• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Last Dance w/ the Devil | NJ @ Pittsburgh

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
evil%20penguin.jpg

DEVILS (36-37-5) at PENGUINS (46-25-8)

TV: VERSUS (HD)

Last 10: New Jersey 4-5-1; Pittsburgh 7-3-0

Season series: Sixth and final meeting of the season between these Atlantic Division rivals. Pittsburgh won the first two, New Jersey answered with a pair of victories, and the Penguins regained the edge with a 1-0 on March 25 in a game where both Marc-Andre Fleury and Martin Brodeur were perfect for 65 minutes. James Neal's shootout goal finally decided things in favor of the home team.

Big story: The Penguins still have a chance to finish first in the division and the Eastern Conference, three points behind both the Flyers and Capitals with three games remaining for each team. However, they're only one point ahead of the Lightning for fifth, so hanging onto home ice for the first round remains the immediate focus.

Team Scope:

Devils: For the first time in over two decades, New Jersey will play a regular-season game having already been eliminated from playoff contention. When the Devils last missed the playoffs in 1996, it came after they lost to the Senators in their final regular-season game. Prior to that, they missed the postseason in 1989, finishing 14 points behind the Flyers in the Patrick Division. The dream of a miracle second-half comeback finally ended with Saturday's 3-1 loss to the Canadiens.

"We knew it was going to come," Brodeur said. "It doesn't come as a shocker, really. We had a good run, we played really hard to get ourselves in a position to compete for the last 10 games or 15 games or so and try to get into the playoffs. It was just too much. We've got four more games to just try to keep on doing what we're doing, try to play hard and get some wins."

Penguins: A win over Tampa Bay last Thursday would have put the Lightning in the rearview mirror, but Pittsburgh's one-goal loss made Saturday's Florida follow-up against the Panthers all the more important for the Penguins. Fortunately, after trailing 2-1 through 20 minutes, they responded on a Pascal Dupuis goal early in the second period and scores from Zbynek Michalek and Craig Adams in the third for a 4-2 victory that allowed them to maintain the fourth seed.

"We control our own destiny," Dupuis said. "We needed to win some games and this one was an important one. It's a big two points."

Who's hot: Patrik Elias (3-2-5), Ilya Kovalchuk (2-2-4) and Dainius Zubrus (0-3-3) have three-game points streaks going for the Devils. … As a team, the Penguins have been lethal in shootouts, setting an NHL record by winning four straight games via the penalty-shot tiebreaker from March 21-27. They've won their last five shootouts overall. Neal is 3-for-4 and Alex Kovalev 3-for-5 -- each has two shootout-deciding goals.

Injury report: New Jersey defenseman Colin White has missed the last four games and defenseman Anton Volchenkov has missed three of the last four with lower-body injuries. … Pittsburgh forwards Arron Asham (lower body) and Eric Tangradi (concussion) practiced Monday. Forwards Nick Johnson (upper body) and Sidney Crosby (concussion) skated earlier in the day.

Stat pack: Zach Parise returned for the Devils on Saturday and had two shots in just over 16 minutes of action against the Canadiens in his first game since Oct. 30. Parise had knee surgery three days later. … Michalek has 4 goals in his last 12 games after not scoring one in his first 58 games with the Penguins.

Puck drop: Defenseman Brooks Orpik summed up Pittsburgh's mindset over the final week of the regular season and whether catching Philadelphia is still part of the mindset.

"I think you do. But sometimes you need help from other teams. You just kind of control what you can control," he said. "With the situation we're in with Tampa, we can control that destiny. Against Philly, we need help. That one, I don't think you put as much focus into. If you win your games and Philly happens to lose, then that's great, but it's out of our control."

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Penguins hope to have their power play more in sync than it has been for most of this season.

New power-play lines:

To that end, Bylsma reconfigured his two units Monday -- the top one features Jordan Staal, James Neal, Kovalev, Kris Letang and Michalek, the second Chris Kunitz, Mark Letestu, Tyler Kennedy, Paul Martin and Matt Niskanen -- and made some tactical adjustments, as well, with the intent of getting more pucks and bodies toward the net.

"We have three games to try to get that mentality and try to establish something," Bylsma said.

Those games will be against teams whose penalty-killing runs from eighth place in the league rankings (New Jersey) to 14th (Islanders) to 28th (Atlanta).

joe_baran

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As much as I'd like to see the Pens climb up the standings, I really hope the last few regular season games result in some confidence in a PP scheme that works. That, to me, would be the biggest boost to this team going into a first round series.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Kunitz is a new daddy again...and will still play. Way to go Koon!

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck guys we don't have much to play for not sure what to expect that could be good or bad for you guys

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will concede this one to the Penguins. I'm all about the draft pick at this point. Only game I want the Devils to win from here on out is against the Rangers.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's skating with the team, but only in non-contact practices. Who knows if/when he'll be back this season.

If i had to guess... sometime after game 4 of round one

By then, that may be on the golf course ;)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Moose is in net for the Devs. Fan appreciation night normally goes well for the Pens. I'm pretty sure we've won the last 4. At least those I can remember. Last year we crushed NYI, beat NYI the year before that, and Philly the year before that. Well, I can remember the last three at least. Mostly because I was at two of them.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is our night. Not that the have Pens played well against Moose...just more so than Marty.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not so much worried about this game pulling more for Carolina and buffalo to win out in regulation.Call me spiteful but I want the chance to drag the rags out with us.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah not so much worried about this game pulling more for Carolina and buffalo to win out in regulation.Call me spiteful but I want the chance to drag the rags out with us.

I want you to have that chance too. Hahaha.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a lot of rags fans don't realize if Carolina wins out in regulation the first tie breaker of regulation wins would be a wash and they would go to head to head points which would mean Carolina holds the tie breaker

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to go out on a limb and predict a 2-1 shootout win for the Pens... God, i hate this matchup.