• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Duffy tearing up Double - A

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid Duffy leads the team in hitting .333 285 AB in what might be the toughest pitching league in the Minors. His .398 OBP and his .826 OPS are solid. The one stat that jumped out at me was his 18 SB . This SS is someone to watch and I wonder if he can play some 2B. Looking forward to seeing this kid in the bigs but with Crawford here he might be a trade piece to get some players we need now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffy is having a great year, but he doesn't have any pedigree, so he will need to prove it at each level. I doubt he has much trade value outside of as a sweetener.

That said, I think Duffy is establishing his absolute floor at a cuppo, and a more realistic floor of util player. He has a ceiling of a bat-first SS or mid-level 3B. All good assets to have.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Blach 6-4 2.75 ERA

Jack Snodgrass 8-1 2.99 ERA

Both are having good years at Double -A also.

Snodgrass will be a MLB pitcher. I like this kid a lot. He knows how to win.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffy is having a great year, but he doesn't have any pedigree, so he will need to prove it at each level. I doubt he has much trade value outside of as a sweetener.

That said, I think Duffy is establishing his absolute floor at a cuppo, and a more realistic floor of util player. He has a ceiling of a bat-first SS or mid-level 3B. All good assets to have.

Wonder how long Arias sticks. Fields very well. But hasn't had an XBH since Bush was president (feels like it anyway.) he has value as a utility player and has shown worth in the past. His hitting has been exceptionally poor. I make no recommendation. Just frustrating to see the continued pathology of Giant's hitting.

Duffy seems to be the real deal, this half-season. How is his fielding? How old is he?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder how long Arias sticks. Fields very well. But hasn't had an XBH since Bush was president (feels like it anyway.) he has value as a utility player and has shown worth in the past. His hitting has been exceptionally poor. I make no recommendation. Just frustrating to see the continued pathology of Giant's hitting.

Duffy seems to be the real deal, this half-season. How is his fielding? How old is he?

He's 23, so about average for AA. After a weak half year in S-K in 2012, he's hit at every level and made a nice progression. 2013 split between A- and A+, 2014 at AA and hitting well (826 OPS). Not a ton of power, but a good K/BB ratio (1.60). He was drafted as a 2B, but has the arm to play SS. Ranked 30th in the system prior to the season, likely a top 20 when BA releases its midseason adjustments.

Kid can hit, and the reports out of ST were pretty glowing about his D. He's appeared exclusively as a SS in Richmond, so that should tell you something.

With a solid second half, he could pass Panik on the depth chart.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Duffy is 23 born in January. Went to Long Beach State.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Duffy passing Panik this year. While he has enough power to protect his BA, he will still be a doubles hitter at best at the MLB level. If he continues his amazing hitting and "solid" D in AA, and then transitions well to AAA next year, AND we still have a need for an infielder next year, I can see him getting into the mix. But I think that barring an outside player, Panik will be our opening day 2B next year.

I don't see him pushing Crawford anytime soon at SS. He is playing SS right now because that is what builds value. He has the ability to stick, I think, but he is not better than Craw, so his future with the Giants is at 2B or 3B. Two positions of potential need. Reportedly, he has the arm for 3B.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Duffy passing Panik this year. While he has enough power to protect his BA, he will still be a doubles hitter at best at the MLB level. If he continues his amazing hitting and "solid" D in AA, and then transitions well to AAA next year, AND we still have a need for an infielder next year, I can see him getting into the mix. But I think that barring an outside player, Panik will be our opening day 2B next year.

I don't see him pushing Crawford anytime soon at SS. He is playing SS right now because that is what builds value. He has the ability to stick, I think, but he is not better than Craw, so his future with the Giants is at 2B or 3B. Two positions of potential need. Reportedly, he has the arm for 3B.

Eeesh. Awfully early for that kind of assessment. Panik has a .457 OPS, albeit thru 23 ABs. Cain and Bumgarner each have higher OPS. I'm not ready to even pencil him in as the starting 2B next year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eeesh. Awfully early for that kind of assessment. Panik has a .457 OPS, albeit thru 23 ABs. Cain and Bumgarner each have higher OPS. I'm not ready to even pencil him in as the starting 2B next year.

The stress on that statement was not about Panik. It was about an outside player. I do not think our starting 2B for 2015 is currently in the org.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a thread for this :) http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-giants/131500-2014-top-prospects-9.html

Anyway, I love Matt Duffy. Kid works hard. He was not considered a very good defender when he first joined the Giants, but he has put in a ton of work to become one of the systems' better defenders (across all levels). He's a tick below Craw and Adrianza defensively, but he worked his way up towards the top. He's been one of the best hitters in the Eastern League, which says A LOT.