewhere in that time frame.

This next part can freak people out, so be warned.
*Typically it starts in the legs and works it's way up the body. As I stated, your mind remains clear usually until the very end. What ends up happening is that eventually the lungs stop working and you literally drown.

Very sad, disturbing disease. I truly send my best wishes to McMichael and his family during these hard times.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McMichael's gofundme for his ALS care:

It doesn't appear folks here are fans of his (considering the lack of response to the news) but I thought I'd drop it just in case. I sent a few bucks to try to help him out.