• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Greene on buyout waivers

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings put veteran Matt Greene on buyout waivers

Bummer, but such is life. He was integral part of this franchise, absolutely huge in developing the winning culture with Stoll when they came over from Edmonton.

I loved the guy, he really protected Quick's crease well and stood up for teammates. It's too bad the last few years have been injury marred, I thought he was still effective when he played although his already present lack of foot speed got worse the last 2-3 years.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn resigned now, as it stands the Kings have Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez and Scuderi as the 4 defenders. I can't see the Kings going with 2 rookies in Gravel/Forbert and Schultz or someone else as the 7 defenders. I'm thinking one of Forbert/Gravel makes the team and Schenn is resigned to round out the 6.

That defense will get killed without a veteran presence.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Lombardi could get another top-4 d-man, would he spend the Kings' limited assets??? My initial answer is absolutely. But the expansion draft in 12 months would mean the Kings expose either Martinez or the "other" top-4 d-man.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbo is a huge believer of you build from the net out, that is exactly how he built the Kings. Right after having a good goalie is a solid defense, which tells me he will go out and get that T4 defender and is looking as we speak. Greene's buyout gives him an additional $1.66 million to play with to do that.

With the ED next summer, and his philosophy on things, I have no doubt he is going to protect 4D and expose 3 extra forwards. It actually makes sense with the glutton of B6 players throughout the organization at all levels like Shore, Andreoff, Dowd, etc.

He won't be getting that T4 defender this summer to leave him exposed only after 1 year. I can also see some of the Ontario guys getting extended stays at the NHL level this season to gain the 40/70 requirement if necessary.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly if they somehow get another T-4 D, then likely means Brown does NOT get taken in expansion draft. If only protecting 4 Forwards, then I think Vegas would take an exposed Pearson, maybe even Gaborik, before Brown. Not to mention an exposed 5-6 D-man like Schenn (if re-signed).

Really liked Greene. But dude has got to be so beat-up (see Scuderi), best wishes to him. Schenn would have big skates to fill if that is what expected of him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly if they somehow get another T-4 D, then likely means Brown does NOT get taken in expansion draft. If only protecting 4 Forwards, then I think Vegas would take an exposed Pearson, maybe even Gaborik, before Brown. Not to mention an exposed 5-6 D-man like Schenn (if re-signed).

There's ways around this to where the Kings could protect the new T4 defender or T6 forward- just give them an NMC and they are automatically exempt. Now the Kings don't generally give those out, I read this was actually the hold up in resigning Lucic, not money or term (trade protection - friggin really??? Just give the guy an NMC or some type of NTC and be done with it) but it may make sense in this case depending on who they sign (this is assuming they will get someone via free agency who needs a new contract).

I don't know the particulars about NTCs and NMCs but would be interesting to see if some GM comes up with some sort of hybrid. Let's say a player signs a 4 year deal but the first 2 years are NMC (to be exempt from the ED) and then converts to an NTC the last 2 years. There is no language that I am aware of in the CBA that says you cannot do this, and there is precedence of modified NTCs already all over the NHL with certain players.

Maybe Dumbo signs a T4 3 years/$15 million and gives him a NMC the first year to avoid being exposed in the ED and then it converts to an NTC after the draft. Of course this is completely circumventing the rules but as I stated, it doesn't say you can't do this.

Really liked Greene. But dude has got to be so beat-up (see Scuderi), best wishes to him. Schenn would have big skates to fill if that is what expected of him.

I think Schenn did fine in this third pairing role. I read the Player Evals on LAKInsider and I thought it was a pretty unfair assessment. He had a revolving door of partners his entire tenure here from Martinez to Muzzin to finally Scuderi so his analytics were all over the map but watching him play, he was a physical presence who made pretty decent decisions most times.

If the Kings can sneak him in for around $2-2.5 million per season on a multiyear deal I would consider that a great deal to replace Greene.