• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lebron and Melo

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Lebron and Melo will be playing for the Lakers next year with Kobe?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I don't think the Lakers have any interest in 'Melo. I think they will make a very attractive offer to Lebron, but I think he stays in Miami.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance of Lebron coming vanished when the Heat won their second title and Dwight bolted for Houston. I don't think Lebron would have come without the big man Dwight in place. Those two together would be sick.

The only way I would bring in Melo is if he takes a pay cut. No way would I pay him a max salary where he's getting $25+ million per. That's way too much especially in this current CBA.

To answer your question, no.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, if you asked me if I think the Lakers will get a stud PF in the summer of 2015, than I'd answer with an emphatic yes!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go after Carmelo Anthony for a number of reasons but if short Buss has anything do with he'll probably sign Anthony over James. I say I wouldn't go after James either but build through the draft with picks we already have and my be able to pick up with a trade and then keep the majority of the guys we now have and add maybe a KLove depending on what is ultimately done with Gasbag.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say neither. Melo is probably the most likely of the two. Lebron's status (with LA or any other team) rests solely on if the Heat win the title. If they do, there's 0% chance he goes anywhere. He won't give up a chance to 4-peat. LA's only shot, imo, wouldn't really be a basketball pitch but a mogul pitch. Lebron has stated in the past he wants to be a billion dollar athlete. So if I were making a sales pitch to get him to LA, I'd send Magic Johnson to him and basically say "Look. I've (Magic) been crazy successful in business and I know you want that too. Come to LA and I'll mentor you, introduce you to the many investors and entrepreneurs CA has, and you can still play for a big time franchise.". Chances of that happening? 0.001%

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers will be going after any decent free agent they can get their hands on.

And if Kobe continues to rest and is almost guaranteed 100% at the start of next season, I can almost certainly see 'Melo coming to LA.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK Shaqdaddy that approach smacks of desperation and I still think would be based on just spending money for spending money's sake. If they have to go after a FA, the far better choice would be James but I don't think he is leaving Miami. An even better scenario on a number of levels would be to sign KLove and and trade for Tyson Chandler.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK Shaqdaddy that approach smacks of desperation and I still think would be based on just spending money for spending money's sake. If they have to go after a FA, the far better choice would be James but I don't think he is leaving Miami. An even better scenario on a number of levels would be to sign KLove and and trade for Tyson Chandler.

:agree: The stretch 4 that D'Antoni's offense likes and a defensive minded center who isn't likely to complain about "touches".

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I don't think the Lakers have any interest in 'Melo. I think they will make a very attractive offer to Lebron, but I think he stays in Miami.

This.

VT_Antzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Care to revisit this scenario?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers still don't get both. However, the Lakers interest in 'Melo rumors won't go away. I think they will make the best offer that they can to each of them and see if either of them bite. Personally, I don't think either one will.

Word is that Kobe and 'Melo have had some conversations and I can only assume that he's spoken to Lebron a time or 2 as well. I think the Lakers chances of landing either of them would likely hinge on what Kobe says re: his own health and role with the team and on Pau's willingness to re-sign (which would probably be a slam dunk if the Lakers can land either of them).

End of the day, I think that Lebron stays in Miami and 'Melo goes to the Bulls or stays in New York. Of the 2, unfortunately, I think 'Melo is the one the Lakers are most likely to get. It's said that he and his family love New York and L.A. offers much of what New York does, only with better weather.

Last edited by a moderator:

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramona Shelburne showed how it's possible for the Lakers to get both:

"It's not a catbird seat like Miami will be in for as long as LeBron James is there, and it's not as strong of a foundation as teams that already have two young stars like Houston, Portland or Chicago are working with. But it's a something. And things could really get interesting if the Lakers can find a way to package Nash with the No. 7 pick in a deal -- likely after July 1 -- that doesn't return any salary (say for a future draft pick or a veteran on a non-guaranteed deal) so they clear between $11 and $12 million in salary for this free-agent summer, giving them over $30 million in cap space to work with.

That's enough so that if two of this year's superstar free agents -- LeBron, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, etc. -- each took a little less ($15-16 million each) and wanted to play together and alongside Kobe Bryant, they could form a pretty hellacious threesome. It's also plenty of money with which to woo one superstar on a max deal and a player in the $10-12 million range, like Luol Deng, or re-sign Pau Gasol."

I would prefer the Lebron/Pau combo over Lebron/Melo. Lakers could sign Lebron and Lance Stephenson. :whistle:

But I don't think Lakers get any of these marquee guys. Will probably have to settle for the next tier.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we get either...but we should do what we have to, to make a realistic offer for both of them. I've been on board with following the Spurs model...but I don't have a problem with them throwing their hat into the race to get both of them. I think Lebron ends up staying in Miami however

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramona Shelburne showed how it's possible for the Lakers to get both:

"It's not a catbird seat like Miami will be in for as long as LeBron James is there, and it's not as strong of a foundation as teams that already have two young stars like Houston, Portland or Chicago are working with. But it's a something. And things could really get interesting if the Lakers can find a way to package Nash with the No. 7 pick in a deal -- likely after July 1 -- that doesn't return any salary (say for a future draft pick or a veteran on a non-guaranteed deal) so they clear between $11 and $12 million in salary for this free-agent summer, giving them over $30 million in cap space to work with.

That's enough so that if two of this year's superstar free agents -- LeBron, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, etc. -- each took a little less ($15-16 million each) and wanted to play together and alongside Kobe Bryant, they could form a pretty hellacious threesome. It's also plenty of money with which to woo one superstar on a max deal and a player in the $10-12 million range, like Luol Deng, or re-sign Pau Gasol."

I would prefer the Lebron/Pau combo over Lebron/Melo. Lakers could sign Lebron and Lance Stephenson. :whistle:

But I don't think Lakers get any of these marquee guys. Will probably have to settle for the next tier.

Total pipe dream and the Lakers are in the conversation because it's the Lakers. I believe that there is a league rule that the Lakers have to be included in any and all talks re: superstar free agents.

Having said that, it wouldn't be the first time that the Lakers pulled off a deal where everyone was left wondering "How'd they do that?":lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I don't see Lebron or Anthony coming to LA. If they do, then Pau will definitely re-up and the Lakers will fill in the rest of the roster with bench warmers and the people they have under contract now. Then, I think they'll eat Nash's contract and offer him a coaching position or something.