• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Statley to the fans

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As a general rule, The Wave is a bad idea.

And it’s an absolutely awful thing to do at a football game when the home team is on offense.

Unfortunately, the crowd at Candlestick Park, perhaps losing its mind as their heroes closed in on their first division title since The Wave was still semi-acceptable, began standing up with hands raised, sitting down and roaring with delight in the third quarter of the Niners’ 26-0 win over St. Louis.

Hooray! Yippee! Yeah!

Actually, boo, said left tackle Joe Staley.

Late in the third quarter, as The Wave swept across the stadium, Alex Smith was sacked on third-and-9 by Rams defensive end James Hall, who beat left guard Mike Iupati. After the sack, Staley attempted to rip off his chinstrap and, with fists balled, screamed in frustration as he left the field.

No, he wasn’t mad at Iupati. Rather, he wasn’t too thrilled with the home crowd, which probably made Staley feel like he was back playing in the din of Detroit.

Here’s Staley’s postgame tweet: “Thanks to the fans for being so supportive and great this year so far. Keep it up. Just don’t start the wave anymore when we are on offense”

Replied center Jonathan Goodwin to his teammate, via Twitter, “I was waiting on u to tweet that lol”

Now, Joe Staley is a funny and engaging guy. A real delight.

But he’s also 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds.

It’s probably best to follow his instructions.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we really do have some dumb fans. Lot of times they get loud when were on offense and in the redzone, the opposite of what you want done.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get it, what does the "Wave" have to do with anything?

The motion might be distracting, but I'd assume it's the noise that goes with it. For contrast, when you see the Packers on O at home, it's almost a silent stadium.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The motion might be distracting, but I'd assume it's the noise that goes with it. For contrast, when you see the Packers on O at home, it's almost a silent stadium.

If its the noise, ok, but the actual wave is what was/is confusing me...

oh well, back to my ducky :bathbaby:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when your team is on o, it should be like a tennis match. i thought every fan in the stadium knew that?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when your team is on o, it should be like a tennis match. i thought every fan in the stadium knew that?

lol I've never been to a game, I don't live in cali, but my years following the team, leads me to believe fans in the stadiums are borderline retarded. I don't know which other teams have fans get louder while they are on offense. We do the wave while kickers are attempting field goals.

If you read the comment section of the original article, fans are acting offended that these "millionare egomaniacs" would ask them not to have fun at the game. They have no sense for it. we don't have a twelfth man, we have morons who think yelling for the offense will motivate them to do better.

They have comments like "Sure, it was the fans fault. YA RIGHT! Shut up you big overpaid lummox."

"ts better than fans fighting in the stands...players need to shut up and play and stop whining..."

retarded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck, another gem from the comment section.

It's football, not golf. These guys, like any other pro athletes or performers, need to learn to tune out the noise.

wow. If these morons make up any majority of our fans, we have no home field advantage.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
lol I've never been to a game, I don't live in cali, but my years following the team, leads me to believe fans in the stadiums are borderline retarded. I don't know which other teams have fans get louder while they are on offense. We do the wave while kickers are attempting field goals.

If you read the comment section of the original article, fans are acting offended that these "millionare egomaniacs" would ask them not to have fun at the game. They have no sense for it. we don't have a twelfth man, we have morons who think yelling for the offense will motivate them to do better.

They have comments like "Sure, it was the fans fault. YA RIGHT! Shut up you big overpaid lummox."

"ts better than fans fighting in the stands...players need to shut up and play and stop whining..."

retarded.

Repped! Well stated, Tzu

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of Dodger fans. The wave is non stop there for one...but I was at the game where Hiroki Kuroda was pitching. The beach ball craze runs rampant at Dodger Stadium and it gets to be pretty annoying. So he's got a no hitter going into the 8th inning. He get's the first guy out, and then the dumb ass fans hit the beach ball onto the field. It takes a bit for the guy to run out there and grab it and get off the field. The next batter gets a base hit.

Now, the guy may have gotten a hit either way, but it sure doesn't help the rhythm of the pitcher to do something like that. And why would you be hitting a beach ball around when your home town pitcher is 5 outs from a no no?? I thought it was pretty bad form, but then again...what do you expect from a Dodger fan??

Fans, just like players, have a certain etiquette they should follow. It's common sense.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

retarded.

Yeah Ive never been to a home game either but you can tell just by watching on TV, plus other posters have commented, on how our fans dont know when to get loud.

Its amazing if you compare one of our home games to one of the colts(in years past, not so much this year) Their fans were really good and disciplined. Very quiet when Peyton is going to work on offense. They dont really cheer either all that much on offense, more clapping. Then when their defense is on the field, they scream their heads off. Wish our fans were educated like this.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of Dodger fans. The wave is non stop there for one...but I was at the game where Hiroki Kuroda was pitching. The beach ball craze runs rampant at Dodger Stadium and it gets to be pretty annoying. So he's got a no hitter going into the 8th inning. He get's the first guy out, and then the dumb ass fans hit the beach ball onto the field. It takes a bit for the guy to run out there and grab it and get off the field. The next batter gets a base hit.

Now, the guy may have gotten a hit either way, but it sure doesn't help the rhythm of the pitcher to do something like that. And why would you be hitting a beach ball around when your home town pitcher is 5 outs from a no no?? I thought it was pretty bad form, but then again...what do you expect from a Dodger fan??

Fans, just like players, have a certain etiquette they should follow. It's common sense.

Classic. Sadly, that is the stadium where my fiance learned about baseball. She loves The Wave, beach balls, food and beer. 2 out of 4 isn't bad, but most importantly she is a Bay Area sports fan now.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah Ive never been to a home game either but you can tell just by watching on TV, plus other posters have commented, on how our fans dont know when to get loud.

Its amazing if you compare one of our home games to one of the colts (in years past, not so much this year) Their fans were really good and disciplined. Very quiet when Peyton is going to work on offense. They dont really cheer either all that much on offense, more clapping. Then when their defense is on the field, they scream their heads off. Wish our fans were educated like this.

Broncos Fans @ the old Mile High Stadium were just as your are describing the Colts fans - Very knowledgeable and very disciplined.