• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kirk Cousins to Atlanta

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am shocked that the Vikings wouldnt match that offer.

Kwesi and O'Connell really rolling the dice on their employment status with this decision. I would have to think (or at least hope) that they have a really good backup plan that doesn't involve giving up all our draft picks.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that need a QB:

Chicago - rookie
Washington - rookie
NE - rookie (most likely)
Denver -
Oakland -
Minnesota -
NY Giants - ?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am shocked that the Vikings wouldnt match that offer.

Kwesi and O'Connell really rolling the dice on their employment status with this decision. I would have to think (or at least hope) that they have a really good backup plan that doesn't involve giving up all our draft picks.

You really wanted to tie up all of our money in him for a 5th time? We've seen as far as he can take us, it's not far enough for that money. And now he's going to be 36 and coming back from injury.

The Vikings just signed 3 defensive starters within hours of him leaving. Something we couldn't do while he was taking up so much money.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the Vikings gonna do at QB? They're being charged 28M against the cap this year even though KC will play for Atlanta. Trade for Fields is unlikely b/c it's intradivision. Are they gonna go the Jimmy, Tannehill route?
I believe Joshua Dobbs is the incumbent on an expiring contract. The FA list is Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill, Sam Darnold, Jacoby Brissett, Tyrod Taylor, Taylor Heinicke, Jameis Winston, Mason Rudolph, Drew Lock, Tyler Huntley, Carson Wentz, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Blaine Gabbert, and some others. [Apologies to anyone on the list who is already under contract for 2024]. Alternatively you trade for Justin Fields, Kenny Pickett, or Sam Howell. It comes down to who do they like, trust, will play for peanuts, and who will fit what they want to do.

It's not exciting but i've seen worse lists. At this point they can take their time.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really wanted to tie up all of our money in him for a 5th time? We've seen as far as he can take us, it's not far enough for that money. And now he's going to be 36 and coming back from injury.

The Vikings just signed 3 defensive starters within hours of him leaving. Something we couldn't do while he was taking up so much money.

All the Vikings have done so far is swap out contracts. They haven’t added a single thing that they didn’t have before.

Greenard for Hunter
Geinkel for Davenport (who was the replacement contract for ZaDarius).
Cashman for Hicks.

Literally position by position replacing past vet contracts that they had paying year after year while Cousins was getting paid too. This isn’t Cousins money they are spending yet. Not even close in fact. Probably have to wait till next year for that with the dead cap hits Hunter and Cousins will now incur that they aren’t coming back.

But it is kind of exciting. Definitely got younger and more athletic in the front 7. But this isn’t some spending spree that they couldn’t have managed if Cousins would have come back.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Joshua Dobbs is the incumbent on an expiring contract. The FA list is Jimmy Garoppolo, Ryan Tannehill, Sam Darnold, Jacoby Brissett, Tyrod Taylor, Taylor Heinicke, Jameis Winston, Mason Rudolph, Drew Lock, Tyler Huntley, Carson Wentz, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Blaine Gabbert, and some others. [Apologies to anyone on the list who is already under contract for 2024]. Alternatively you trade for Justin Fields, Kenny Pickett, or Sam Howell. It comes down to who do they like, trust, will play for peanuts, and who will fit what they want to do.

It's not exciting but i've seen worse lists. At this point they can take their time.

Yeah it will be Darnold or Tannehill I would think and we will be spending at least a 1st rounder on a QB in the upcoming draft in all likelihood.

Im hoping they can somehow trade down in the 1st and still get Penix. But who knows how the QB’s are going to come off the board. But almost no team is going to need one. But quite a few teams that know they might need one sooner than later.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the Vikings have done so far is swap out contracts. They haven’t added a single thing that they didn’t have before.

Greenard for Hunter
Geinkel for Davenport (who was the replacement contract for ZaDarius).
Cashman for Hicks.

Literally position by position replacing past vet contracts that they had paying year after year while Cousins was getting paid too. This isn’t Cousins money they are spending yet. Not even close in fact. Probably have to wait till next year for that with the dead cap hits Hunter and Cousins will now incur that they aren’t coming back.

But it is kind of exciting. Definitely got younger and more athletic in the front 7. But this isn’t some spending spree that they couldn’t have managed if Cousins would have come back.

And when we are forced to trade either JJ or Darrisaw next year. Or when his career hits that cliff that happens to every player around his age, what then? Constantly kicking the can down the road and coming back to Kirk because he is "safe" just flat out wasn't working.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when we are forced to trade either JJ or Darrisaw next year. Or when his career hits that cliff that happens to every player around his age, what then? Constantly kicking the can down the road and coming back to Kirk because he is "safe" just flat out wasn't working.

You do realize how big the cap is right?

In two years when all those contracts actually will start kicking in, the cap is going to be close to $300M. Even with JJ, Cousins and Darrisaw locked into top value long term deals, the Vikes still would have had close to $200M to form the rest of the roster. It’s not nearly as onerous as people make it out to be. It’s just people not understanding the cap.

The simple fact is that this is a QB league. You need a good one even to compete. $45M is a fricking steal for decent QB. There isn’t a combination of players you can pay with that money on the free agent market that can make up for the difference between a solid QB and a bad one.

Going to be interesting to see if we ever hear what the Vikes were willing to offer. My guess is that they wouldn’t go more than one year with guaranteed money as a way to make sure Cousins comes back fully from the Achilles/age. And they must have a really good plan B they are excited about.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After all the stuff we all heard about front office wanting not to resign Cousins due to their team getting him so beat up.
Dont think we were gonna see a lot of loyalty.
Dont think Cousins even allowed the vikes to try & match the contract.
Cousins probably wants to go to a team where the front office will appreciate, he is there.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man shout out to Kirk getting paid AGAIN. got drafted and after his rookie deal got franchised tagged twice. tests free agency gets a 3 year deal with Minnesota, then signs a 2 year extension then a 1 year extensions. Test Free agency again and now signs a 4 year deal in Atlanta. He telling everybody I don't need to win on the field right now I am winning the Lotto

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man shout out to Kirk getting paid AGAIN. got drafted and after his rookie deal got franchised tagged twice. tests free agency gets a 3 year deal with Minnesota, then signs a 2 year extension then a 1 year extensions. Test Free agency again and now signs a 4 year deal in Atlanta. He telling everybody I don't need to win on the field right now I am winning the Lotto
Actually, the Falcons are now the fave to win the NFC South.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize how big the cap is right?

In two years when all those contracts actually will start kicking in, the cap is going to be close to $300M. Even with JJ, Cousins and Darrisaw locked into top value long term deals, the Vikes still would have had close to $200M to form the rest of the roster. It’s not nearly as onerous as people make it out to be. It’s just people not understanding the cap.

The simple fact is that this is a QB league. You need a good one even to compete. $45M is a fricking steal for decent QB. There isn’t a combination of players you can pay with that money on the free agent market that can make up for the difference between a solid QB and a bad one.

Going to be interesting to see if we ever hear what the Vikes were willing to offer. My guess is that they wouldn’t go more than one year with guaranteed money as a way to make sure Cousins comes back fully from the Achilles/age. And they must have a really good plan B they are excited about.
Darnold is their plan B they are excited about I guess.

LOL.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darnold is their plan B they are excited about I guess.

LOL.

I can only hope that they have a plan in the draft to find the next QB that hopefully wont cost them all their draft capital. I would think this route wouldnt even be an option otherwise.

Its basically this exact scenario on why I figured they would make sure to resign Cousins.

Darnold is place holder at very best. It seems to be a good draft in theory to take a QB. Depending on how you feel about JJ McCarthy, Penix and Nix. To be all 3 of those guys are QB's you take a flier on when you have a vet and can sit for a couple of years in hopes that they eventually become the man. Not guys you run out there year 1 after a placeholder plays you out of the playoffs.

But here we are. Hmph. Hell of a risk. The worst thing a team can do is miss on a 1st round QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that need a QB:

Chicago - rookie
Washington - rookie
Denver -
Oakland -
Minnesota -
NY Giants - ?

Raiders signed Uncle Rico to compete with O'Connell. Pats signed Brissett, but he's likely to support a rookie selection.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that need a QB:

Chicago - rookie
Washington - rookie
Denver - ?
Oakland - Minshew
Minnesota - Darnold
Denver most likely picks up a veteran and drafts a rookie.
Fields is still out there with limited options.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it will be Darnold or Tannehill I would think and we will be spending at least a 1st rounder on a QB in the upcoming draft in all likelihood.

Im hoping they can somehow trade down in the 1st and still get Penix. But who knows how the QB’s are going to come off the board. But almost no team is going to need one. But quite a few teams that know they might need one sooner than later.
You don't trade DOWN to get your QB.