• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jonah

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wants to be traded.

I don't know that we would get a lot for an OT who kinda didn't perform up to his old self and is coming off of an injury.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - the value in trading him is in the $12.6M that it would suddenly free up for this year.

2 years ago when he was fully healthy and everyone thought he was "good" he was 50th in win rate in passing sets.

Last year when everyone thought he stunk (and he did) he was 55th...Not a huge drop. So, what changed? The OL around him was "better" this past year and brought to light how bad he really has been playing. He just looked better when surrounded by other guys who couldn't block, either.

That being said - I think there could be reason for optimism in moving him to RT - and I think if he really thought about it, he would see that as well.

Right now, he has zero leverage in asking for a trade other than offering up that it would free up the cap. His value isn't bringing a big return, and you would have to have a team willing to rent him for a year at 12.6M or extend him coming off an injury and, if we are being honest, not so stellar play even in his healthy years...

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly - the value in trading him is in the $12.6M that it would suddenly free up for this year.

2 years ago when he was fully healthy and everyone thought he was "good" he was 50th in win rate in passing sets.

Last year when everyone thought he stunk (and he did) he was 55th...Not a huge drop. So, what changed? The OL around him was "better" this past year and brought to light how bad he really has been playing. He just looked better when surrounded by other guys who couldn't block, either.

That being said - I think there could be reason for optimism in moving him to RT - and I think if he really thought about it, he would see that as well.

Right now, he has zero leverage in asking for a trade other than offering up that it would free up the cap. His value isn't bringing a big return, and you would have to have a team willing to rent him for a year at 12.6M or extend him coming off an injury and, if we are being honest, not so stellar play even in his healthy years...
Yeah, I think you're right....I think the only way a team would really be interested would be if they could have him for a 6th or 7th round pick and then get him to renegotiate. The key would be that the team would have to guarantee 12 million in the first year to make it worth it to Jonah to play. That's a fairly big guarantee for a guy that was hurt last season and hasn't been all that good. Then again, left tackles with starting experience do not grow on trees, so it could happen.

The Bengals can't cut him as that would give them the same cap hit without actually having his services. So, they'll have to decide how they want to handle it if nobody comes calling with a good offer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think you're right....I think the only way a team would really be interested would be if they could have him for a 6th or 7th round pick and then get him to renegotiate. The key would be that the team would have to guarantee 12 million in the first year to make it worth it to Jonah to play. That's a fairly big guarantee for a guy that was hurt last season and hasn't been all that good. Then again, left tackles with starting experience do not grow on trees, so it could happen.

The Bengals can't cut him as that would give them the same cap hit without actually having his services. So, they'll have to decide how they want to handle it if nobody comes calling with a good offer.
Yep.

And here's a crazy thought for him - go out there...ball out. Win the RT job and show you can excel. Then you hit the F/A showing you can play at a really solid level at RT and have 4 years of LT experience as well...talk about added value.

Right now, he's upset because he can't play LT, but he's also quietly stating that he's afraid to compete with a guy that has a history of back problems and has a torn ACL, a career journeyman in Adeniji and a 2nd round guy that hasn't stuck at 2 stops, and 1 team only viewed him as an OG, not a RT....I mean, Jonah HAS to have a leg up on all of them, right? I am, for the moment, assuming that Carman will also be in the mix, but likely the #2 LT behind Brown at the moment.

Want to get paid? Bet on yourself. Go out there. Ball out. Then go grab a bag. Or, sit around, sulk, and ask for a trade with zero leverage...

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe he'll be a hold out and get released.

or he could just suck it up and be a backup and take over when collins gets hurt again.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy was a bust, a bad pick, can't hit them all. How does he bring any value in a trade? Get a late pick for him. grab up a flyer I guess

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cody Ford is hungry to beat out Collins and Adenji for the starting job at right tackle.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe he'll be a hold out and get released.

or he could just suck it up and be a backup and take over when collins gets hurt again.
I don't think you'd ever see him released. Why would the Bengals take a 12 million dollar cap hit AND allow some other team to improve their situation. At that point, I think they'd be happy with him just sitting home and not collecting a contract.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems to be some interest, I don't know about LT tho

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, apparently the talent pool is so diluted that he's still considered by many teams to be a viable option.

I don't think they want to pay him that much though, but it's crazy out there.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, apparently the talent pool is so diluted that he's still considered by many teams to be a viable option.

I don't think they want to pay him that much though, but it's crazy out there.
Experience is the wild-card - teams will think that a better scheme or a change of scenery will help - and OL get recycled for awhile. Just look at Bobby Hart....

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Jonah gets healthy and rehabs correctly, he could be fine.

people forget that these guys rely very much on physicality and that can be severely diminished during rehab of certain muscle groups. The only thing that sets these guys apart at that point is the knowledge of just how much time and effort it takes to get back to that level. Most people don't realize it and don't have the willpower to actually achieve it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Jonah gets healthy and rehabs correctly, he could be fine.

people forget that these guys rely very much on physicality and that can be severely diminished during rehab of certain muscle groups. The only thing that sets these guys apart at that point is the knowledge of just how much time and effort it takes to get back to that level. Most people don't realize it and don't have the willpower to actually achieve it.
Here is where I disagree...he wasn't good healthy.

He looked good by default of how bad the rest of the OL was around him. His pass win rate was 50th last year when he was the healthiest he's been. We all thought he was good. This year, he stunk, and his pass-win rate was 55th....So, despite all of us nearly thinking he was dog crap this year, and can blame his injuries - he was only marginally better when we all thought he was healthy and decent....that tells us, the optics around him played a huge role in most of our thinking.

That being said - experience is experience and having a young guy with 3-4 years of starting LT experience is something a team will likely kick the tires on, or take a mid-round draft trade flyer on. They'll likely think they can play him at LT, and if it doesn't work - being his 2nd team that failed at LT, he might be more open at that point at playing RT.

The reality is - he might be a better than marginal RT and could get paid more at RT than if he was a below average, bottom tier, option at LT. I get banking on yourself, but to this point - he's not shown anything that screams top half LT....