• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JL Skinner S Boise State , 6th Round

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know much about him, but appears to be a value pick who can hit like a brick and support the run defense.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok with Skinner.

I like the kid.

He has a very rate size/athletic combination you just don't find any many S's. What I like most about him is how physical he is... Not calling him Kam Chancellor because that is saying a lot but he has that Chancellor like size and physicality to him. He has a nasty style of play. He can help right away on special teams and develop as a safety. I had him going in Rd 4 before his injury and lets face it his injury is not a lingering or any concerning injury it just takes time to heal and the thing that will suck for him is that he really won't be able to do much football stuff until right before camp/PS starts. Could be a possibility to start the season on the PUP but the skillset is much better then his draft status. This is a value pick at a position we have a lot of question marks at. We have a starting spot open and depth spot opens and a fair amount of bodies. Will be interesting to see if Sterns can hammer down a starting job with his ball skills and if my guy Turner- Yell steps up in year two. Do we re-sign Kareem?

I don't think you can use him a lot in man to man coverage over the top. He is a downhill guy who had instincts but his man to man cover skills over the top is something you are going to have to try to hide from being exposed.

I think Skinner is a wonderful pick here but could start off a bit slow with the injury.. Good chance he may start on the PUP, IMO and at this time a year from now we could be BOOMING with excitement going into next year speaking about this guy.

Could have the upside of a Kam Chancellor or the downside of a Robert Sands another tall S who was legit at WV drafted by the Bengals years ago but had injury issues and couldn't cover or tackle in the NFL. Chancellor is an extreme upside. I understand he probably isn't Chancellor, his physicality was on another level. But his upside has similar traits to Chancellor, don't expect him to be Kam but hopefully better then Robert Sands.

Really good swing late in the draft in Round 6.

When our pick came up in Round 6 my brother asked me who I wanted and I told him Zach Evans, Dewayne McBride or JL Skinner...

Felt to me like a good chance we ended up with one of the Boise State DB's in Skinner or Jones.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok with Skinner.

I like the kid.

He has a very rate size/athletic combination you just don't find any many S's. What I like most about him is how physical he is... Not calling him Kam Chancellor because that is saying a lot but he has that Chancellor like size and physicality to him. He has a nasty style of play. He can help right away on special teams and develop as a safety. I had him going in Rd 4 before his injury and lets face it his injury is not a lingering or any concerning injury it just takes time to heal and the thing that will suck for him is that he really won't be able to do much football stuff until right before camp/PS starts. Could be a possibility to start the season on the PUP but the skillset is much better then his draft status. This is a value pick at a position we have a lot of question marks at. We have a starting spot open and depth spot opens and a fair amount of bodies. Will be interesting to see if Sterns can hammer down a starting job with his ball skills and if my guy Turner- Yell steps up in year two. Do we re-sign Kareem?

I don't think you can use him a lot in man to man coverage over the top. He is a downhill guy who had instincts but his man to man cover skills over the top is something you are going to have to try to hide from being exposed.

I think Skinner is a wonderful pick here but could start off a bit slow with the injury.. Good chance he may start on the PUP, IMO and at this time a year from now we could be BOOMING with excitement going into next year speaking about this guy.

Could have the upside of a Kam Chancellor or the downside of a Robert Sands another tall S who was legit at WV drafted by the Bengals years ago but had injury issues and couldn't cover or tackle in the NFL. Chancellor is an extreme upside. I understand he probably isn't Chancellor, his physicality was on another level. But his upside has similar traits to Chancellor, don't expect him to be Kam but hopefully better then Robert Sands.

Really good swing late in the draft in Round 6.

When our pick came up in Round 6 my brother asked me who I wanted and I told him Zach Evans, Dewayne McBride or JL Skinner...

Felt to me like a good chance we ended up with one of the Boise State DB's in Skinner or Jones.
I thought maybe Skinner's pick is an indication we might see more zone coverage than we have in the past. It's clear Payton wants bigger more physical guys than the Broncos have been rostering in the recent past.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought maybe Skinner's pick is an indication we might see more zone coverage than we have in the past. It's clear Payton wants bigger more physical guys than the Broncos have been rostering in the recent past.

Yeah, if you look at Payton's history he usually has very physical S's and he rotates his CB's a lot. Not his starters but his depth. He uses all of his DB's a lot. Good for a DB fan like me. Of course that could all be a Gregg Williams thing too and not Payton but.....

Payton coaches teams aren't afraid to use rookies early too.

Skinner is VERY physical.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coachspeak.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great value pick here. I do have to push back a bit. I'm a huge Atwater and Dennis Smith guy if this was the 90's I'd be dancing in the streets over this one. Myself and many others have said, the game is different and Atwater types aren't as valuable in todays game. I know people on here are way smarter than I am on this stuff but, it was my first thought when we drafted him.

Can you tell me why this pick is great (Because our DL is weak) we need this guy for now to stop the run?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My favorite player at Boise ST . They are the only College team I watch each week. he was always solid always where he was supposed to be. Impact plays that won plenty of games. instincts

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hits hard but that is a very small part of his game. He never misses a tackle great form tackles . tackles for lost yardage often. That means Saftey blitzes for him!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss is also a great tackler. I love guys who can tackle and stop forward motion.