• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Luke Walton

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why the NBA has become ass backwards.

Walton trumpets foul disparity: 'It's not right'

Love this comment by Luke:

Watch how Josh Hart plays this game. He played 40 minutes tonight. All he does is attack the rim. Zero free throws tonight. Zero. So to me, it doesn't matter. I know they're young, I get that. But if we are going to play a certain way, let's not reward people for flopping 30 feet from the hole on plays that have nothing to do with that possession. They're just flopping just to see if they get a foul call. And then not reward players that are physically going to the basket and getting hit. It's not right."

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 fouls to 26.

Not a big disparity at all

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s becoming a joke and I’m glad someone has the nuts to say something. James Harden flops
More than anyone and gets more bullshit calls than anyone because of flopping.

When you reward guys like this and turn your head to others completely it’s pretty bad

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NBA wants a jump shooting contest and not call fouls going to the rim and in the paint then so be it.

It’s alteady watered down. Teams taking 50 3s a game now.

It’s like they want no physical play at all

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nba is doing just fine. Don't watch if you don't like it.

pretty simple

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 fouls to 26.

I don't think you are grasping what he's saying.

He's not talking about the disparity between the fouls called. He's talking about guys driving to the basket and not getting calls. While fouls are being called when a guy flops shooting a jumper.

He's not wrong either. Josh Hart was attacking the rim all night and got zero free throws. There were several drives by Lebron where he was fouled and there were no calls. I remember one drive to the hoop where 3 different players fouled him and there was no call.

It's not just the Lakers either. It seems to be league wide. I think Luke is speaking up because, with their pace, attacking the rim is a huge part of the Lakers offense.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you are grasping what he's saying.

He's not talking about the disparity between the fouls called. He's talking about guys driving to the basket and not getting calls. While fouls are being called when a guy flops shooting a jumper.

He's not wrong either. Josh Hart was attacking the rim all night and got zero free throws. There were several drives by Lebron where he was fouled and there were no calls. I remember one drive to the hoop where 3 different players fouled him and there was no call.

It's not just the Lakers either. It seems to be league wide. I think Luke is speaking up because, with their pace, attacking the rim is a huge part of the Lakers offense.

Exactly. Lakers living in the paint and at the rim, all at a furious pace right now.

And I don’t want to see a foul fest either. Just quit rewarding the tards like Harden flopping and call fouls in the paint or you will have more brawls. Pretty simple

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Lakers living in the paint and at the rim, all at a furious pace right now.

And I don’t want to see a foul fest either. Just quit rewarding the tards like Harden flopping and call fouls in the paint or you will have more brawls. Pretty simple

Fouls were called in the paint last night. Aldridge had 18 free throws attempts and he plays inside

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron took 11 free throws last night. 2nd most on the night.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50 3's a game means teams are avg that amount.

stfu no one said anything about averaging 50 3s.

Mavs took 47 3s last night. Yes teams are taking close to 50 3s in a game. That’s a shitload of jumpers

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 fouls to 26.

He specifically mentioned Josh Hart. Watch the game highlights, Hart jumped and finished on heavey contact several times. I love that kid.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
29 fouls to 26.

Fouls were called in the paint last night. Aldridge had 18 free throws attempts and he plays inside

Lebron took 11 free throws last night. 2nd most on the night.

None of these quotes do anything to disprove what Luke has said or what has been said on this thread. It's like you're having a completely different discussion.

Here is a factoid that supports Luke's complaints:

In the 3 games so far, Lakers opponents have shot 97 free throws, the Lakers have shot 73. This despite the fact that the Lakers are attacking the basket more than pretty much every other team in the league.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of these quotes do anything to disprove what Luke has said or what has been said on this thread. It's like you're having a completely different discussion.

Here is a factoid that supports Luke's complaints:

In the 3 games so far, Lakers opponents have shot 97 free throws, the Lakers have shot 73. This despite the fact that the Lakers are attacking the basket more than pretty much every other team in the league.

I find it hard to believe the refs are intentionally not calling fouls for the Lakers which is basically what Walton is trying to say. The league want the Lakers to be great.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Especially when Harden is the guy who always initiates the contact...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it hard to believe the refs are intentionally not calling fouls for the Lakers which is basically what Walton is trying to say. The league want the Lakers to be great.

I'm not sure it's necessarily intentional in the sense that there's some kind of conspiracy or something.

I think a lot of it boils down to a couple of things.

1. The Lakers have a lot of young, inexperienced guys. We all know that there is a history in the NBA of young guys not getting calls. Luke even alluded to that in his comments when he said "I know we have a lot of young guys, but..."

Announcers even joke about it on air. As you pointed out earlier, Lebron shot 11 free throws. Meanwhile, Josh Hart, who was attacking the basket more than Lebron, can't even get one free throw.

2. Nobody really seems to understand the new "freedom of movement" rules or how to apply them, including the refs. Part of the byproduct of that seems to be a lot more fouls being called on jump shots and fewer called on drives to the basket.

I think that as the season wears on, we'll see some clarification of the "freedom of movement" rules and things will get back to closer to normal.

But for now, players and coaches are getting a little frustrated. Luke was just the first one to address it as bluntly as he did (or at least the first one willing to be fined for it lol).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah seriously.

Walton is lobbying for his team- which is what he is supposed to do- but it does not seem exactly justified at this point. Especially after just 3 games.

I do have to say- LeBron does not get nearly the calls he should at times. He gets hit but the refs rarely call it as he is so big and strong. He is not as skilled as selling the contact like a Harden is- but its definitely there.

However, this year, I can also see where LeBron will be facing more double teams (and even triple teams) then he has in a long long time considering the lack of shooting around him. The defense can play off guys much more than they could when Love or Bosh are drawing a big man out of the middle, and say Ray Allen or Kyle Korver are looming on the 3 pt line ready to bury open 3's.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton is lobbying for his team- which is what he is supposed to do- but it does not seem exactly justified at this point. Especially after just 3 games.

I do have to say- LeBron does not get nearly the calls he should at times. He gets hit but the refs rarely call it as he is so big and strong. He is not as skilled as selling the contact like a Harden is- but its definitely there.

Luke's issue is with the fact that the Lakers are driving to the basket at a higher rate than pretty much everyone, but aren't getting any calls.

Lebron shot 11 free throws against the Spurs, but should have had several more. On one of his drives to the basket, he was literally fouled by 3 different players and there was no call.

As Luke pointed out, Josh Hart played nearly 40 minutes and didn't get a single free throw.

As I said earlier, I think a lot of this is a combination of the Lakers being young and the new "freedom of movement" rules.