• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lynch 2015 contract details

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong on these details:

2015 Base: $5M
2015 Per Game Bonus: $125K (16 x 125K = $2M)

Cap Hit: $8.5M
Dead Money: $1.5M

My question is surrounding his signing bonus..

I'm seeing an additional $1.5M signing bonus number being applied to his total 2015 figure, but hasn't he already received that pro-rated $1.5M portion being attributed to 2015?

In other words, isn't Lynch's max pay-out next year $7M? And not $8.5M?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever it is, it's a bargain.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, just when you think they got him stopped he blows them and everyone watching away. Its amazing the talent assembled on this team, and amazing that they still lose on occasion. That is football. Pay the man, he is worth so much more than just the yards he gains.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF.....and again IF we ride this thing out and it ends the way we all want it to.... I would actually be surprised if he DIDNt retire.... ride off in the sunset on a high note, Leave the people asking what if.... ala Jim Brown and Barry Sanders

The man runs so damn hard... his back is really not good..... .

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

O course it's a bargain but it is still an important question. The Seahawks still have a few guys to sign for next year (most notably wilson and Wagner) and money under the cap is going to be tight. They are going to have to be very creative and difference between $7 million and $8.5 million has the potential to be huge.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree 100%. For a guy that makes that big of difference on offense an 8.5 mill cap hit is more then manageable.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong on these details:

2015 Base: $5M
2015 Per Game Bonus: $125K (16 x 125K = $2M)

Cap Hit: $8.5M
Dead Money: $1.5M

My question is surrounding his signing bonus..

I'm seeing an additional $1.5M signing bonus number being applied to his total 2015 figure, but hasn't he already received that pro-rated $1.5M portion being attributed to 2015?

In other words, isn't Lynch's max pay-out next year $7M? And not $8.5M?

You cannot bump up prorated signing bonus money. It has to be spread out over the course of the contract or if the contract is longer than 5 years then over the first 5 years. The money that was changed last off season was essentially incentive money in the contract. So instead of it being he would receive a $500,000 bonus if he rushed for 1,500 yards it was now considered guaranteed money. So while no new money was added to the contract this past off season essentially an extra million was added because of the difficulty of reaching the levels it would have taken to get said bonus money. So then again that means that nothing changed for this next season keeping his Cap Hit at $8.5 million.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More worried than ever that Lynch will even make it to, more or less through, next season anyway. His back and other issues have been worse this year than last and make you wonder if he can return and hold up to this level of punishment for yet another full season. He may just retire IMO.

And Seattle is fucked if he does. Michael is NOT the answer and Turbin? :L Please.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More worried than ever that Lynch will even make it to, more or less through, next season anyway. His back and other issues have been worse this year than last and make you wonder if he can return and hold up to this level of punishment for yet another full season. He may just retire IMO.

And Seattle is fucked if he does. Michael is NOT the answer and Turbin? :L Please.

File that under Wizardhawk and gowazzu02 April 2015 problem..........

And Turbo isn't that bad.. Michael scares the hell out of me when he carries the ball though.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree with this. Turbin and Michael are not Lynch, but then again who is? There isn't anyone else in the NFL that can do what Lynch can on a week to week basis. That said, if Lynch is gone next year, I think the offense will be fine putting more of the load on Wilson's shoulders, which he has shown he is capable of handling the times it's been needed. In the meantime without Lynch, Michael and Turbin will be serviceable, though Michael has to work on holding onto the football. He puts it on the ground way too much.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's fair to assume we'd be totally screwed on offense without Lynch. If we're talking about putting someone else in Lynch's spot and expecting him to do the things that Lynch does as well as Lynch does them, then yeah, we're probably screwed because nobody else on the roster (or in the league, for that matter) can do what he does as well as he does it and it would make no sense to try to make the guys we have into a Lynch clone. I'd like to think, though, that the front office and coaching staff know how unique Lynch is and would be smart enough to realize that trying to run the same offense with someone else wouldn't work as well in the long-run without at least tweaking it to better suit the strengths of the players they have.

Besides, Lynch might be the focal point of the offense, but Wilson isn't exactly chopped liver and if he had to take on more of the responsibility for making the offense go while the team re-calibrated the running game to the strengths of the guys they have to run it, I'm totally comfortable with that. In fact, Wilson is the reason we won't be totally screwed without Lynch.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, Turbin is a fine example of someone who can take over the load, and Michael as a change of pace to that could be very effective. Hell, they were on pace for 200 rushing yards before Lynch came back in this last week. I don't think the running game would suffer that much having those two in there getting the carries, it would just be more spread out between them. Add a later round guy like David Johnson (Northern Iowa) in the 4th or 5th and you have another young, diverse running back group.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way this team just rolls along without Lynch standing pat. Don't fool yourself. Lynch is the heart and soul of this offense. The other two can get some carries, but neither is going to turn a sure loss into an 8 yard gain carrying 5 guys with him. Michael still fumbles way too much. Hell, he fumbled one last night. He also has no ability to adjust on the fly. Lynch can change directions at a moments notice and has killer instincts.

Without Lynch this is at best a 10 win team. No one can convince me otherwise.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think our offense would fall apart without Lynch, but it would be a serious hit. Others would have to step up. We can always find running backs but I don't think there is anyone who would not be a major drop off. Lynch is incredible, and we are fortunate to be watching something so special.

Wilson keeps getting better and better and is already a nightmare for defenses. If his receivers keep improving and he gets more protection, we could see a bit of a shift where defenses make him the first priority which could open up the running game for a less capable back than Lynch.
That said, I really hope he is back next season even if they have to limit his carries.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Lynch this is at best a 10 win team. No one can convince me otherwise.

Lynch is a stud, and you may be right they are a 10 win team without him, but if they drop next week's game, they are only an 11 win team anyway, so a super star RB may be worth 2 games. The thing is, people seem to think that no one can put up his numbers because his running style, but honestly other running styles work within offenses that have been dominated by top notch runners.

Vikings - Ranked 15th, last year they were ranked 8th. No one could have thought that Adrian Peterson missing all but 1 game wouldn't have cost the Vikings some games, especially with a rookie QB in there, but they really aren't any worse off without him. The team will finish with a better record this year than last year, and their rookie has gotten experience without depending too much on one player. Their two man platoon has over a 1000 yards rushing, and another 430 receiving. They actually have more yards from scrimmage (1447) than Peterson had last year (1437), only 1 fewer TD (10 compared to 11) and only 1 fumble compared to Peterson's 5 last year. Are they individually better than Peterson, no, but they've given the Vikings what Peterson gave them in 2013.

Ravens - Ray Rice's 2013 wasn't very good. 984 yards from scrimmage and less than 4 yards per touch isn't anything to be proud of for a man of his talent. There was hope that he'd return to his 2012 form, and give the team the RB they had when they went to the Super Bowl. They have gotten that production, just not from Rice. Forsett - a guy that most saw as being only a supporting back, like Turbin - has carried the load. He's got more rushing yards this season than 2012 Rice (1147 to 1143) even if he's not quite there for yards from scrimmage (1393 to 1621), but he's putting up nearly an entire yard more per carry.

Texans - Last year Arian Foster went down very early in the 8th game after getting 542 yards and 1 TD rushing in the first seven games. In the next seven in relief, Ben Tate gain 452 yards and 3 TDs before he too was hurt.

Bears - 2011 Matt Forte missed the last 4 games of the season, the Bears averaged 145.5 yards rushing in those games, compared to 119 when he was in. Missing Cutler had more to do with their losses during that stretch than missing Forte (they average 133.5 yards passing and had 9 picks in those games).

I'm not saying Lynch won't be missed, or anything like that, but that RB is a position that isn't too difficult to replace if needed. I'd prefer he stay, but I'm not thinking the offense loses credibility as a unit if he's gone. My hope is, that if he's in the league next year, he's in a Seahawk uni (last thing we need is for another NFC west team to pick him up and him play us very angry next year).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is a once a generation runningback. Nobody will replace him. IMO he's the best 'hard back' since Jim Brown.

Michael fumbles way too much, so Seattle needs to find a replacement before Lynch hangs up his cleats which is likely next year. As much as I wish for Michael to succeed, he just wont. Looked like Lynch during his college days, but end of day on the NFL field, he's nowhere close.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson keeps getting better and better and is already a nightmare for defenses. If his receivers keep improving and he gets more protection, we could see a bit of a shift where defenses make him the first priority which could open up the running game for a less capable back than Lynch.

That' probably a better way of stating it than the stuff I've been posting. Sunday night, the Oline was able to open holes for Turbin that they weren't for Lynch (until the 4th) because the Cards weren't as geared against the run with Turbin as they were for Lynch. Turbin isn't Lynch (neither is Michael) but with Ds not playing the run they way they do Lynch, the running game may be able to put up similar numbers (if not better).

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot bump up prorated signing bonus money. It has to be spread out over the course of the contract or if the contract is longer than 5 years then over the first 5 years. The money that was changed last off season was essentially incentive money in the contract. So instead of it being he would receive a $500,000 bonus if he rushed for 1,500 yards it was now considered guaranteed money. So while no new money was added to the contract this past off season essentially an extra million was added because of the difficulty of reaching the levels it would have taken to get said bonus money. So then again that means that nothing changed for this next season keeping his Cap Hit at $8.5 million.

I understand the bonus has to be spread out over the course of the contract with respect to the accrued Cap Hit number, but what I'm specifically asking is if that $1.5M pro-rated portion has already been paid out in cash as part of his guaranteed dollars when he signed the contract?

Essentially, I'm interested in tracking accrual basis cap dollars vs. cash basis cap dollars.

My guess is that it's already been paid out because $1.5M of the $8.5M total is being classified as "dead money" (meaning, regardless if he plays next year or not, the $1.5M still counts against the cap).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the bonus has to be spread out over the course of the contract with respect to the accrued Cap Hit number, but what I'm specifically asking is if that $1.5M pro-rated portion has already been paid out in cash as part of his guaranteed dollars when he signed the contract?

Essentially, I'm interested in tracking accrual basis cap dollars vs. cash basis cap dollars.

My guess is that it's already been paid out because $1.5M of the $8.5M total is being classified as "dead money" (meaning, regardless if he plays next year or not, the $1.5M still counts against the cap).

Bonus money is paid upfront. The cap hit is allowed to be spread out up to 5 seasons (teams can choose the way this money affects their cap, but has to be specified in the contract). So, if a player is paid a 15 million dollar bonus over 5 years, spread evenly, then he is paid $15 million immediately, but instead of $15 million going against the cap that first year, it's $3 million over the next 5. Hopefully, that explains it....

And yes, dead money is how much counts against the cap whether he is cut, traded, retires or in any way does not remain with the team.