• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LMAO @ HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the Bullets in 1978, but sample size is an issue here, as there's only been 6 Game 7's in the Finals since then.

Prior to those 6, all won by the home team, the away team won 3 out of 4.

And let's not forget the reason that the home team is playing at home.... its because they are the better team. Perhaps they won because they were the better team... not just because they were at home.:noidea:

Perhaps. But I would argue that they weren't that much better.....or it wouldn't have gone to 7 to begin with.

Of several of the 7-game series (Lakers-Pistons in 88, Spurs-Pistons in I believe 05 and Heat-Spurs last year) I can easily see the two teams being so near equal that playing Game 7 in the other team's arena could have led to a different outcome.

All speculation but I doubt there is a Heat fan on the board who would be jumping at the anticipation of a trip to an alternate universe in 2013 where Game 7 was played in San Antonio.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe in certain situations that is true. However, look up the last time the road team won Game 7 in the NBA Finals....

It's gone both ways and I will admit that more times the home court has won, but I think an argument can be made that homecourt had very little to do with it if any. The Lakers homecourt for example against Sacramento came with a Lakers victory because Sacramento went to Hack-A-Shaq and Shaq made his free throws. He stepped up to the plate and did what Dwight Howard so far hasn't done in comparison.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these teams played for HCA in round 1 and 2 days into the playoffs, 5 of those 8 teams no longer have HCA and will be forced to win on the road if they want to advance to the next round :laugh3::laugh3:

If I had to take a guess I would say 3 of the 5 won't win back HCA

That's what is making this years playoffs so much fun. HCA doesn't appear to mean much this season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BULLSHIT - HCA has never meant that much better than zero. Both teams still have to play as hard as they can, coaches still have to call time outs, and everyone still has to contribute. You can't even name more than one or two teams from the last ten years that clearly won an entire series because of HCA. Stop already- you sound retarded

:L

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the Bullets in 1978, but sample size is an issue here, as there's only been 6 Game 7's in the Finals since then.

Prior to those 6, all won by the home team, the away team won 3 out of 4.

And let's not forget the reason that the home team is playing at home.... its because they are the better team. Perhaps they won because they were the better team... not just because they were at home.:noidea:

So basically - we have to back 36 years to find a case where homecourt helped and even then -there's no proof it did?:lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both teams still have to play hard, both teams still have to make shots, both teams still have to rebound and defend those shots. I find it incredibally hard to believe that a team not rebounding shots won because they had a homecourt advantage, but since you believe I am obviously wrong, then provide me with the teams, dates and games played where they won because of HCA instead of good shooting, and good defense, rebounding, free throw shooting, three point shooting and etc. I am sure you can back it up. So let's hear it

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what is making this years playoffs so much fun. HCA doesn't appear to mean much this season.

Neve has - each game is independent of the prior games played. The statistics might make it seem that way at times, but the players decide the outcome with hard work and good shooting

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think HCA in the NBA Finals .... especially in the 2-3-2 format .... was a big deal.

He went back to 1978 to find a time when the home team lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

Back before the 2-3-2.

2-3-2 is gone now. One of the biggest complaints against the 2-3-2 was it gave the team with HCA too much of an unfair advantage.

So, at least in the NBA Finals, somebody somewhere with some pull believed HCA was a pretty big deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neve has - each game is independent of the prior games played. The statistics might make it seem that way at times, but the players decide the outcome with hard work and good shooting

The difference is in the role players. It has been proven statistically that role/bench players perform better at home. That is why HCA is important.

For star players, HCA doesn't mean all that much. But playoff series are often determined by which teams role players perform better and they typically perform better at home.

Remember the Lakers/Celtics game 7? The Lakers and Celtics star players essentially cancelled each other out in that game. The outcome was ultimately decided by guys like D-Fish and MWP.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is in the role players. It has been proven statistically that role/bench players perform better at home. That is why HCA is important.

For star players, HCA doesn't mean all that much. But playoff series are often determined by which teams role players perform better and they typically perform better at home.

Remember the Lakers/Celtics game 7? The Lakers and Celtics star players essentially cancelled each other out in that game. The outcome was ultimately decided by guys like D-Fish and MWP.

Because of terrific shooting - not homecourt advantage. Robert Horry's famous shot happened in Sacrament in a must win game. Fisher's shot in 0.7 seconds came in San Antonio. The Home court may help a little, but unless there is really good shooting, strong defense, and strong rebounding - HCA will mean nothing. What HCA does give is extra money to the teams

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of terrific shooting - not homecourt advantage. Robert Horry's famous shot happened in Sacrament in a must win game. Fisher's shot in 0.7 seconds came in San Antonio. The Home court may help a little, but unless there is really good shooting, strong defense, and strong rebounding - HCA will mean nothing. What HCA does give is extra money to the teams

Terrific shooting? Both teams shot horrible in that game. As for the Horry and D-Fish shots. At least one of Horry's shots was at Staples, not Sacramento when Vlade tipped the rebound and it went straight to Robert Horry.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point Trojan - I grant you that HCA can help a little, but there are many factors that affect the outcome of the game. Any one with a background in probability and statistics in college will tell you that what affects the game is a combination of

Shooting
Rebounding
3 point shooting
Defensive play
passing

and how they add up together. You can't say all of those things cancelled each other out and it came down to home court. The Lakers won a championship from the third seed in 2002. They didn't need it because they were the best. In 2000, everyone thought Portland was going to beat the Lakers in the WCF's and they didn't - but HCA had nothing to do with that outcome. There is no statistics or data to back up HCA in the playoffs.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HCA may be overstated but it is important, other wise nobody would play for playoff seeds.

I can just list off the things that help the home team from sleeping in their own bed and having their routines and personal chefs.

Or the plus of playing in front of your own fans. Some players may like to be booed but I bet they like to be cheered so much more.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing the point Trojan - I grant you that HCA can help a little...

Then you agree, EOT None of us think it matters as much as TMZPN says, but it is important to some degree.

Please remember that this thread was started because away team records were such an anomaly at 52.6% win percentage, not to actually discuss the weight of HCA because we all already know it is a big deal.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you agree, EOT None of us think it matters as much as TMZPN says, but it is important to some degree.

Please remember that this thread was started because away team records were such an anomaly at 52.6% win percentage, not to actually discuss the weight of HCA because we all already know it is a big deal.

I said it can help a little, but I think you also have to face the facts - It hasn't helped any of the teams this year and I think a good argument can be made to say it never has helped that much. Remember not helping that much could be 1% or 5% - but I will sah that 90 to 95% of the outcomes depends on the the players actually do - Not where they are.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still waiting by the way for the documentation you all have on how and where home court advantage has actually helped teams. I would love to know what data anyone has that says how much hca has helped percentage wise.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was 0.4 seconds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mav2iBA1cwo]Derek Fisher 0.4 Second Game Winner .vs Spurs in Playoffs - YouTube[/ame]

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it can help a little, but I think you also have to face the facts - It hasn't helped any of the teams this year and I think a good argument can be made to say it never has helped that much. Remember not helping that much could be 1% or 5% - but I will sah that 90 to 95% of the outcomes depends on the the players actually do - Not where they are.

Nobody is saying that the geographic location (aside from Denver) has a ton to do with the outcome or that basketball courts are different in every stadium (although the scientist in me is certain that several minor differences in each basketball court could be found).

Excluding ref percentages it is 100% what the players do on the court that decides the outcome of the game.

The fact is home players have advantages that the away players not. It really is not that difficult to grasp.

Players are people, people are weird and have routines and tendencies. This affects the players on court production.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying that the geographic location (aside from Denver) has a ton to do with the outcome or that basketball courts are different in every stadium (although the scientist in me is certain that several minor differences in each basketball court could be found).

Excluding ref percentages it is 100% what the players do on the court that decides the outcome of the game.

The fact is home players have advantages that the away players not. It really is not that difficult to grasp.

Players are people, people are weird and have routines and tendencies. This affects the players on court production.

Okay name them and explain how it has actually helped them win games. Please provide dates of game where that has been the case.