• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe Bryant dead at 41

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flashbacks to SRV dying in a helicopter crash in the fog after a concert with Clapton decades ago. Makes about as much sense now as it did then.

My heart goes out to friends and families of the deceased. Unnecessary tragedy, unfortunately.

For Laker fans, very tough day as we see legends of the franchise breaking down as they learn the news. I wish they would let these people grieve before shoving a camera and microphone in their face, especially in this social media era. If people want to make a statement, they can release it themselves.

Oh, and a big F you to TMZ for releasing names before the families could be notified.

I'd say the media in general had a really really really bad day in trying to report on this. I'd respect an organization that simply said nothing has been confirmed yet rather than simply rushing to try and be the first to report something.

I'd rather my news be factual than first.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In poor taste and insensitive yes, but human trash? It's part of his public record and it's out there. But it's been out there for a long time was talked into the ground years ago.

As far as the media coverage now goes, they need to clue in that he was just one of 9 aboard and 3 kids died. The footer on espn is kobe bryant dead and below it says "daughter also killed".

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the media in general had a really really really bad day in trying to report on this. I'd respect an organization that simply said nothing has been confirmed yet rather than simply rushing to try and be the first to report something.

I can't imagine finding out my loved one had passed via TMZ instead of being contacted by the authorities first. Awful.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the media coverage now goes, they need to clue in that he was just one of 9 aboard and 3 kids died. The footer on espn is kobe bryant dead and below it says "daughter also killed".

As cold as it sounds, the others aren't national news. Accidents take the lives of families every day without being reported nationwide. They deserve just as much compassion, but you can't expect fame to not take precedence for news outlets.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TMZ knew about it before some of the police did. Everyone else was just in response mode after that. They got feelers everywhere and probably pay good cash for inside info that should be confidential to get ahead of stories. I'm sure some insider from the hospital got paid a lot of cash tipping them off about Michael Jackson's death. They reported that way before anybody.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As cold as it sounds, the others aren't national news. Accidents take the lives of families every day without being reported nationwide. They deserve just as much compassion, but you can't expect fame to not take precedence for news outlets.

I can see that.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine finding out my loved one had passed via TMZ instead of being contacted by the authorities first. Awful.
If your loved one was famous, you would be used to hearing about them in the media. This is part of the price of fame.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read this pilot had some special privilege to fly in foggy weather. He dropped the ball yesterday and it caused him his life and 8 others. Seems like he didn't listen to air traffic control either

I think we need more info or at least a report from someone with piloting experience to say for sure. From what I've read, it could be anything. They were holding the helicopter in an area to clear other aircraft in the area first. When they gave clearance, they told him he needed to be higher so that they could consistently be picked up on the radar. The flight tracker shows he's pulling up, going from like 1700 feet to 2000 but something happens and it dramatically drops and they crash into a mountain at 1400 feet. That could be anything. Like he could have been too close to the mountain due to the fog when he was ascending and the panic to avoid it, something went wrong. Or it could have been some kind of mechanical failure during the ascent causing it to crash. I read it crashed going 180 mph at a freefall of 45 mph. Now I know nothing about helicopters but that doesn't seem like there was much control there. So either they came up on the mountain really quick or something fell and the thing literally fell out of the sky.

I did read that first responders had grounded their helicopters that morning though, saying the fog level didn't meet their safety standards. Makes you wish that if was that bad, there would be some kind of edict from air traffic control where all craft of that type would be grounded.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your loved one was famous, you would be used to hearing about them in the media. This is part of the price of fame.

So there's no such thing as tact in this world anymore? Sad.

The authorities don't release identities until they have contacted the family. That should apply to dirt-peddlers like TMZ too.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup

like i thought, they gave kobe "special clearance". that chopper shouldnt have been in the air.

Helicopter crash: Kobe Bryant's pilot was given clearance to fly under worse-than-normal conditions - CNN

An SVFR clearance allows a pilot to fly in weather conditions worse than those allowed for standard visual flight rules (VFR).
The Burbank Airport control tower allowed the helicopter to proceed northeast, following the Interstate 5 highway, using the SVFR clearance.

"Maintain special VFR at or below 2,500" the pilot confirmed to the controller.
Later in the flight, the pilot apparently asked for "flight following," a service in which controllers are in regular contract with an aircraft.
The controller was recorded telling the pilot "2 echo X-ray, you're still too low level for flight following at this time." That could mean the helicopter was too low to be seen on air traffic control radar.
While authorities try to determine what went wrong, investigators are struggling to find clues in difficult conditions.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the controller who gave this permission must be beside his/herself.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statement on behalf of Charles Barkley:

“First, I want to express my deepest condolences to the families and friends of all nine people killed in this tragedy. I really want to emphasize that in remembrance of the other seven people involved. For me, this is like losing a family member, to lose Kobe and his daughter, Gianna. Basketball is a close knit fraternity and I’m just sad. Really sad. My thoughts and prayers are with Vanessa and their girls, the Lakers family and every basketball fan around the world.”

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an incredibly insensitive headline...

AF575EFA-94E8-44AA-B579-97DBB7685C6B.jpeg

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why the
So there's no such thing as tact in this world anymore? Sad.

The authorities don't release identities until they have contacted the family. That should apply to dirt-peddlers like TMZ too.
Every news organization in the world reports a famous death the minute they hear about it. Yeah, fame has some downsides, who knew?

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a weapons tech crew member on a CH-47 Chinook for 5 years and I will never get on a helicopter again if I can avoid it.:2cents: