• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Keys to this week's game?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about keys to the game Sunday, it seems likely to me that SD will try to replicate what it did in the first two meetings, since that approach resulted in a split of two pretty close games, including the Charger win at Denver a few weeks ago, and it held our team to two of its three lowest point totals of the season. A key feature of that approach has been to run the ball against us and limit our time of possession.

In each of the two games that we’ve played them, SD has held around a 17 minute advantage in time of possession. They accomplished that in large part by both running the ball and defending the run better than we did. Specifically, in those two games we ran the ball 33 times for 102 yards, while SD ran 79 times for 308 yards. To me it seems a likely key to victory that we at least narrow the gap in time of possession, presumably by both running the ball more often and more effectively and by defending the run better than we did in those first two games.

Interestingly, over the course of the entire season, both teams are around middle of the league at running the ball and Denver was slightly better at defending the run than SD was. That suggests to me that we are capable of closing the gap in both rushing yards and time of possession, two likely keys to determining which team reaches the conference championship game.

What do you think are the likely keys to which team advances?

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're spot on with regards to the run, but I also think SD will have to replicate what they did last time AND get more pressure on Manning. With Welker back the Broncos can do more damage even with limited possessions.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're spot on with regards to the run, but I also think SD will have to replicate what they did last time AND get more pressure on Manning. With Welker back the Broncos can do more damage even with limited possessions.

Definitely agree with that. As far as pressuring Manning goes, attempting only 11 runs, like we inexplicably did last time, plays right into the Chargers' hands.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow down the Chargers running game and a pass rush right in Rivers face. Need a big play form special teams as well and limit the turnovers.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the big thing for the Broncos D is stopping the run from the start. The Broncos know that the Chargers must run the ball well to limit possessions for Denver. One other big problem for the Broncos last game was 3rd down conversions (2-9), the Broncos need to get the running game going to keep 3rd downs manageable. Turnovers are also huge, need to at least be even in this. I think Shaun Philips is going to have a huge game, we need him!

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow down the Chargers running game and a pass rush right in Rivers face. Need a big play form special teams as well and limit the turnovers.

Special teams is the wild card that has me worried. Bengals did a nice job returning kicks yesterday.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the big thing for the Broncos D is stopping the run from the start. The Broncos know that the Chargers must run the ball well to limit possessions for Denver. One other big problem for the Broncos last game was 3rd down conversions (2-9), the Broncos need to get the running game going to keep 3rd downs manageable. Turnovers are also huge, need to at least be even in this. I think Shaun Philips is going to have a huge game, we need him!

Good points. Ryan Matthews missed the entire 2nd half of the Bengals game after aggravating that sprained ankle. A bit early to say if he is probable, questionable or doubtful but he will obviously not be 100%.

We only ran the ball 11 times that Thursday night game. I expect we will put an emphasis on the run game ( I think Moreno is going to be fired up) and having Welker back is a huge benefit on 3rd down.

Limit mistakes, protect the football and if anyone on defense commits a penalty on 4th down that give the Chargers a 1st down when we have them pinned back at the goal line I am going to have a meltdown.

:gaah:

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Do not go 2 quarters without a first down. Still makes me twitch.
2) Stop Matthews. He always seems to have good games against us. He's been given alot more opportunity lately and he's produced.
3) Get them off the field on 3rd down. Rivers is uncanny the way he converts against us on 3rd down. Can't have that Sunday.

I guess those bottom two are obvious, but I think they'll be huge keys to the game.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say play our game. Score early and score often. Pull out all of the offensive plays available to the team. I wouldn't even be disappointed if the Broncos chose to start on offense if they win the toss. We need to put the Chargers in a position where they are completely taken out of their "run, run, run" game plan. Then our D line can put that punk Rivers on the ground.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Do not go 2 quarters without a first down. Still makes me twitch.
2) Stop Matthews. He always seems to have good games against us. He's been given alot more opportunity lately and he's produced.
3) Get them off the field on 3rd down. Rivers is uncanny the way he converts against us on 3rd down. Can't have that Sunday.

I guess those bottom two are obvious, but I think they'll be huge keys to the game.

First Meeting, Mathews had 59 yards rushing.

Last year, he had 74 yards, and 47 yards, respectively.

The only time in the past two seasons Mathews rushed for over 100 yards was the Thursday night game. Can't say that qualifies as "always".

The one thing that is annoying is Rivers' ability to escape pressure. That gets annoying and I hope we can bottle that up this week.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stack the box, spy Rivers and take our chances with one on one match ups in the secondary. Live and die by the sword, so to speak. Then ask our offense to put up 50!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll make this simple..."Don't be stupid" should be the Broncos motto. Penalties and turnovers have been what have killed this team this year. That 4th down where we jumped off side to extend one of the drives was about as bad as it gets considering we would have had the ball at the 50 with a chance to score. Throw in then that lead to an 8 minute drive instead of like a 1 minute drive.

In the 3 games we have lost that seems to be a recurring theme where it is stupid mistakes that we make either through penalty or turnovers that just puts our team in a hole.

Also really hoping the play calling adjusts some for this game. It just seemed like in that last game Gase and Peyton forgot there is such a thing as the run game when we had the 5 straight 3 and outs. Make them at least respect the idea that we might run as that play action is our bread and butter for the big plays down the field.

Also hoping that since Sly Williams and others have had some more playing time the last few weeks that they are a little more ready to help against the run. Couldn't believe some of the holes that San Diego opened up last time. Guys were just completely getting pushed around.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good point about Phillips. He will is surely looking forward to playing his former team and he has had sacks in both games against them this year, yet his production has tailed off the past month or so. As you say, "we need him!" and I agree that he is a good candidate to come up big this week.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams is the wild card that has me worried. Bengals did a nice job returning kicks yesterday.

A Holiday return perhaps? I like it!

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First Meeting, Mathews had 59 yards rushing.

Last year, he had 74 yards, and 47 yards, respectively.

The only time in the past two seasons Mathews rushed for over 100 yards was the Thursday night game. Can't say that qualifies as "always".

The one thing that is annoying is Rivers' ability to escape pressure. That gets annoying and I hope we can bottle that up this week.

My bad. I guess I still have that one fresh on my mind, but I actually would've thought his stats were better against us the past few years.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stack the box, spy Rivers and take our chances with one on one match ups in the secondary. Live and die by the sword, so to speak. Then ask our offense to put up 50!

I like this, stuff the run. Don't allow 8 minute drives running the ball. Make Rivers beat you, put pressure on him to throw, and put up points. Eventually he makes mistakes. If this turns into a Manning v. Rivers shootout I like our chances.

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Score more than the Chargers.....

HOF-ELWAY-7

Speed Kills
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously though I think it's all about protecting Manning. If the Broncos keep #18 clean, I think Denver wins pretty big.