• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Pagnozzi & Steve Pearce

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pittsburgh media is reporting that the Pirates have claimed catcher Matt Pagnozzi off waivers from the Rockies and have transferred Steve Pearce to the 60-day DL to make room for Pagnozzi.

Seems to me this move gives us a couple of roster signals:

1. The modest success of McKenry seems to have solidified his roster spot, at least as the major league backup catcher. So..... why would the Pirates claim a 28-year-old minor league catcher with a good-field no-hit reputation? My guesses:

---There will be a shake-up of catchers at AAA. I'm guessing that Fryer and Pagnozzi will be the catchers at Indy, while Jaramillo, Dusty Brown, and Toregas will be gone. (While I don't think the organization will miss Dusty Brown or Wyatt Toregas, I'd prefer that they retain Jaramillo if he's not out of options.)

---Tony Sanchez will start 2012 back at AA Altoona. (Given his off year, this is probably the right thing to do.)

---The Pirates are likely to pick up the option on Snyder OR Doumit to be next year's starting catcher. The other will be gone. (I'd prefer Doumit for his bat.)

2. Steve Pearce likely has played his last game as a Pirate. (It's disappointing that Pearce muffed his major league chances, either through injury or just plain bad performance, after that breakout year he had in the minors..... but I think it's time for the organization to move on.)

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Pagnozzi, and I really don't understand the move, unless they are just sick of Jaramillo, which I couldn't blame them to be honest.

Sanchez at AA is fine with me, but it shouldn't delay his arrival, AA and AAA aren't much different, so if he tears it up at AA at the beginning of next year, he wouldn't need much time (if any) at AAA. But they probably won't push him hard unless there are injuries.

Statistically Doumit has had the best offensive season of anyone, albeit in limited ab's. his option for two years, ie you pick up both, or none? If it is, that makes it a tough choice.

Agree completely about Pearce.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know much about Pagnozzi, and I really don't understand the move, unless they are just sick of Jaramillo, which I couldn't blame them to be honest.

When I started to think about the acquisition of Pagnozzi, I was puzzled. What could this mean? I almost started my post by saying that..... but then decided to give it my best shot (which probably will be wrong).

- I can't imagine that they would start 2012 expecting McKenry and Pagnozzi to be the major league tandem at catcher.

- That suggests that they will pick up the option on Snyder or Doumit to be the starter, with McKenry as backup and Pagnozzi a phone call away at Indy. (I agree that Doumit's "2-year" option will make it tough, but with a team as offensively-challenged as the Bucs, that seems best to me.)

- With Jaramillo, Fryer, and Pagnozzi all available for AAA, it seems likely that Brown and Toregas will be gone (at least I hope so). I'm guessing that Jaramillo's fate may hinge upon what they think of Fryer as a catcher.

- On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that Jaramillo is out of options. Perhaps that will seal his fate. I can't imagine that they would start 2012 expecting McKenry and Jaramillo to be the major league tandem at catcher, either.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know much about Pagnozzi, but he sounds kind of like McKenry a little from what I have read. I also have to admit that I like McKenry as our catcher going forward more so than any other option above AA. Sure his offense has struggled lately, but personally I think that that is due to him getting hit in the hand on a catchers interference. It seems to me that that is when his offense started to drop off significantly. I just think he hurt the hand then and it is bothering him more than he is letting on.
That being said, I don't understand the move entirely, Jaramillo is a decent backup, and Fryer is ready to start at AAA and Sanchez repeating AA. Mayeb he was just signed for an extra at instructionals and then will be allowed to go into the Rule 5 draft.