• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeremy Affeldt Retires

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little tin foil hat for me....then why didn't "they" "fix them up" with more than 1 championship? Also, wouldn't the Cubs have been a better choice? Better claim to Americas Team, WGN, good for baseball, etc?

I wonder if anyone e has actually looked at the tape to see if they did get calls or that's just the perception

I do remember several games where they would show the above camera shot, where the lefty Glavine was pitching, and he was consistently getting the call on the outside "corner" to RHH's a good 6-8-10 inches off the plate, because the catcher was setting up out there. It was egregious and incredible.

As to why, obviously I can only speculate. All I know is when there is a great deal of money riding on the outcome of something, the truth unfortunately does not always win out.

I welcome the day when computers and cameras will be calling balls and strikes, or at least are available to do so on request, much like they are able to call tennis lines.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he was also the manager that did jack shit with all that talent.
Which goes to show how rare a manager like Bruce Bochy really is. Many guys cannot even get their teams to the playoffs. Fewer can get them there with regularity. Only a small portion can do so and win it all. Out of that group, only a fraction win it all with regularity.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which goes to show how rare a manager like Bruce Bochy really is. Many guys cannot even get their teams to the playoffs. Fewer can get them there with regularity. Only a small portion can do so and win it all. Out of that group, only a fraction win it all with regularity.

Which as mentioned upthread, takes a ton of luck. Without some very minor events Bochy might have 1 ring and no one is talking about him for the HOF. And not because he's any worse at managing, just playoff luck. Fooled by randomness and whatnot.

I agree Bochy is one of the best, but he's been lucky too (as have we all!)

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which as mentioned upthread, takes a ton of luck. Without some very minor events Bochy might have 1 ring and no one is talking about him for the HOF. And not because he's any worse at managing, just playoff luck. Fooled by randomness and whatnot.

I agree Bochy is one of the best, but he's been lucky too (as have we all!)
There's no question that things have to fall the right way (like a bunt that stays just inside the line). But if Cox takes the fall for his team failing so many years at getting the ultimate win, then managers like Bochy should get the credit for doing it so often.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no question that things have to fall the right way (like a bunt that stays just inside the line). But if Cox takes the fall for his team failing so many years at getting the ultimate win, then managers like Bochy should get the credit for doing it so often.

That's just it, to me I don't think Cox is to blame. Just some bad luck for his teams in the playoffs. I do acknowledge that managing matters in the playoffs (Bochy basically won 2014 by outmanaging Yost), but it is a very big accomplishment to win the division as much as Cox did. I think he's a legit HOFer

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it, to me I don't think Cox is to blame. Just some bad luck for his teams in the playoffs. I do acknowledge that managing matters in the playoffs (Bochy basically won 2014 by outmanaging Yost), but it is a very big accomplishment to win the division as much as Cox did. I think he's a legit HOFer
But 1 for 13 is pretty massive. I cant get past that.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But 1 for 13 is pretty massive. I cant get past that.

It's a fair point, that's more than just luck. I guess we can say he was a great regular season manager, weak playoff manager. Still HOFer to me

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fair point, that's more than just luck. I guess we can say he was a great regular season manager, weak playoff manager. Still HOFer to me
There are lots of facets to being a manager. People management. Game management. Bully management. Lineup management. Umpire management. I am sure there are other facets as well.

Boch is an expert in probably 3 of these 5 (people, game and bully). I would guess Cox was probably an expert in 3 as well (people, bully and umpire).

Game errors can be overcome in the regular season. Basically, talent will rise to the top, unless the people management has been completely FUBARed (see Williams, Matt). In the regular season, unless you are Pete Rose and have 5K riding on the game, no single game is must win. In the playoffs, every game IS must-win. Game errors are amplified 10-fold.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little tin foil hat for me....then why didn't "they" "fix them up" with more than 1 championship? Also, wouldn't the Cubs have been a better choice? Better claim to Americas Team, WGN, good for baseball, etc?

I wonder if anyone e has actually looked at the tape to see if they did get calls or that's just the perception

I wonder what the PITCHf/x shows. The problem is that PITCHf/x only came at the end of the careers of Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux.