• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland & ACC finally settle lawsuits

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT didn't turn down the SEC, VT was never invited to the SEC, just as WVU was never invited or NCState ect.. The media mentioned them as well as other schools as possibilities but that was as far as it went.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the $$$ aspect, but why would the B1G go out and get even worse at football? Perception is already bad enough, then you go add Rutgers and Maryland, really?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because MARYLAND delivers both the DC and Baltimore markets.
No other region has such concentrated wealth. I think those counties represent 50% of the 20 wealthiest counties in the USA.

The State of the Maryland is the #1 wealthiest state in the union.
DC and the northern Virginia suburbs also bring tremendous wealth....
The University of Maryland puts the Big 10 footprint in all three of those places.

Virginia Tech and Virginia (While having a presence in the Northern Virginia counties) cannot deliver both markets in its entirety like Maryland can do.

The Big 10 knew what it was doing. They get a huge benefit from Maryland.
But, I am not entirely sure Maryland gets as much benefit from the Big 10 in return.

It is a no brainer from the Big 10 perspective.
It is something of a headscratcher from the Maryland perspective.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because MARYLAND delivers both the DC and Baltimore markets.
No other region has such concentrated wealth. I think those counties represent 50% of the 20 wealthiest counties in the USA.

The State of the Maryland is the #1 wealthiest state in the union.
DC and the northern Virginia suburbs also bring tremendous wealth....
The University of Maryland puts the Big 10 footprint in all three of those places.

Virginia Tech and Virginia (While having a presence in the Northern Virginia counties) cannot deliver both markets in its entirety like Maryland can do.

The Big 10 knew what it was doing. They get a huge benefit from Maryland.
But, I am not entirely sure Maryland gets as much benefit from the Big 10 in return.

It is a no brainer from the Big 10 perspective.
It is something of a headscratcher from the Maryland perspective.

Money, that's what Maryland gets. Even if the ACC gets their conference network ( which would have less value now that the Baltimore/DC market is gone for the most part) it's highly doubtful that the per year money will be as much as the BIG. I suppose the saving grace COULD be that CFB as a tv product could gain even more value and they could cash in for awhile until the other conferences redo THEIR deals (same type of situation the Big12 is in now), FSU winning the NC has to help, but it's still tricky not having ND as a full member.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just call a spade a spade here, if VT carried any tv market other than uncle Vernon's big screen in the barn that the whole family comes over to watch after bath time in the crick then the SEC or BIG would have scooped them up in the last round of expansion and used that market in negotiations for their new network. VT don't bring chit as far as a tv market, that is why you are stuck in the new BigEast making chump change and not playing in the $EC east right now.

VT brings the DC/Baltimore market..

yea, prolly brings Philly and NYC too :pound:

If the SEC expands again the targets will be in order:

1. UNC
2. VT
3. NC State ( only if they can't land UNC)
4. Virginia (only if they can't get VT)
5. Duke

North Carolina and Virginia are the markets the SEC wants the most. If they can't get these schools no point in expansion.