• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just How Creative is Mark Hollis?

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to spectacular events innovations, few AD's in the country can compare with Michigan State's Mark Hollis.

He took college hockey out of the arena and into the stadium with the 2001 'Cold War' game against Michigan...and hockey (college AND pro) has benefited enormously ever since by imitation.

He took college basketball off the court and onto the deck with his brilliant Veteran's Day 2011 (11-11-11) 'Carrier Classic' salute-to-the-military game against North Carolina...and he repeated the 'for-the-troops' promotion last year by sending Izzo to Germany to play UConn in an aircraft hangar...3 days before having to play Kansas in ATL for the Champions Classic.

That Hollis' creativity has generated un-paralleled interest/attention to Michigan State during his tenure is not in doubt...but...one wonders if he has what it takes to right a horribly listing football program before it sinks entirely into shameful mediocrity.

MSU's Defense is ranked #3 in the country. It's Offense is ranked #114. While there's no end in sight for the Offense's offensiveness, the Defense's sterling future (and, imo, the program's future) is wholly dependent on the University's retention of DC Pat Narduzzi.

I respect HC Mark Dantonio...he called the supremely gutsy 'Little Giants' play to stun ND in 2010...but, forgive me, I've never admired the guy...and, frankly?, believe he should step down and take a respected position in Hollis' administration. Narduzzi, on the other hand, I love! The guy has fire and emotion, his kids would jump into hell for him and he's proven the ability to coach the whole team (three games in 2010 - following Dantonio's heart attack after the ND game - including smashmouth victories over Wisconsin and @Michigan.)

I've no doubts that Narduzzi will take a HC job somewhere soon...that it won't be MSU (because Hollis, Izzo, the administration and -so far- most of Spartan Nation, are so 'loyal' to Dantonio.) It's especially frustrating here at SportsHoopla...so few fellow Spartys around. Would really appreciate yall's take on the situation.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've no doubts that Narduzzi will take a HC job somewhere soon...that it won't be MSU

Texas?
Southern Cal?
Iowa?

any chance? I'd really like to hear someone's expert opinion - something having to do with the fact that Narduzzi's never held a HC position, that his ability to build dynastic top-10 defenses might not be enough - dissuading me of the notion MSU might lose him...

c'mon, help me out here!

(shoulda put this sucker on the gen bds)

msuspartan73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that theory is that most DC's that become HC's fail because they are no longer the DC, they have to much on their plate. The only ones that really succeed are the ones that pawn off the Offense an have nothing to do with the O. They're HC in name only and play it smart.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that theory is that most DC's that become HC's fail because they are no longer the DC, they have to much on their plate. The only ones that really succeed are the ones that pawn off the Offense an have nothing to do with the O. They're HC in name only and play it smart.

that's the problem we've already got...seems to me Dantonio's ONLY job should be copping an OC as proficient as Narduzzi is at DC...and, so far, he's failed miserably.

or is it a 'budget' thing? if we can't compete with salaries for the very best?...dammit, we're not going to compete with the very best! (exception to that rule being Iowa)

Hey Joe: Digging in on Big Ten football coaching salaries | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

MSUCTM96

USCG Master Captain
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with H2S. Over the last couple years I have been in awe of the play calling by MSU. I remember just last year several games where we went all the way into the fourth quarter trying to establish a running game that was clearly not there. At the same time we were passing the ball well. And thats just off the top of my head. You cant hang your hat on one good play that happened three years ago. Yes, the defense looks great I agree. But if we want to be a contender we need to make some real changes. If you watched either the GA/SC or the UM/ND games last weekend our offense compared is at a pee wee level. It's hard to get excited about mediocrity.

"The definition of insanity is doing something time and time again in the same manner expecting a different result" Tony Robbins

Spartaniac

Bleeding green...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do y'all feel now, after last weekend's offensive performance? I don't know what to make of it. Were we playing below our grade for two weeks, or outperforming this past weekend? I can't say for sure.

BUT, I was glad to see receivers catching the ball. Haven't seen that for a while. I think that really helped the confidence of both QBs who got in the game last weekend. Would have like to see more of Cook despite the score. Maybe a full third quarter, or at least two more successful possessions would have given me a little more confidence.

So, let's see now, if we are ready for the Irish. Go Green!

msuspartan73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to say its playing below grade in the first 2 games. A lot of the dropped passes in the first 2 games were receivers faults. If the ball hits em in the hands they should catch the damn thing, 5 feet over their head that's on the QB. That's why Fowler got benched, yah can't complete the deal, put someone in that can.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont want to lose narduzzi.....hopefully hes one of those guys that know hes a better DC than a head coach.....i see dantonio trying to turn sparty into the way the buckeyes were the year they won the NC....very dull on offense...run run run...QB who just does whats asked of him.....and play great defense, hoping the dee will keep you in every game....but we dont have the talent on the offense side like they did....they did have clarrett....would be nice for ONE year to have this elite defense with a great offense like we had with cousins or hell even stantons years...

But yeah very frustrating.....football is my favorite sport...played alot.....and my 2 favorite teams are sparty and the detroit lions......between the 2, i have aged alot.....

This week we will see how this "defense wins games" type of team actually stacks up....first real test....lets hope the offense stays hot and that it wasnt just from playing youngstown st. We dont need 55, but if they score 25 or more, i think we win. But i think that may be too much...i love the defense, but im not loving the "team" yet.

MSUCTM96

USCG Master Captain
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty sad when we are measuring our offensive ability based on the success it had on a team I did not know existed, playing in a conference I never heard of. Try and find their stats, ESPN does not even bother ranking them nationally in any category.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty sad when we are measuring our offensive ability based on the success it had on a team I did not know existed, playing in a conference I never heard of. Try and find their stats, ESPN does not even bother ranking them nationally in any category.

well...
yah...
but...

nah...
you're right.

snakes need to prove themselves with a W in South Bent...
hell, even an ugly W...
fuck, just beat the Domers!

MSUCTM96

USCG Master Captain
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well.... We will see what Sparty has today. I will be ten miles offshore in the gulfstream on the helm of my buddies Tiara trolling for something that swims. Thankful for a Flat Screen, KVH system, and Direct TV. But I will have to endure a split with Spartans and the UT/Gators game. I really miss the State of Michigan. :rollseyes:

MSUCTM96

USCG Master Captain
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fire That Dude ................... Third and short with a terrible QB and throw......................:wtf2:

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what a lousy fawking weekend...

just got back.
700 miles ATL > S.Bend...
seemed like 1,700 miles coming home.

ND couldn't run against MSU's killer D's...Rees HAD to pass...everybody knew that...(so why in hell wasn't MSU blitzing all day?) All Rees could do was heave-ho long bombs and hope for exactly what happened - PI city.

MSU couldn't pass (not because of ND's D, but because MSU couldn't fucking pass!)...Sparty HAD to run...and everybody saw what a Spartan smashmouth offense running game looked like. Folks in the stands knew ND was doomed (I heard "that's it, we're dead" 20 times after the second half's first drive.)

So what's Dantonio the 'trickster' do? Take it upon himself to call an untested pitchout play (on 1st down!?) to a freshman WR - who heaved it into a thicket of Domer defenders for an interception that led to ND's winning TD, is all.

then abandoned smashmouth running offense for the rest of the game. W. T. F. ?????

and finally, just to prove wrong what everybody's been saying about his "LOYALTY" to players...he yanks Cook and puts fucking Maxwell in for the final embarrassment.

yah...Fuck Dantonio...Fire the sonnabitch! He's lost his mind and taking the team with him!

MSUCTM96

USCG Master Captain
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2S - Then to add insult to injury my step team, the Dolphins, squeaked one out against ATL. And it was nice to see Sims catch the game winner, one handed ta boot, for his first career NFL TD. The Lions won as well so Sunday was not a wash for me.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2S - Then to add insult to injury my step team, the Dolphins, squeaked one out against ATL. And it was nice to see Sims catch the game winner, one handed ta boot, for his first career NFL TD. The Lions won as well so Sunday was not a wash for me.

I loved seeing Sims pull that floater in - even more than I hated seeing ATL lose to the fishies.

re: Dantonio? damn...it really sucks when your low opinion of your HC is supported by some media hack...but...

Shawn Windsor: Trust in Michigan State coaches gone after late QB change | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

MSUCTM96

USCG Master Captain
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per a source... Maxwell was on the sideline saying "put me in coach...if you wonna win put Maxwell in, I'm bout to spin". It's unclear if this had any influence on Dantonio's decision.

Maxwell was put in to show Langford how to create an explosive play...Maxwell says "4 &20 Watch this"....

Red Cedar Message Board always make me laugh.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gd dammit...was there really any doubt?

OP: 09.SEP.13
Narduzzi, on the other hand, I love! The guy has fire and emotion, his kids would jump into hell for him and he's proven the ability to coach the whole team (three games in 2010 - following Dantonio's heart attack after the ND game - including smashmouth victories over Wisconsin and @Michigan.)

I've no doubts that Narduzzi will take a HC job somewhere soon...that it won't be MSU (because Hollis, Izzo, the administration and -so far- most of Spartan Nation, are so 'loyal' to Dantonio.)

Paul Pasqualoni fired at UConn, could Spartans' Pat Narduzzi succeed him? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Michigan State defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi could end up as a candidate for the full-time job — college football analyst Bruce Feldman of CBS tweeted today that Narduzzi should be UConn's No. 1 choice. He mentioned that Narduzzi was born in Connecticut, played at Rhode Island and is a "great (defensive) mind/recruiter/motivator."

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
comic book creativity in East Lansing...

chances are you've seen the institutional ads for MSU carrying the theme: SPARTANS WILL

was just channel surfing, paused on a 1* sci-fi flop called Green Lantern...some fish guy alien was explaining to the human guy hero that: "The most potent energy source in the universe WILL, manifested by the color GREEN..."

:L

gag me already...
s'too bad the ad's tagline wasn't typed as: SPARTAN SWILL