• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Learn the rules

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in my ESPN daily lineup change league, which is in its 3rd year with the same crew, a guy makes a post whining about the streaming of pitchers. It really is unlike him as he has never complained about anything before. However, it boggles my mind that he's just now realizing this is done. But there is a 12-start limit so a team really can't stream an infinite amount of pitchers, just on Sundays if you're below 12 pitchers. Just had to get this out there....learn the rules brah!!!!! P.S. I think he's bitter I beat him this week. ;)

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in my ESPN daily lineup change league, which is in its 3rd year with the same crew, a guy makes a post whining about the streaming of pitchers. It really is unlike him as he has never complained about anything before. However, it boggles my mind that he's just now realizing this is done. But there is a 12-start limit so a team really can't stream an infinite amount of pitchers, just on Sundays if you're below 12 pitchers. Just had to get this out there....learn the rules brah!!!!! P.S. I think he's bitter I beat him this week. ;)

phew, when I saw the title of this I was waiting to see someone being scolded about not following the rules on this site.

Had something like this happen in my keeper league during our second year. We had a low minimum innings pitched count and nobody really gave it much though the first year. That year I either drafted or picked up off waivers closers. By week 4 I had 8 closers and one starting pitcher and took era, whip & saves almost on a weekly basis. All the guys who drafted big pitchers early were pissed but hey, I was just playing within the rules. The following year we raised the minimum innings pitched to 40 and also put a cap on the number of f/a you can pick up at 40 to cut down on streaming.

I look at it this way, if there are rules in place and you don't do your best to figure out how to make those rules work to your advantage, you're not committed to winning. As long as your follow the rules it ain't cheating, it strategy.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my thinking. Don't blame me or anyone else because u didnt read the rules. It's all fair as many teams follow the same strategy.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree Jim Anybody can do the streaming so whats the problem It makes someone put in the time cause u got to know who to pick up Was in a league where about 4 of us were fighting over picks every day makes it interesting

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree Jim Anybody can do the streaming so whats the problem It makes someone put in the time cause u got to know who to pick up Was in a league where about 4 of us were fighting over picks every day makes it interesting

If the league allows streaming I have no problem with it, but I'd prefer that streaming not be an option.

It kind of devalues the big name starters and makes drafting these guys with an early pick almost pointless. yea you could take era & whip with these guys, but the other guy is almost guaranteed wins & Ks because he starting 90 guys a week (sarcasm).

Another reason is it's like a race to the waiver wire, and the guy that can sit in front of his computer the longest wins. Not everyone has the same time commitments and it's kind of unfair for those that have limited time.

Streaming is a young mans game, but once you get older, have a full time job, wife, kids, family time, in-laws, holidays, etc.., it gets harder to find time to go on every night in search of your next days pitcher. Fortunately no wife and kids here so I have no problem with it, but I play with enough people like this that I understand.

The Iron Horse

Smartass
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me, I think streaming pitchers goes against the spirit of the game, or why it got started. Anyways, is a strategy, do so at your own peril.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't like it at first, but came to really enjoy it. Streaming can be a double-edged sword. If you're constantly streaming pitchers that blow ass, then you're only hurting yourself. The key is to find pitchers that have good matchups, are up-and-comers, or are simply average at best. What's the point in streaming shitty pitchers that will drag your stats and/or points down? That's the part I like about it.

I have a high number of good-very good pitchers with a couple aces thrown in there, and look for nice matchups. Doesn't take very long imo.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kind of devalues the big name starters and makes drafting these guys with an early pick almost pointless

Agree but this year aces are killing people in fantasy

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one of my leagues I have a shit team. I started basically from scratch and now have a team of elite prospects with little more.
The problem with the league is that the RULES SUCK!!! I can not for the life of me "play by the rules"
9 active hitting spots, 7 pitching. Available free agent hitters are plentiful. Basically the 15th best at each position. For pitchers there is no one. 9 man benches full on 14 teams with Ps. There are no points deducted for losses (or BS) for example, so every starter accumulates points each time out, unless they're blown up ala V.Worley.
While teams are drafting Marcum, Buerhle and James McDonald, I'm grabbing Frazier and Rosenthal. But what's my record? 0-3. (of course my keepers were mostly minors so I started way behind)
I HATE THE LEAGUE AND I HATE THE SCORING AND I CAN NOT PLAY BY THOSE RULES. So I'll continue to build and one day I'll kick everyone's asses despite the rules. And I'm only staying because 13 other owners think I'm an idiot for complaining about their rules. I'm stubborn, but I disagree with "playing by the rules". Great players should scoring great. Shit players should score shit. If they don't where you play, be the voice of reason!!! If you can't convince them, move on. Unless you're stubborn/stupid like me :) In my second year, I scored my first "victory", convincing owners that waiver order should NOT be based on last year's standings from best team to worst :cool: Even that took about 80-100 emails and an illegal vote that I won the rights to post. Even then it won't take effect until 2014.
Good luck.
After all that rant, my advice is, don't play by stupid rules. Why bother winning if that's how you did it. Anybody can win a math exercise (which is what it becomes)

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I scored my first "victory", convincing owners that waiver order should NOT be based on last year's standings from best team to worst :cool: Even that took about 80-100 emails and an illegal vote that I won the rights to post. Even then it won't take effect until 2014.

Our league sets the waiver priority in the beginning of the year based on last years standings, but it goes worst to best. I set it that way because if you finished last, odds are your keepers are weak and you need the most help. If you finished first the last thing you need is an advantage by having the number one waiver priority.