• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon rips Yankees coach Kevin Long for Cano critique

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,868.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Seattle Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said Tuesday that Kevin Long should keep his opinions to himself, two days after the New York Yankees hitting coach criticized second baseman Robinson Cano for his unwillingness to run out routine ground balls while in the Bronx.

McClendon said Long overstepped his bounds with his critique of Cano's effort with New York and defended the Mariners' prized offseason free-agent acquisition.

"Last time I checked, I didn't know that Kevin Long was the spokesman for the New York Yankees," McClendon told ESPN.com. "That was a little surprising. I was a little pissed off, and I'm sure Joe [Girardi] feels the same way. He's concerned with his team and what they're doing, not what the Seattle Mariners players are doing.

"I'm a little surprised that Kevin Long is the spokesman for the New York Yankees. I wonder if he had any problems with Robbie when he wrote that book ["Cage Rat"] proclaiming himself as the guru of hitting."

Long responded to the criticism later Tuesday.

"That's too bad," he said. "I don't consider myself the spokesman for the Yankees. If you look at all the good things that were written about Robinson you would understand there was no malicious meaning behind any of it. If he wants to speak publicly like that, that is up to him. That is the way he interpreted it. I'm not going to get in a media war with Lloyd McClendon; he'd probably win that anyway.

Source: ESPN

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like this. I read it yesterday and thought we finally had a guy who doesn't allow crud to happen and he speaks his mind. Not sure if it makes him a better manager or not, but I like the fire and the guts.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like this. I read it yesterday and thought we finally had a guy who doesn't allow crud to happen and he speaks his mind. Not sure if it makes him a better manager or not, but I like the fire and the guts.

I second that...

It sends an early message to the players, he's not gonna put up with whining or smart arse comments, I love it. It's been missing since Lou left, hell I hope he throws a couple bases around, kicks his hat, and well got that Yankee hatred stirred right back up since we haven't had that since 2001..

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this, you HAVE to back your guy.

But also, I dont get everyones big issue with him running out grounders. The guy plays 160 games a year year over year. If he's saving his legs for the whole year and loses out on the 1 in 300 chance to reach via a botched throw, im cool with that. As long as he's hitting over .300 and knocking in 120 plus ribs a year

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to post a thread about this but never got to it.

To essentially echo everyone else's post in this thread, I love that Lloyd McClendon is defending his guy. I was not a huge fan of the hiring initially, but at least I already like him as a person.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's lazy for any batter at any level to not run hard to 1B all the time. There's no excuse not to, and it's indicative of laziness or apathy if a player does it.

I'm actually glad Long made the comment, which, btw, was 100% accurate.

And I like that McClendon protects his players.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long "those grapes were sour anyways"