• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Montana on Alex Smith and the Niners

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't start too many threads and when I do it's 50/50 on whether I think they were worth new threads, especially if they involve Alex. But this one I think all of you should watch. There are more videos from the same conference following the link.

Joe masters the offense and explaining the offense and I think as a former QB he understands what Smith has gone through and what Smith is trying for this Saturday.

He said he was asked to watch film on Alex back in the Singletary/Nolan days and after watching 3-4 drives, his feedback was: "your offense sucks." He said that in the video he "could not find anyone for Smith to throw the ball to" which is something that fans and announcers don't realize, i.e. when you throw 5 yards on 3rd and 15. This is not meant to excuse Smith from the limitations he does have, but instead show that some of the performance was affected, to the point that the great Montana could see without being on the field or having the playbook. He also said how every year having a new coordinator was like having a different job every year - you're not going to perform as well as stability. Now, these things appear obvious to me, but were clearly labeled as "Alexcuses" by many. There was plenty people could criticize Alex for without having to be blind/marginalist of the legitimate obstacles he faced.

But that's not why I post. I liked the following best.

He said Bill Walsh said that when you throw the ball 3 things can happen and two of them are bad (INC and INTs) and the farther the pass is, the more likely the two bad things happen. As the defense has to creep up for the short passes, longer passes may open up and this happens along with greater confidence. Smith has to be patient with the system and know that short passes, methodical drives can lead to victory as well as open up the big plays. He said that a four yard run is great so why isn't a four yard pass? Expectations of both fans and the QB is to get it farther. One idea is that the reward of four yards isn't worth the risk of the short pass, whereas the big, long pass may be - though fumbles are common enough and on the first down with time not being the big issue, a short pass is better than an INT (risk too strong). Keep at it, trust the system, pretty soon it'll be 1st and goal (though Red Zone has been an issue of ours).

Joe Montana's Advice for Alex Smith and the Niners

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Goosebumps!!!...Seeing those guys, listening to their words and seeing those trophies perched behind - Absolute Goosebumps!!!

Maiocco has to be in heaven scoring that interview...

Great Post, '82 - Definitely worth its own thread!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was watching some of the '81 NFC Championship game at this dance club last night. Montana was like Greg Oden; he always looked like he was 45 years old.

Rookie:

joemontanarookie.jpg

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your offense sucks....hahaha lol. rep joe montana right there

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe is so good at simplifying complicated concepts. Thanks for the post!

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I was watching some of the '81 NFC Championship game at this dance club last night. Montana was like Greg Oden; he always looked like he was 45 years old.

Rookie:

joemontanarookie.jpg

Thats funny, I was watching that too though not at a club lol. Montana threw two picks in that game and I think we had 4 TO. Watching that game seemed similar to how the Niners have played some games and how Saturday could go. In the end, as long as we WIN it does not matter how it happens.

Interesting fact, I didn't know the Dallas QB White was also the punter. Should have taken a run at him even if cost the Niners 15 lol.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thats funny, I was watching that too though not at a club lol. Montana threw two picks in that game and I think we had 4 TO. Watching that game seemed similar to how the Niners have played some games and how Saturday could go. In the end, as long as we WIN it does not matter how it happens.

Interesting fact, I didn't know the Dallas QB White was also the punter. Should have taken a run at him even if cost the Niners 15 lol.

Close, Joe threw 3 picks and had 1 fumble - as a team we overcame 6 TO's in that game...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I didn't watch the whole game, but I know at least one of those picks was bobbled in the air by a receiver.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was taking a look at the round table video of the beat reporters. Barrows is TINY. I knew he was a smaller guy, but I'd be surprised if he was cracking 5'3", 125 based on this video.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
think Barrow's head is bigger than his entire body

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. I can't tell if it's just the angle, but his shoulders look like they're eight inches across.

lol I have a HUGE head, it's massive, but I'm thankful to also be a big guy, if I had the barrows little body & big head I might be depressed.