• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Designate Aaron Harang For Assignment

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have been a #3 pitcher in the Padres rotation.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank god

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About three months too late, but I'll take it.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He used to be a very good pitcher. A shame he fell off.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the question is...who fills in the starting role? Maurer? ..........Taijuan Walker???

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the question is...who fills in the starting role? Maurer? ..........Taijuan Walker???
Walker's last game this season will be in Tacoma in a few days.

They're shutting him down, thank goodness. Absolutely no sense in bringing him up this year.

And they've moved Maurer to the pen for now. They haven't given up on him as a starter, though.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a huge clutter in the outfield now...wonder how Wedge is going to distribute playing time

Ackley has obviously earned himself playing time everyday...so now we have two slots with Raul, Saunders, Morse, and Guti

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully, Joe Squanders will be next.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a huge clutter in the outfield now...wonder how Wedge is going to distribute playing time

Ackley has obviously earned himself playing time everyday...so now we have two slots with Raul, Saunders, Morse, and Guti

Don't forget about Chavez, too. I think we see a lefty/right platoon situation taking match-ups into consideration in the corner outfield spots, with Chavez doing pinch running/defensive replacement duties for the rest of the season. Ackley is going to play everyday it looks like, but with two lefty bats and two righty bats for Wedge to choose from everyday, a platoon seems like the right way to go from here on out out there. If Raul's production with the bat hadn't fallen off after the all-star break, it would have been a harder decision to make. but since it did, it makes things easier for Wedge. The only kink I could see in those plans is if they decide to call-up Romero once Tacoma's season ends in about a week. If he comes up, somebody is gonna sit, because there's no point in bringing him up, only to have him be a spectator for the rest of the season.

Baseballnut77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and lets not forget on the same day kendry was claimed and now there is a 72 hour window to make a trade

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we don't just give up Morales for some player to be named later and cash consideration

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we don't just give up Morales for some player to be named later and cash consideration

I don't think he'll get traded. I have no information to back that opinion up, but I just don't think it'll happen. At this point, the Mariners should be doing everything they can to convince him to re-sign for multiple seasons and to me, trading him is not a great way of showing a player that he's wanted by the team trading him. Cliff Lee is the only player I can think of in recent times who got traded away by a team and then went back to that team as soon as he could.

Most players, I think, view getting traded as an insult or as a sign that the team trading them doesn't want them anymore and they (the players) have no interest in going back when the opportunity presents itself. Even if Morales doesn't take it that way himself, you can be sure his agent will put the idea into his head if a trade does happen. Hell, there are players who take offense to even having their name out there in trade discussions or being left unprotected at the waiver trade deadline, even if they never actually get traded.

If the Mariners don't want to make it appear as if they don't want Morales back, they need to make it virtually impossible for the team that claimed him to get him. If the claiming team then makes an offer that the Mariners would be stupid to refuse, then they need to make that clear to Morales and continue to insist to him that they want him back as part of the nucleus of the team despite appearances to the contrary.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Harang... the Angels are what did him in. He somehow faced them 4 times while facing every other team in the league no more than twice and they torched him. His ERA in those 4 games is 10.38. His ERA against the rest of his opponents combined still isn't great and maybe he gets DFA'd no matter what, but the Angels did more than any other team to hasten that exit.

Oh well. His designation opens up a spot in the rotation for Maurer or Walker, and at this point it's hard for me to believe that it's going to be anyone but Walker getting the nod even if, with his innings limit in place, he doesn't go for very long in the games he does start for the M's. It's been inferred by so many people in the last couple of days that Walker is going to get the call that it would be a huge disappointment if the Mariners didn't bring him up now. I didn't think they'd call him up this year, but barring a situation where the Rainiers need him to pitch to keep their playoff hopes alive, it looks like it's gonna happen.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Walker it is