• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marlon Byrd

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds have traded Ben Lively to the Phillies for the 37 year old Marlon Byrd. Byrd is due $8M with an additional $8M vesting option if he gets 550 PA's in 2015. The trade fell through a couple days ago, but apparently has been reworked to the satisfaction of both teams.

Byrd's slash numbers for 2014 were .264/.312/.445, he hit a career high 25 bombs and struck out a career high 185 times. He also only walked 35 times in over 600 PA's.

Just what the Reds needed, another free swinging whiffaholic with poor plate discipline.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll hopefully, he will be worth it.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was the best move that was available based on the constraints of Salary. Signing Dudwick to that fat contract fucked us in many ways.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Ludwick would have to be one of the most unpopular signings in recent Reds history. Performance a side, a lot of fans just didn't care for the guy. His comments pertaining to the fans role in the clubs poor performance during the 2013 end of season collapse didn't help.

As far as his contract was concerned I have a different opinion than most on this board. Ludwick was a second tier free agent signed for second tier money after posting a better than projected 2012. Article XX-B free agents rated higher than Ludwick were getting $14-15M+ per year in the 2012 off season while he was retained for two years and a buyout at that amount. His contract was a club friendly back loaded deal that cost the Reds $2M in 2013 with that amount being made up in the $4.5M buyout. He averaged less than $6M per season for his three years with the Reds which in today's market is about what a .260 hitter with mid teen HR power gets. The Reds got great value the first year and very little the next two after the 2013 Opening Day shoulder injury.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read a report today that stated the terms of the Byrd deal included the Phillies paying half of the $8M 2015 salary. That makes it look much more prudent. If he puts up his 2014 numbers this coming season it'd be great value for a $4M investment.

The Phillies' cash helps on two fronts. It allowed the Reds to fill the LF void while leaving additional funds to improve the bench or bull pen. IMO, the Reds might have around $10M left under a 2015 all in limit of what might be around $120M based on the team's recent average yearly increases.

redsfan03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge fan of a 37-year-old stopgap option in left field. At some point, the Reds need to find a more long term solution in left. Good to hear that the Phillies are footing half the bill, though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key to this deal is the incentive of 550 PA ... what that clearly suggests is that the days of the LF-du-jour are hopefully over. It also suggests strongly that there is no plan to bring up Winker during the season. In order for Byrd to have a chance to qualify for the incentive, he has to be given a fair chance at it. I would assume, though, that Byrd will play some right field.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byrd was the deal they should have made in post season push a couple years ago, but didnt. Now, he's 37. Byrd is a coin flip from Ludwick, but at least he's coming off an up power year- and didn't have 5 shoulder surgeries in his history, unlike Ludwick.

I'm a bit tired of the Reds alternately reactionary and unfathomable roster meandering lately. I'm irked by hearing how there isn't enough money to sign Cueto after pissing away millions on Ludwick, Madson, Marshall, Hannahan, Broxton, etc. Inexplicably doing an about face on making Chapman a SP, making lame excuses for Votto's physical and emotional absence and Bruce's absence of focus, and getting a utility infielder and a couple mid level minor leaguers for about the same pitching value that Justin Upton was traded for. I find it ironic that they replaced a terrible 3b coach with a guy that got 21 guys hosed at the plate in his first and last season.

These Reds often, just aren't very bright. Not just players, the entire organization are remedial performers. Common sense isn't that common. Marlin Byrd isn't going to cure that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope with Byrd is that it helps out others in this lineup in a role more suitable to their capabilities. I would be more understanding if Frazier hitting 2nd if BP wasn't hitting in a 3-4-5 spot, I guess. Unless BP suddenly goes back to stealing some bases, hitting some HR or more than .260, I can't help but see him as a more logical 6 or 7 hitter. We have to hope Hamilton can get on enough to make leadoff his spot, and Votto hits enough to be somewhere in the top 3-4 spots. If Mesoraco and Frazier repeat last seasons numbers they can be middle of the order guys. We need Bruce to at least hit more HR if he's going to continue his Adam Dunn impersonation, but his lack of contact probably destines him for a 5-6-7 lineup spot. Whoever plays SS is the 8 hitter.

Last year there were just more holes in the lineup than any winning team can have. SS was a zero, and LF wasn't much better. Bruce didnt hold down a real RF bat, and Votto's absence wasn't as sorely missed when Pena or Frazier replaced him at 1b, as was the Santiago or Hannahan entry to fill the vacated infield spot. At least Byrd may add a more everyday LF bat. I have doubts Bruce can be as bad, or Hamilton will regress this early in his career. Any contribution Votto makes will be an improvement, I hope.

So, I don't feel hopeless about the lineup. I'm concerned about the back of the starting rotation, unless Chapman joins it, and if he does, I'm bullpen worried. It's a small park, and even if the lineup improves, still gotta keep the opposition in the park to win. The Cubs got better, so the cellar is rising.