• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions pick up 5th year option on Riley Reiff

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome, finally something to hang my hat on. Glad they got him for longer. Now lets take care of levy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now lets take care of levy

some posters in here believe Mayhew needs to wait and see what Levy does without Suh. I can see their point to a certain extent but I'm not on board with that thought process 100%. It's a double edged sword, IMO.

I'd like to see Levy extended but NOT Ngata at this point. that's just me though.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some posters in here believe Mayhew needs to wait and see what Levy does without Suh. I can see their point to a certain extent but I'm not on board with that thought process 100%. It's a double edged sword, IMO.

I'd like to see Levy extended but NOT Ngata at this point. that's just me though.
If we don't extend Ngata then we got ass-raped on that trade, imo...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the last thing I want to see is Levy get tagged.

Mayhew needs to wait and see what Ngata has left in the tank before he re-ups him. Not crazy aboot a PEDer in his 30er's getting anything guaranteed past this year. I'd rather see it be a shortsighted trade than one with a shitty impact on the cap for years.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew needs to wait and see what Ngata has left in the tank before he re-ups him

:10:

I'd rather see it be a shortsighted trade than one with a shitty impact on the cap for years.

that's pretty much where I'm at. maybe Ngata stays for a short-term contract, doubtful, but I'm viewing that trade more as a stop gap necessity trade buying them some time. Whether that time is only 1 year or possibly an extra year onto that initial one is up for grabs, imo. People may bitch about that trade if it's only for this season but what was Mayhew going to do after losing Suh and Fairley. The loss of the latter isn't so much of a loss when Suh allegedly made EVERYONE better on the defense. Fairley missed that memo/part, I guess.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll respectfully disagree. I wasn't happy at all giving up more than a 5th yet alone a 4th and 5th. Mayhew had options but I'm pretty sure Caldwell and Austin both had a say in that trade. At that particular time we had 1 DT in rookie Caraun Reid, unless you're looking at Xavier Proctor or Roy Philon as a depth DT. Mayhew did what he pretty had to do. Langford wanted to play a 5-tech according to some reports. Pot Roast must not have been in that equation at all just as much as Dan Williams. I'm assuming. If you look back at Mayhew's 4th and 5th round draft picks as a whole, he's not been successful to date. Now, do I think Mayhew gave up a little too much ? YES.

I truly believe you have to weigh all the parameters there and not just coming from a fan, who just might be quite biased.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I always, kind of, sort of, looked at Mayhew as being that cock-sucker more than a rear-ended guy but Ozzie more or less had his way with Mayhew no matter how you look at it. Maybe, just Maybe, Ozzie took it easy on his buddy Mayhew..... deep throat was alive in that trade :noidea:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Ngata has a good season, leaves and get a good sized contract elsewhere.... We could get a 3rd round compensatory pick. So it would be like trading a 4th and a 5th, for a 3rd next year?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Levy will be fine playing behind Ngata this year.
Problem with extending Levy now is.... His value won't be any higher than it is now. Even if he goes to the pro bowl next year.... He will be a year older.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could get a 3rd round compensatory pick. So it would be like trading a 4th and a 5th, for a 3rd next year?

I don't really see him getting a huge contract being that he'll turn 32 next year but if he does sign elsewhere I could see the possibility of a 4th. I'm not sold that a team would be willing to spend megabucks on him. It will depend on what teams have in money to spend.

Shoot, Raiders signed C Rodney Hudson this year and ALL OF HIS GUARANTEED $$$ are in this years cap hit. A smart move by them but then again they had nearly 60M to spend.

Rodney Hudson Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see age as an issue for someone of Ngata's size. He was never a speed demon and he will always command 2 blockers. He has 3 good years and 2 average years left assuming he wants to play that long.

As far as Levy goes, was he even on the same side of the field as Suh? Suh was the left DT and Levy was the right (weakside) OLB. I am finding the whole opinion that "Suh made him better" as somewhat short sighted.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this and it is definitely not something I would have said a few years ago. He has grown leaps and bounds the last two years.

I don't see much change at all from Levy, with or without Suh. Ngata is going to eat the same amount of double teams and Levy will still have room to make plays and what impressed me the most with Levy is his ball skills and his coverage -- which has nothing to do with Suh.

Ngata -- I'd use the wait and see approach. He was having a great year in 2014, before the adderall suspension. No reason to jump the gun with him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see age as an issue for someone of Ngata's size. He was never a speed demon and he will always command 2 blockers. He has 3 good years and 2 average years left assuming he wants to play that long.

As far as Levy goes, was he even on the same side of the field as Suh? Suh was the left DT and Levy was the right (weakside) OLB. I am finding the whole opinion that "Suh made him better" as somewhat short sighted.
Was he the right OLB or the weakside OLB? Schwartz ran a right and a left OLB (which is pretty unusual), but Austin's scheme utilizes a strong and weak backer, like most schemes do nowadays...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was he the right OLB or the weakside OLB? Schwartz ran a right and a left OLB (which is pretty unusual), but Austin's scheme utilizes a strong and weak backer, like most schemes do nowadays...

Technically it is the weakside. The right side is the weak side in Austins defense I believe.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically it is the weakside. The right side is the weak side in Austins defense I believe.
The strong or weak side is dictated by how the opposing offense lines up on a play-to-play basis. It changes based on their formation, and further changes when players shift or go in motion. In a general sense, the term itself describes which side the offense has more blockers on...

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strong or weak side is dictated by how the opposing offense lines up on a play-to-play basis. It changes based on their formation, and further changes when players shift or go in motion. In a general sense, the term itself describes which side the offense has more blockers on...

Agreed, but it still means he was not on Suhs side of the field half the time. Probably even less because the if the offense sets up balanced (no TEs or 2 TEs) he would still be on the opposite side of the field. Also and surprisingly, Austin did not move Suh around very much.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but it still means he was not on Suhs side of the field half the time. Probably even less because the if the offense sets up balanced (no TEs or 2 TEs) he would still be on the opposite side of the field. Also and surprisingly, Austin did not move Suh around very much.
That's what I was wondering- I didn't pay attention to whether Suh flipped to the strong or weak side, or if he just kind of stayed right or left, or if he moved around at random?

All-in-all, though, I think we both agree that Levy wasn't/isn't a product of Suh...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I was wondering- I didn't pay attention to whether Suh flipped to the strong or weak side, or if he just kind of stayed right or left, or if he moved around at random?

All-in-all, though, I think we both agree that Levy wasn't/isn't a product of Suh...

I do not think he was a complete product of Suh either. I feel he developed on his own along the way. Just don't mistake Suh's presence did not help. Suh or anyone taking double teams along the front four is going to help all LBs. which is my reason for thinking the dropoff with Ngata will not be that huge. As he is not Suh at this point in his career talent wise. Ngata will command and still get double teamed. So I see the the LBing core still freed up.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think he was a complete product of Suh either. I feel he developed on his own along the way.

from what I've read in here, it was Suh who first made him better then once Ansah came aboard....

I never made that assessment...