• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Madsen Is Returning To Los Angeles

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Madsen is expected to be named as the new head coach for the Los Angeles Defenders. I like this pick even though I have some concerns about his ability to be a good coach. The Defenders is not the same as NBA though and will be a good start for him. One thing you could never fault Mark for was his passion, enthusiasm and effort which was always 100%.

Congratulations to Mr Mad-dog Madsen

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shook hands with Mad Dog after a Sacramento Queens game at Staples one night at a meet-n-greet. He was a nice guy and so was Jimmy Jackson and C-Webb. Sadly, Vlade was a dickhead and looked at me like I should go fuck myself. I also met Lawrence Funderburke and got to talk to him and Lakers assistant Jim Cleamons for about 10 min. It was freaking AWESOME. Then who but Tex Winter came out and shook my hand and listened to my opinions about Kobe for a couple of minutes. And stupid me, the only one I got my pic taken with was Jimmy Jackson who went to high school in Toledo with my buddy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlade was definitely the champion flopper of all time in the NBA history, the Spurs Ginobil has to be the second best and Derek Fisher the third. I come to the conclusion that no one could knock Fisher down onto his ass unless he allowed them. I came to that conclusion when I saw a close up of his biceps - that dude is strong, but yet he has completely sold those flops.

Chris Webber, however was cheat - took bribes in the NCAA

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Ginobili's and Vlade's case they had to flop to keep from getting sacrificed, but In Derek Fisher's case I think they had better be happy he did flop, because I believe if he wanted to hold his ground they would be on the floor and out.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Defenders are firing Reggie Theus?

That team is not very good. I saw them a month or so back in Austin as they played the Toros. That team is all guards, no frontcourt whatsoever. They have this 7 foot center named Jordan wearing 23......and he's outright TERRIBLE. Looks like he weighs about a buck 20. I hope Madsen has some connections because that team is going nowhere.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Madsen has some connections because that team is going nowhere.

They are a D league team, right? Where are they supposed to go? If they had talent it would be in the NBA, not down in the D-league.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shook hands with Mad Dog after a Sacramento Queens game at Staples one night at a meet-n-greet. He was a nice guy and so was Jimmy Jackson and C-Webb. Sadly, Vlade was a dickhead and looked at me like I should go fuck myself. I also met Lawrence Funderburke and got to talk to him and Lakers assistant Jim Cleamons for about 10 min. It was freaking AWESOME. Then who but Tex Winter came out and shook my hand and listened to my opinions about Kobe for a couple of minutes. And stupid me, the only one I got my pic taken with was Jimmy Jackson who went to high school in Toledo with my buddy.

I'm curious how the conversation went with Winter about Kobe.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious how the conversation went with Winter about Kobe.

Not extremely interesting. He was friendly and accomodating but seemed old and distracted to be quite honest. My initial comment was something like "Stay on Kobe to play team basketball, Mr. Winter." and he responded with a smile and didn't really allow himself to get too involved when I told him how I loved Showtime with Magic orchestrating near-perfect team basketball and didn't think it could ever be that good again. He made a comment or two and moved on.

Lawrence Funderburke and Jim Cleamons were both super-friendly and conversational.

I told Vlade we wanted to see him back in the purple and gold and he looked me right in the eye and totally ignored me. It's always amazing to stand next to a guy 7' tall. It's circus-freakish (and I'm a little over 6' 4").

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a D league team, right? Where are they supposed to go? If they had talent it would be in the NBA, not down in the D-league.

The D-league DOES have a playoffs and title game. The whole point is to improve and win. That way Madsen can get a real coaching job. But first that roster needs better d league talent.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D-league DOES have a playoffs and title game. The whole point is to improve and win. That way Madsen can get a real coaching job. But first that roster needs better d league talent.

So do all minor leagues. But who remembers any playoff or championship teams from the minors. It's about developing the individual talent so that they can make it the real show. It would be hard for a coach to get anywhere if he is stuck with no talent on his minor league team; really hard to show that you can coach.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do all minor leagues. But who remembers any playoff or championship teams from the minors. It's about developing the individual talent so that they can make it the real show. It would be hard for a coach to get anywhere if he is stuck with no talent on his minor league team; really hard to show that you can coach.

There are coaches who have had to work their way into the NBA through the minor leagues. Phil Jackson coached, with success, teams in the CBA and the Puerto Rican league before anyone gave him a chance in the NBA. His first NBA gig was an assistant coach for Doug Collins in Chicago. George Karl also coached with success in the CBA before he was able to get a head coaching position in the NBA. It can be a platform to show that you are a capable coach.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are coaches who have had to work their way into the NBA through the minor leagues. Phil Jackson coached, with success, teams in the CBA and the Puerto Rican league before anyone gave him a chance in the NBA. His first NBA gig was an assistant coach for Doug Collins in Chicago. George Karl also coached with success in the CBA before he was able to get a head coaching position in the NBA. It can be a platform to show that you are a capable coach.

Yes, minor leagues CAN be a great springboard for a coaching career; I said it would be hard on a team lacking talent. Karl got 2 coach of the years in the CBA--must have some talent to get that, and Jackson won a CBA title as coach, even before he met Winter and adopted the triangle.

Still, in basketball, the minor leagues are not as well established as in other sports and it is a less common path to NBA coaching than going through being an assistant in the NBA. In fact, Jackson still had to go through being an assistant in the NBA before getting an NBA head coaching job despite his success in the CBA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3