• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOW-N-SLOW smoked pork buttz!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inspiration tonight...a 1-22 BA by my nephew who broke out in his last two ballgames. Current streak is 5-6 AB with 3 walkz and gawd knows how many runs scored. Teams 3-1 in the current tourney and me kid is scheduled to pitch sometime Saturday. Single elimination tourney starting tomorrow.

On the Menu:

-2 smoked pork buttz @ 15 lbs total- burn time 6-8 hours, alder wood smoke and dry-rubbed 24 hours ago. Hogie buns with assorted topping, you choose what's on the table.

-Coleslaw... don't know how the woman does it, don't care either-it B good...

-Red potato salad..again, don't care...it B good.

-Spiked OR unspiked lemonade, fully-iced-n-ready to go.

-assorted " mint leaf-infused" melon fruits, iced-n-ready to go.

Over/under games played tomorrow? 2 from my perspective.

enjoy and "burnt" aint the end of the world either...

Last edited:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I likes me some pork butts

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just went to the grocery store, and they had pork shoulder $2.80 off. Which left it at $1.09 per pound. So I grabbed 4 of them for a total of about 30 pounds of pork butts in my fridge and freezer right now.

1 I will probably throw in the crock pot until it shreds, then mix with (east Carolina style) bbq sauce and throw it in the fridge for a weeks worth of sandwiches.

Another 1 or 2 I will probably chop up into "country style ribs" which is my absolute favorite summer/grill meal in the entire world. Cook em low and slow on the grill, in the oven, or in a smoker (I admit I'm not very good with a smoker, I don't do it often enough to get the hang of it, which makes me not WANT to do it because other ways turn out better for me) then slap some (Memphis style) bbq sauce on it and finish it on the grill. Flipping it often and re-saucing so it gets a nice lacquer and carmalizes nicely.

But right now a good smoked whole pork butt does sound really good too. I just always get it too smokey and it gets bitter and ashy, or I don't get any smoke flavor at all. My stupid smoker gets too hot, the lowest I can get it is like 340 ish. So what I really need to do is figure out how to start it in the smoker, when to put in the oven or on the grill at something more like 200-225 ish so the fat can all break down, and then when to go to the grill for the flame kissed finish.

I'm jealous of your smoker skills. But do feel bad for you having that giant summer feast with no corn on the cob. That's what really would seal the deal for me.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did a 6 pounder Sunday for Fathers Day. That shit's hard to beat.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm jealous of your smoker skills. But do feel bad for you having that giant summer feast with no corn on the cob. That's what really would seal the deal for me.

Love corn on the cob as well, but it going to be 97 degrees by the time we eat today...thought cold salads and cold fruit worked best here.

as for your smoker-n-skills, bamabear knows best as we have the same smoker unit I believe. Pound for pound this smoker does it's job for the buck spent. Why did my font style change again?

Here's what I have for somewhere around 2-300 bucks depending on size of unit...

Unknown.jpeg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome day yesterday, food was terrific. Baseball game last nite was even better.
Nephew hit the bump and ended up with these stats pitching and batting.

Game: Under the lights with a start time of 8pm. Those kids never get to play at night or rarely do.

Pitching stats for nephew: 92 pitches throw thru 5... 6 hits, 7 Ks, 2 walks and no earned runs given up. Left the game with a 2-1.

Batting stats: 1-3 with a double to RC wall, 1 RBI. 1st AB was a bloop liner down the RF line with kids at 2nd-n-3rd...RFielder made a diving catch saving 2 runs from scoring with this 3rd out play.

Outfuckingstanding.

Champ game to played today. Can't wait for that one to start.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got an 11 pound pork shoulder finishing up on the grill.
Added mesquite chips to the charcoal

Might have a problem sharing with the guests.