• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kovalchuk didn't do himself any favours

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't be traded, he's a UFA, no? All they have to do is Ponikarovsky up the cash.

Any team can trade for Kovy's rights to exclusively negotiate with him prior to the July 1st free agent frenzy...

Edit: puck beat me to the punch (he's younger and faster)

Last edited by a moderator:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yea kovalchuk is a very good offensive player. no way i compare him to datsyuk who is the leagues best overall forward in terms of offense and defense. he is an elite goalscorer. nothing more. he did really try hard in the playoffs. the problem is he tried to do it by himself. he scored 2 goals. one was an empty net goal and one was a 5 on 3 goal. i think he will get about 8 mil on the free agent market. is he worth it? no although free agents always get more than their worth because team bid on them.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patty Marleau is a UFA this year and after Heatley demands a trade SJ should have plenty of cap room.

Thornton and Kovalchuk would seem like a great fit; neither of them seems to mind 1st round exits. :-)

GagneFire12

Miley Cyrus, say what?
In a flat with tinted sunlight and creaky floorboa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devils scored nine goals in the series. One of them was an empty net goal, and one of them was a 5-on-3 goal. Their even strength goal total? Three (zero in games 3, 4, and 5).

Basically, the whole team didn't show up. Outside of his shorthanded goal, Parise was fairly invisible, as well.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said from the get go the money he wants is crazy. Great goal scorer with a great shot but I saw him play against Buffalo Jan 1st when he was still with the Thrashers and he is not the type to do any of the grunt work.

His back checking is horrible but he sure can turn it up a notch in the offensive zone.

No way in hell he should get the same money as Crosby or OV. I was surprised the Devils even took him with their history of liking two way players.

In other words, his playoff performance does not surprise me at all.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Devils scored nine goals in the series. One of them was an empty net goal, and one of them was a 5-on-3 goal. Their even strength goal total? Three (zero in games 3, 4, and 5).

Basically, the whole team didn't show up. Outside of his shorthanded goal, Parise was fairly invisible, as well.

I was gonna say something similar. While I agree Kovalchuk didn't help himself, New Jersey really didn't help Kovalchuk either. The whole team stunk and Kovalchuk is not the type of player that was going to be able to fix their problems. As for next year, Kovy will get plenty of money thrown at him from a whole bunch of GMs. He'll get paid no matter where he goes (I expect $9M per) so it's just up to Ilya as to where he wants to go.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Realistically he is not the reason the Devils lost. He had 6 points in 5 games. As a forward he was doing a pretty good job.

The Devils lost because of their coach. He is WAY too system oriented. They reminded me of some pretty good (regular season) Sens teams under Jacques Martin. As soon as playoff intensity disrupted their system, they seemed lost. In short they were so tuned into playing one style of game the players were unable to adapt as 5 man units when changes needed to be made.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because it's something I like to do, I'm racking my brain for a team that would be a good fit for Kovalchuk, cap-wise and situation-wise. Really Atlanta seems like the perfect spot for him, but if he craves the spotlight maybe he should go to Toronto. He's already used to junk centers, bad GMs, and not making the playoffs, this is what his whole career has been leading up to.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because it's something I like to do, I'm racking my brain for a team that would be a good fit for Kovalchuk, cap-wise and situation-wise. Really Atlanta seems like the perfect spot for him, but if he craves the spotlight maybe he should go to Toronto. He's already used to junk centers, bad GMs, and not making the playoffs, this is what his whole career has been leading up to.

He'll sign with TO. If not Burke will keep pestering him....

Kovalchuk: He'll keep callin', he'll keep calling'..... This ... this . this is ridiculous. I"LL GO! I'LL GO!! I'LL GO!!.... FUCK!!!

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he should look for a team with a talented center. If Carolina has the money, I think they should make that move. Their defense doesn't look terrible on paper, it's just been a lack of offense. Well, in the beginning of the season. Solid goaltending, good defensive structure, and he has the freedom to carry the puck around on the powerplay, seems like a good fit. He's also used to the pace of the division rivals.

The Q stache

Cabbie Slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In NJ It seemed to me like Kovalchuk just wasn't a fit. If he had been traded to a team with a more free flowing style of play I think his talents would have shined more. I think he is worth around 7 mil, I just don't see him going to the Kings for some reason though.

smo5039

talkin puck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
one of two things will happen

1. He will get around 6 million from a contender (Boston, LA)
2. He will get 8-9 million from a loser (Toronto, Edmonton)

I expect him to go to a contender or possible contender because he wanted out of atlanta. Someone threw Toronto out there as an idea and I don't think that would be a bad fit for him...except the history of suck thats been there the past 5 decades.