• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings quietly shopping

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Kings do not appear close to pulling the trigger on a trade, but GM Dean Lombardi is calmly searching for some reinforcements.
Lombardi has had a few trade discussions this season, but nothing that could be categorized as serious.

It's highly unlikely the Kings will complete a trade before the NHL holiday roster freeze kicks in Dec. 19, as a deal is more likely to happen in the New Year, probably closer to the Mar. 5 trade deadline.

The Kings would like to add a veteran left wing, capable of playing top-six minutes, as well as a physical defenseman.
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter has continuously spread out his offense this season, choosing to utilize his top three lines as options. Veterans Justin Williams, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and Dustin Brown have been moved throughout the lineup, along with rookie Tyler Toffoli.
As the season progresses, it's believed Lombardi would like to add another winger up front to solidify the team's offense.
Lombardi also wants to bolster his blueline by the trade deadline, a move he made last season when he acquired Robyn Regehr from the Buffalo Sabres. The Kings currently have approximately $2.4 million in available salary cap space today, according to CapGeek.com, a figure that will increase as the season progresses.

The Fourth Period :: Los Angeles Kings :: Kings quietly shopping

Maybe move another goalie like Jones? Pretty fucking crazy how deep they are in net, without Quick in.

DOD0083

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind seeing them make a deal with Buffalo and send Scrivens + for Moulson. Both are pendinfg UFA's and it fills a need for both teams. Buffalo gets a cheap starter for when Miller walks next year and we get a LW who isn't suffocated under Terry Murray's system.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not going to move Martin Jones - Ben Scrivens will be a III UFA so they're going to move him at some point and I think they can cash in at the deadline and get somebody decent

I would love to have Matt Moulson, I think he'd be a nice fit on the Kings with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter potentially, and it would improve the power play as well - imagine Jeff Carter shooting the puck and Matt Moulson is there for the rebounds, etc

Defensively, I'm not sure if there's a deal out there that will net them a significantly better d-man - I actually love the seven d-men the Kings have right now - you can never have enough d-men because as we've seen in the past, the injuries on the blueline have forced others to come in, but I think right now, they look fine on defense - but of course things could change

Kings are in an interesting spot because I know some fans are more nostalgic than others but you have to always try and evolve in this league, you can't win the same way multiple times and you can't always win with the same guys multiple times, sometimes adding a player here and there can help balance things and give you a different dimension - of course the core will always be there and you need those guys, but it's the guys around the core that are just as important

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not going to move Martin Jones - Ben Scrivens will be a III UFA so they're going to move him at some point and I think they can cash in at the deadline and get somebody decent

I would love to have Matt Moulson, I think he'd be a nice fit on the Kings with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter potentially, and it would improve the power play as well - imagine Jeff Carter shooting the puck and Matt Moulson is there for the rebounds, etc

Defensively, I'm not sure if there's a deal out there that will net them a significantly better d-man - I actually love the seven d-men the Kings have right now - you can never have enough d-men because as we've seen in the past, the injuries on the blueline have forced others to come in, but I think right now, they look fine on defense - but of course things could change

Kings are in an interesting spot because I know some fans are more nostalgic than others but you have to always try and evolve in this league, you can't win the same way multiple times and you can't always win with the same guys multiple times, sometimes adding a player here and there can help balance things and give you a different dimension - of course the core will always be there and you need those guys, but it's the guys around the core that are just as important

We'll take Richards or Williams and you can have DZ or Girardi.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take your pick: Trevor Lewis, Jarret Stoll, Matt Frattin or Colin Fraser :lol:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take your pick: Trevor Lewis, Jarret Stoll, Matt Frattin or Colin Fraser :lol:

Matt Frattin or Colin Fraser - Trevor Lewis brings a lot of speed and versatility to the lineup and Stolly is playing well lately because he actually has good linemates to play with now

Matt Frattin has done nothing to impress me and Colin Fraser is meh at this point

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll take Richards or Williams and you can have DZ or Girardi.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Props for shooting high though :suds:

Del Zotto is anything but physical, he has been in and out of the doghouse forever it seems. I like Girardi but not for either of those guys.

Richards brings all kinds of nasty and intangibles to the game and Justin Williams is the NHL's best Corsi rating guy - when he is on the ice, he makes things happen.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Frattin or Colin Fraser - Trevor Lewis brings a lot of speed and versatility to the lineup and Stolly is playing well lately because he actually has good linemates to play with now

Matt Frattin has done nothing to impress me and Colin Fraser is meh at this point

I agree with this, wouldn't part with Stoll or Lewis. Lewis is one of the few speedy Kings there is, plus as you said he can play all 3 positions and does a lot of the little things in games that don't show up on the score sheet. Stoll is a solid, physical defensive player who gives everything he has and will do anything for the team. Those guys don't grow on trees.

Stoll's OT winner against Vanloser in the 2012 WCQFs was a direct result of Lewis hustling and hounding Hamhuis. That play doesn't happen if Lewis doesn't do that.

Frattin, I just want to see this guy gone, and Fraser brings some energy but I wouldn't care either way if he's gone or not. Good B6 player.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any way we can trade for Patrick Marleau ?? I know it's a long shot but I think he would fit great with the Kings & i'm tired of him giving us trouble lol!

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any way we can trade for Patrick Marleau ?? I know it's a long shot but I think he would fit great with the Kings & i'm tired of him giving us trouble lol!

I doubt it.

For one, the Kings and Sharks are both fierce rivals in the same division. Second both teams are going to be near the top of the NHL, and Marleau is a huge cog in their wheel. They won't weaken what they have to let the Kings get stronger.

Lastly, free agent or not, he is going to cost an arm and a leg. The only place the Kings can really move would be goaltending and defense, and those win championships.

Don't see Dumbo making a move that big, I see mid-level additions near the trade deadline. This team is built to be a contender for a while with what the Kings have.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It won't happen

Evander Kane could be had in Winnipeg but I don't want the Kings giving up what they'd have to give up for him

Like I said before, I'd love to have Matt Moulson

ouendan1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this, wouldn't part with Stoll or Lewis. Lewis is one of the few speedy Kings there is, plus as you said he can play all 3 positions and does a lot of the little things in games that don't show up on the score sheet.

Honestly though at some point the complete lack of production needs to be taken into account.

He is the only player on our team this year that hasn't registered a single point all season.

0g, 0a, -4 in 26 games played.

His last regular season goal came March 28th against St. Louis. That's 41 games since Lewis has scored. This just can't be ignored with him.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with above, Lewis is offensively absolutely USELESS! And a team that has trouble finishing offensively can't afford his complete inefficiency. There are a lot of players that can bring what he can defensively if they didn't have to worry about scoring. We need someone who can handle himself defensively but also chip in once in a while.
When I see him on a wing with Richards I get sick. What a waste for Mike, and the team.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't see Dumbo making a move that big, I see mid-level additions near the trade deadline. This team is built to be a contender for a while with what the Kings have.

Yes this an exciting time for Kings fans, Next season we will have $7 million more to spend :suds:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes this an exciting time for Kings fans, Next season we will have $7 million more to spend :suds:

Have to be smart with what they spend though - Anze Kopitar is in need of an extension soon so they'll have to get that done + you have some young kids that will eventually become bigger parts of the team

DOD0083

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to be smart with what they spend though - Anze Kopitar is in need of an extension soon so they'll have to get that done + you have some young kids that will eventually become bigger parts of the team

While he is due for an extension, his salary is in line to comparable salaries of those players of his caliber. At most, I think he gets a bump to around 7.5M/year but not so much a bump that would cause significant changes to the team. I think King gets a nice raise on maybe a 2-3 year deal to see if he is the real and not a flash in the pan.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though at some point the complete lack of production needs to be taken into account.

He is the only player on our team this year that hasn't registered a single point all season.

0g, 0a, -4 in 26 games played.

His last regular season goal came March 28th against St. Louis. That's 41 games since Lewis has scored. This just can't be ignored with him.

Agree with above, Lewis is offensively absolutely USELESS! And a team that has trouble finishing offensively can't afford his complete inefficiency. There are a lot of players that can bring what he can defensively if they didn't have to worry about scoring. We need someone who can handle himself defensively but also chip in once in a while.
When I see him on a wing with Richards I get sick. What a waste for Mike, and the team.

The reason I said Lewis was because we were talking about acquiring more of a scorer, so someone has to go, as for Stoll his face-offs are great, but stupid timely penalties almost nulify it. TM set the base of forwards to be 2-way, but sometimes they are just 1-way, defensely only....

blk4x499

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think everyone on this board was ready to dump Dwight King last year and I was one of them. I know how the saying goes...what have you done for me lately. I do not see the Kings making a major move and I disagree with us needing a dman.

I like what King has brought to the first line this year and I do not think it would be wise to tinker with that with a major deal.