• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Listening to random FM radio from 20+ years ago

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
75 minutes posted to youtube of "March 2003 Alternative Rock Radio Broadcast - 105.7 The Point FM St. Louis, MO"

Starts off in the middle of "Headstrong" by Trapt. Just what I am looking for, randomness, as though you went back in time and flicked on a radio station. The singer for Trapt, as we now know, is not bright.

Next is "You Know You're Right" by Nirvana followed by the Foo Fighters' "My Hero." The Nirvana song kind of sounds like Young Marble Giants. The demo of "Exhausted" by Foo Fighters is an actual good track by them. Hear a little bit of that.

The next song I've never heard of. Initially I mistake it for being a band like Deftones. After the intro it's obviously godawful emo pop punk/rock that was trending around this time. "What It Is To Burn" by Finch. Finch crossed my radar just enough to know I hate them as soon as I come across the name. Didn't hear them on the radio, I came across them on Much Music back in the day.

Commercial break 14 minutes in. Promo for Red Hot Chili Peppers featuring Queens of the Stone and the Mars Volta. The voice acting in the next ad reads is pretty over the top. Promo for event featuring Good Charlotte and Newfound Glory. Blech, just as worthless and obnoxious as Finch. I crack up during the next ad leading with, "Larry likes to refer to himself in the third person" not because this Larry character is particularly funny to me, because the voice acting strikes me as less over the top than previous ones. Followed by a Sprint ad that actually sounds normal. The bumpers this radio station uses are too busy, cramming way too many noises into a small space, too jarring. I'm glad the rock stations I used to listen to weren't like that.

"Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence. Probably the most heavily played rock song in early 2003. Next the DJ announces world premiere of new Linkin Park, "Lying From You." Not one of their most enduring tracks probably. I remember this one a little. I try to anticipate the chorus lyric and I think, "The very worst part of me is you" and turns out I mixed up the pronouns.

"Chop Suey" by System of a Down. This band was a darling of some critics. At this point, I'm figuring this could be the kind of corporate station that keeps "Chop Suey" in its rotation and almost every other System of a Down falls out after it's been out awhile.

New music: "Skin" by Breaking Benjamin. Wasn't "Polyamorous" the song that put them on the map? I didn't know they were around mainstream FM radio this early, and that song title is the only thing spicy about them. I have always had Breaking Benjamin pegged as so middle of the road. Very little about them screams good quality or bad quality. They're kind of alt-metal, like the intersection between nu metal and post-grunge. Maybe a less sophisticated Chevelle. Breaking Benjamin are to 21st century rock what Stone Temple Pilots were to 20th century, in terms of constantly being middle of the road.

The DJ, Emmett, announces caller 105 will receive Good Charlotte tickets. As if on cue, "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots is played next. I started listening to rock radio in 2001. How was it that 11 or 12 songs from STP's first 2 albums were radio staples at that time? Followed by "The Anthem" by Good Charlotte. Took me a minute into the song to realize it was them. It might be 18 or 20 years since I've heard Good Charlotte and it's unlistenable as ever, I was dropping expletives and losing my composure. The lyric "Don't wanna be just like you" is funny; there were 100,000 bands before and since who sounded like these guys. The song I remember by the is "Lifestyles of the Rich & the Famous" and when I look up the bios of the twin brothers who front the band they've been with Cameron Diaz, Nicole Richie, Hilary Duff. Diaz at age 51 just had a baby with one of them?

"Comedown" by Bush. Another band with like STP with at least 5 enduring singles on a debut album. I'm not sure what the pecking order is at this point. I'd put "Glycerine" in last place. "Everything Zen" goes second to worst. It's a crapshoot where the other 3 would rank. I used to really love "Machinehead", then I grew up. New music: "Not Falling" by Mudvayne. If we're being real about it Mudvayne is not a band that is easy to dismiss as you might think despite the silly stage presence and riding the nu metal trend. You have to give Mudvayne due consideration. I imagine rednecks living outside the sticks of the St. Louis metro were loving the band at this time.

Commercial break 49 minutes in. White Castle ad featuring husband and wife. It tips you off early in it's a White Castle ad and there's this suspense as though something crazy is going to happen as he goes to pick them up and it just ends with the husband fawning over the White Castles watching monster trucks on tv late at night while the wife ends up sitting there in silence? First ad heard for the second time: guy named "Attillio" from Attillio's Fitness, Nutrition, & Weight Loss talking about creatine supplement that now tastes good. He sounds off his rocker, I have to think he must have dealt with a mound of legal issues in his time. The final ad is a really random sounding spot, female DJ from something called Coke FM playing part of a rock track, some station affiliated with Coca Cola apparently.

"I Stand Alone" by Godsmack. These verses sound like crap, so lazy. Interesting that the radio edit cuts off the end. Godsmack's trajectory is unusual. They put an album out in 2018 that while still being heavy sounds euphoric and happy. I'm sure many long time fans were disappointed. "Santeria" by Sublime. Never liked it, sounds unoriginal, and it's a good example of a song I'd get sick to death of hearing it more than 3 times a month. I'm just now noticing how violent these lyrics seem to be.

New music: "Down" by Socialburn. Yes!!! Winner winner chicken dinner!!! One hour in and the experiment pays off. I don't care if the melody is basic and the singer could easily be mistaken for Wes from Puddle of Mudd. I have perhaps not once had Socialburn cross my stream of consciousness in the last 20 years. Not surprisingly they only did 2 albums. Completely forgot about this one. What a treat to hear this catchy tune again.

"The Red" by Chevelle. (Completing my thought on Breaking Benjamin.) Chevelle seemed to be experiencing turmoil around the time they got big so I'll give them credit that they've stuck around a long time unlike most of their peers. Guy from All American Rejects tells me I'm listening to 105.7 The Point. Ooh boy. Well, most of what has been played is passable stuff that gets stale within this kind of format. The Finch, Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, Newfound Glory stuff, etc. would make me change the station almost every time. Judging from this sample, 15-20% of what they play(ed) are those pop-punk bands.

"My Way" by Limp Bizkit.

Commercial break 72 minutes in. So again there's an ad for some night school called Crager (Kreger?) University. The ways they're advertising it are so ridiculous I was mishearing it as Prager University at first. Then a Dicky V voiceover for a mountain dew ad. The end.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rock radio played good tracks 20 years ago opposed to shit now.
I haven't listened since 2010. Even when it was better most of them pandered to low common denominators and would avoid playing deeper cuts most of the time.