• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Sterling

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fucking hate this guy. If he were the announcer for the Sioux City Iron Pigs I could understand his blatent homerism and sophomoric home run calls, but he's an announcer for the fucking Yankees. You know, who play in the most cosmopolitan city in the country. Yeah, theeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees.

John Sterling Is Utterly Confused | June

--he's a complete buffoon, and that chick in the booth is almost as bad (although she tries her best to save his jackassery).

Bone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan of the Yankees, I'm not a fan of Sterling or Suzyn Waldman.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That reminded me of Ron Fairly. With him, I'd be screaming at the radio "what happened!!!" Same with Joe Starkey, who often forgot to tell you the actual result of a play as he went off on some tangential point.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That reminded me of Ron Fairly. With him, I'd be screaming at the radio "what happened!!!" Same with Joe Starkey, who often forgot to tell you the actual result of a play as he went off on some tangential point.

+1. Fairly was the WORST.

"aaaaand...a ball to medium deep center field...and.....WOW...well, you just don't see that every day! Heh, haw! Goodness!"

And Hank Greenwald quit over losing him? I love Hank but Fairly was awful.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1. Fairly was the WORST.

"aaaaand...a ball to medium deep center field...and.....WOW...well, you just don't see that every day! Heh, haw! Goodness!"

And Hank Greenwald quit over losing him? I love Hank but Fairly was awful.

I had forgotten all about Ron Fairly. Goes to show how highly I regarded him. I remember a lot of the former broadcasters going back to the '87 season (Greenwald, of course, Ted Robinson, Steve Physioc, and yes, even Joe Angel!)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had forgotten all about Ron Fairly. Goes to show how highly I regarded him. I remember a lot of the former broadcasters going back to the '87 season (Greenwald, of course, Ted Robinson, Steve Physioc, and yes, even Joe Angel!)

Angel was interesting b/c he sounded just like Fairly. The voice I mean. Angel was decent...but he was cursed by the Fairly sound. Man, I grew to dread games Fairly announced.

Wasn't there a Lindsay fellow for a year or two in there as well?

Speaking of soundalikes, Doug Greenwald sounds JUST LIKE his dad.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angel was interesting b/c he sounded just like Fairly. The voice I mean. Angel was decent...but he was cursed by the Fairly sound. Man, I grew to dread games Fairly announced.

Wasn't there a Lindsay fellow for a year or two in there as well?

Speaking of soundalikes, Doug Greenwald sounds JUST LIKE his dad.

I didn't mind Joe Angel. I don't really understand why he was so hated. I hope it wasn't a race thing for some folks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairley was one of the guys doing the games when I first learned the game, so I remember him fondly. I did not have a critical ear, though.

I was living in Miami when Angel did the Fish, and I was not a huge fan. I did not HATE him, he was just meh to me. When he left to join the Giants, I was cool with it, because it kinda gave me a more modern link to the team I was divorced from (no internet, little TV made it VERY hard to follow the team in the mid-late 90's).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mind Joe Angel. I don't really understand why he was so hated. I hope it wasn't a race thing for some folks.

Joe was fine; I don't get the sense that anyone hated him. He did sound exactly like Fairly though.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe was fine; I don't get the sense that anyone hated him. He did sound exactly like Fairly though.

I remember listening to KNBR (maybe it was Radnich) and people would always call to rip Joe Angel.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fucking hate this guy. If he were the announcer for the Sioux City Iron Pigs I could understand his blatent homerism and sophomoric home run calls, but he's an announcer for the fucking Yankees. You know, who play in the most cosmopolitan city in the country. Yeah, theeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees.

John Sterling Is Utterly Confused | June

--he's a complete buffoon, and that chick in the booth is almost as bad (although she tries her best to save his jackassery).

So true. He's the last guy I would pick for the Yankees job if I had to pick any current announcer. His Yankees win call has to have gotten old to the people who listen to him every game. Maybe the guy that does the White Sox games is worse. I don't even know his name. I just hear his awful calls when I am watching highlights on the MLB Network.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So true. He's the last guy I would pick for the Yankees job if I had to pick any current announcer. His Yankees win call has to have gotten old to the people who listen to him every game. Maybe the guy that does the White Sox games is worse. I don't even know his name. I just hear his awful calls when I am watching highlights on the MLB Network.

YYYYYYES!!!!!

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ken 'Hawk' Harrelson...."you can put in on the boooooard.....YYYYES!!"

He's pretty bad too. Sterling is more annoying to me, but both suck balls deep.

Harrelson is just an uberhomer. It's ok to lean a little homer, that's sorta the point of your home announcers, but do it fairly and with intelligence. Hawk gets so upset at umps like he's one of us, but he's supposed to be better than that. He's just too emotional and fan-like. Some folks maybe like it, but give me Miller and Krukow and Kuiper any day over that.