• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LB Cody Barton signed

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better coverage talent at MLB than Bronco fans are used to. Also - I do like LBs who can run the 3-cone drill in under 7 seconds. Utah moved him around a lot and the Seahawks had to train him up. He might work out.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard he’s just a special teams player.

He is a tackle machine. Just doesn’t make enough plays for me to get excited about. Stop gap but in reality this is all we can expect the rest if free agency.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He averaged 9 tackles a game last year and did lead the Commanders in tackles despite missing 9 games...

Like I said, he is a tackle machine but he just doesn't make the plays that excite me. As much as I like Josey Jewell they are probably somewhat similar players as is Singleton. Guys who don't miss tackles but aren't going to make a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage.

It is a one year deal and really with Jewell leaving probably as good as we can get in our cap situation. Would have loved to sign Jerome Baker to a one year deal but financially not likely possible.

Unexciting but understandable signing, IMO.

Reactions: DJ

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks and Redskins fans don’t seem to have a high opinion of him and this contract is basically a prove-it contract, so I’ll reserve judgement.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks and Redskins fans don’t seem to have a high opinion of him and this contract is basically a prove-it contract, so I’ll reserve judgement.

He is a stop gap. Sanders will get a shot at ILB and OLB. Barton may not even start but he at least can tackle if we have to depend on him to make tackles. He is a bit like Singleton with less thump. Singleton comes up a bit more too. Thing is your DL better be good otherwise you are going to get those 6 yard gains. A Josh Jacobs dream defense. I'm not convinced Barton is coming here to start but we can only fill so many needs in one offseason with hardly any money.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a stop gap. Sanders will get a shot at ILB and OLB. Barton may not even start but he at least can tackle if we have to depend on him to make tackles. He is a bit like Singleton with less thump. Singleton comes up a bit more too. Thing is your DL better be good otherwise you are going to get those 6 yard gains. A Josh Jacobs dream defense. I'm not convinced Barton is coming here to start but we can only fill so many needs in one offseason with hardly any money.
Drew Sanders will be given a full shot at OLB/Edge this next season.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Sanders will be given a full shot at OLB/Edge this next season.

Right. So it depends on how that goes and what we do in the draft. I think OLB fits Sanders much better. He shows ability to blitz and get to the ball but hasn't really been in good position when he plays off the ball. He isn't an off ball backer to me. His greatest asset is rushing the QB.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th highest graded FA LB according to this.

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerome Baker signs with Seattle. Would have loved him but knew he would get more then we could offer.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This about sums it up.

In his lone season with the Commanders, Barton totaled 121 tackles and one interception in 13 games but earned a PFF defensive grade of 53.9. While Barton has compiled 100-plus tackles in each of his last two seasons, the veteran linebacker hasn’t proven to be a high-impact player and has struggled at times in coverage and against the run. Barton could slot in as a starter when needed, but he probably shouldn’t be counted on to lead a defense.