• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Kill retires

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ScarletNation.com - Jerry Kill retires, leaves position as Rutgers offensive coordinator

Bobby Deren • ScarletNation.com
@BobbyDeren

Scarlet Nation has confirmed that Rutgers offensive coordinator Jerry Kill will not rejoin the team next season. Head coach Chris Ash released a statement regarding Kill's departure.

“I would like to thank Jerry, Rebecca and their entire family for everything they did for our program, both on and off the field,” said head coach Chris Ash. “Jerry had a great impact on our coaching staff and was a tremendous influence on all of our players. I wish Jerry and his wife the best and they will always be part of our Rutgers family.”

Kill was brought on board last December after former offensive coordinator Drew Mehringer left for an assistant coaching job at Texas.

Kill’s departure is due to health concerns, stemming from his epileptic condition. He left his previous head coaching job at Minnesota for the same health-related reasons.

The longtime coach offered up his thoughts on leaving his position as Rutgers offensive coordinator.

“I want to thank Chris Ash and Pat Hobbs for giving me the opportunity to coach at Rutgers. I would also like to thank the players, the Rutgers family, fans and media for everything they have done for Rebecca and I. This program is definitely headed in the right direction with coach Ash and I know that firsthand. I enjoyed the year being an assistant coach and had a ton of fun with the players and coaches.

"I hope that through my 34 years of coaching that I was able to be a positive influence on young people because that is truly why I coach. I want to thank all the players for what they have done for me. I appreciate and love all of the people that are part of my family. I don’t have any regrets and I’ve had a blessed career. I love this game and all the coaches that I’ve worked with. They have all made Jerry Kill a better man. I know that I did it the right way and I did it my way. I gave everything I had to the game, I just ran out of juice.”

This past season, Kill was hospitalized because of a seizure incident that occurred a day after he took a sideline hit against Eastern Michigan in week No.2.

That has left Ash in the midst of a coaching search for the program's ninth offensive coordinator in as many years.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There goes any chance Rutgers had of winning the B1G next season.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had already retired from Minnesota.

I didn't even know he was back coaching. He built the No Ill program.
Did a good job with Minnesota.

That he was coaching kinda leads me to believe Minnesota made a business
decision that they made Jerry go along with.

I'm not going to blame Minnesota, but I don't think I'm going to applaud them either.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he had already retired from Minnesota.

I didn't even know he was back coaching. He built the No Ill program.
Did a good job with Minnesota.

That he was coaching kinda leads me to believe Minnesota made a business
decision that they made Jerry go along with.

I'm not going to blame Minnesota, but I don't think I'm going to applaud them either.

No. He resigned/retired from MN mid-season 2015 due to his health. U of MN did not force him out.

He took an administrative job at Kansas in 2016. No travel, no coaching. It's also where his home was.

Took the OC job at Rutgers, because he got the itch again, and thought his health had improved enough, that he could handle it.

But really, it is unfortunate. He was a great guy for the program, and for the students. It was the U of MN that tried to help him, even sending him to Mayo. His presser after resigning, was one of the most tear inducing announcements I've ever seen. It was his diecision, and it was about his health. Minnesota wasn't making any decisions, and sadly, were left with Claeys for the remainder of the season and 2016. If it weren't for the U's loyalty to Kill, Claeys wouldn't have even been given a chance.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kill was a coach everyone had to respect. Glad he got to leave respectfully on his own terms and not be forced out in a negative way.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad to hear this. He seemed like one of the genuinely good guys in the sport.