• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's talk about rubbing our meats

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never been more disappointed after clicking a link. I was so excited …

Great job on the rubs, y'all.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My best rib rub is:

2 Tbs Paprika
2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tbs salt
1 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs black pepper
1 Tbs Chili powder

I have also put in some Cayenne Pepper if people want some kick.

I'm about the same but I also add

1tbs of dry mustard
1tsp of white pepper
1tsp ground cinnamon

Replace the cinnamon with brown sugar for me. I also like to spritz with 50/50 apple cider vinegar / apple juice.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use that rib rub and then cook @ 300 in the oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Last 15 min on the grill if you want BBQ sauce.
I do pork roasts, with a similar rub, but add apple jelly as a glaze after searing.

usually crank the grill as high as possible, slowly roll the roat from one to the other, and then back.
Shut off the interior burners, and leave the outer ones on low, throw the roast up top, fat side up, and basically bake it on the grille for about 45 min a pound.

Comes out amazing.

Wunder.Noid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do pork roasts, with a similar rub, but add apple jelly as a glaze after searing.

usually crank the grill as high as possible, slowly roll the roat from one to the other, and then back.
Shut off the interior burners, and leave the outer ones on low, throw the roast up top, fat side up, and basically bake it on the grille for about 45 min a pound.

Comes out amazing.
I like the ideal of using apple jelly. May have to try that out.

Wunder.Noid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@CowpokeU We gonna open up a BBQ joint when I relocate the fam up to god's country? ;)

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love rubbing my meat.....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute.....wrong thread.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a few pork belly recipes I'm itching to try. (This pork belly burnt ends being one of them) <https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends-recipe-and-video/>

Slightly OT but still talking about the belly, have you guys tried your hand at the porchetta? Got Dam that's some good eats!

The first link is the recipe I used and my results are in the first reply to this thread which was quoted from post 691 in the Things We're Cooking thread. Turned out really well and definitely one I'll do again when I can get my hands on some more pork belly.

Wunder.Noid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first link is the recipe I used and my results are in the first reply to this thread which was quoted from post 691 in the Things We're Cooking thread. Turned out really well and definitely one I'll do again when I can get my hands on some more pork belly.
That's the problem I run into. Costco usually carries them but I hate driving all the way across town and fighting the crowds at Costco. Sam's has them every now and then.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to check Sam's which is near where I work (1 your from home) as there isn't a Costco around that I know of. I got my last belly from a friend when his friend killed a hog last month and I'll get more when they kill more, but would like another regular source.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alas, don't have a smoker, but I do rig my grill to do something similar. I like to take pork ribs, remove the membrane and rub with a mixture of paprika, salt, pepper and garlic/onion powder. I'll throw on grill at low-ish temp (250-300) and slow grill. I will usually light up some cured hickory wood to let smoke/smoke in a pan within. Sometimes add sauce, sometimes don't.

Wunder.Noid

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alas, don't have a smoker, but I do rig my grill to do something similar. I like to take pork ribs, remove the membrane and rub with a mixture of paprika, salt, pepper and garlic/onion powder. I'll throw on grill at low-ish temp (250-300) and slow grill. I will usually light up some cured hickory wood to let smoke/smoke in a pan within. Sometimes add sauce, sometimes don't.
I have a WSM and a cheap-ass charbroil vertical smoker but I prefer to smoke my ribs on the grill too. I set up a water pan and smoke indirect with apple wood. I something close to the 3-2-1 and they always turn out on point.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use a stick burner, burning 100% wood always and forever, never charcoal.

Pretty standard rub, recipe I use is in the kitchen. Pretty much what everyone here has mentioned, nothing. I inject apple juice in pork butts bigger than 8lbs, but I generally try to keep them under 7lbs for more smoke flavor per bite.

txTIGER1963

ONE TOKE OVER THE LINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 417.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any of you heathens have any tips on smoking trout?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comes out amazing.

Just recently graduated from my Weber Kettle to a Primo Oval XL and I've been mostly grilling/high heat roasting. For most things not shell seafood or fish, I've been using a butcher blended rub. I just did my 1st full blown lown and slow smoke and it came out great.

I'm fiddling around with mango/citrus rub that has a little kick on fish and seafood...so far it's been a hit...William-Sonoma product.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Comes out amazing.

Sounds good. Ever tried to reverse sear it?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smoke the hell out of it on a Weber charcoal

Pork butt, beef ribs, pork ribs, boudin, salmon, chicken, brisket

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reposting this from another thread where I talked about it briefly.

Just read this, wondering why you would use white sugar and table salt on this?

Brown Sugar adds so much more richness to any savory foods especially, and you're really just using the sugar to carmalize anyways. I feel like brown sugar, and especially dark brown caramelizes more evenly with less burning than white sugar.

And I was recently turned on to the different kinds of salts, once you try a few you can actually taste a huge difference. Any sea salt or Himalayan salt would work better in a dry rub I feel.

For my personal all purpose beef dry rub I have just always eyed things up, so sometimes it ends up a little spicier or sometimes a bit sweeter.
Brown sugar
Smoked paprika (my favorite most important ingredient, 100x better than regular paprika)
Umami powder (made from powdered shiitake mushrooms, but doesn't taste mushroomy. Asian places use it the way they used to use msg)
Black garlic powder (recently discovered this stuff and its amazing)
Onion powder
Black pepper preferably fresh ground
Cayenne pepper powder
Cinnamon (go super light on this, you dont want to taste cinnamon, but a hint of something that you're not really sure what it was)

I dry brine all my meat with large grain Himalayan salt or kosher salt for at least an hour. Put 3-4 times more salt on than you think you need. It will draw a ton of moisture out of your meat for the first half hour and then absorb it and the salt back in. When done brining wipe the excess salt off. Then rub the dry rub on. It doesn't need to sit, because there's no salt in the dry rub I use so letting it sit really wont penetrate the meat much at all. Add some finishing salt at the end, preferably by pretending that you're the "Salt Bae" guy.

My smoker cant hold a constant temperature for shit, and to get anything under about 350 I need to jury rig the shit out a things. So I do WAY more sous vide than anything and finish on my grill or my smoker just to get a good crust.