• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeremy Affeldt Retires

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

Not the most surprising news of the decade. But I am glad he is retiring instead of putting on another jersey.

You are/were a GREAT Giant, JA. Can't wait to see you on MLB network (or wherever you end up).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Affeldt's first big impression on me when he dawned the uniform. 2009, April, versus the Padres. Comes into a tie game late with a runner on 3rd <2outs, strikes out Giles and Gonzalez, both looking, both with the nasty curveball. The energy he showed after that, in an early season game, against the then favorite for the division? Awesome. (edit: found the video. mlb.com saves these going pretty far back, if you know exactly what to look for Affeldt's clutch pitching)

There were other huge moments too, like coming in for Durty against the Phillies in the NLCS, staying away from the brawl to continue warming up and saving the game, or his postseason work as a whole, where since game 3 of the 2010 World Series, Affeldt has pitched 22 consecutive scoreless innings in the playoffs, and only 3 runs in 31.1 innings overall. He was always a big game pitcher for the Giants, arguably the second best behind Bumgarner.

Off the field, always praised as a good teammate, and was the butt of every joke. You could make a compilation video of all the japes made off Affeldt on camera.
He was also a huge face of the organization in the community and did a lot of charity work.

He retired at the right tome though, he was always injury prone and showing signs of harsh decline. Good Giant.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Affeldt's first big impression on me when he dawned the uniform. 2009, April, versus the Padres. Comes into a tie game late with a runner on 3rd <2outs, strikes out Giles and Gonzalez, both looking, both with the nasty curveball. The energy he showed after that, in an early season game, against the then favorite for the division? Awesome. (edit: found the video. mlb.com saves these going pretty far back, if you know exactly what to look for Affeldt's clutch pitching)

There were other huge moments too, like coming in for Durty against the Phillies in the NLCS, staying away from the brawl to continue warming up and saving the game, or his postseason work as a whole, where since game 3 of the 2010 World Series, Affeldt has pitched 22 consecutive scoreless innings in the playoffs, and only 3 runs in 31.1 innings overall. He was always a big game pitcher for the Giants, arguably the second best behind Bumgarner.

Off the field, always praised as a good teammate, and was the butt of every joke. You could make a compilation video of all the japes made off Affeldt on camera.
He was also a huge face of the organization in the community and did a lot of charity work.

He retired at the right tome though, he was always injury prone and showing signs of harsh decline. Good Giant.

Those are some of my best memories of Affelt, especially when he threw scoreless innings after the Sanchez meltdown against the Phillies. He had a big part in all of the playoff runs. Wish him the best.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His playoff ERA was 0.86 with a WHIP of 0.70.

effing stud.

I was thinking about his retirement, as he clearly could get another contract somewhere (not here). I'll bet Mrs. Affeldt had something to do with it. Three boys, has been in the BA for 6-7 years now, has critical mass in his mid 30s...wife probably said "Jeremy, we are NOT moving." Thus, it's retirement or the A'ss.

Well played, Patty. You were a stud Giant and deserve a place on the wall.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a fan of rookies, especially in the early 00s, I remember when he came up with the Royals and was rooting for him to do well in their starting rotation. (Side note, I used to feel really bad about the Royals back in the 90s and 00s, always showing promise in the farm but most of the guys never panning out and the few who did were gone by the time they hit their prime. So what happens? They finally do well the year that have to meet the Giants in the World Series. I guess I should root for them this year.)

I can say that I wasn't too thrilled when the Giants signed him. He did okay in Cincinnati the year before but nothing too exciting about his numbers. Hardly seemed like a good signing at the time (to me. Shows what I know). Over the years, he's proved me wrong time and time again.

How can we also forget his brilliant performance in game 7 of the World Series last year? Had he fallen flat, there would be no talk of Bumgarner being the MVP of the WS. Incredible character, seems like a great guy. I hope he sticks around the Bay Area for his post playing career.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminded me a lot of Rob Nen.

Have to respect a guy who announces his retirement in October instead of February. (Cough, Mariano, cough)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll forever love the guy for the work he did after he took over for idiot hothead Sanchez in the 2010 NLCS Game 6. That was a potentially history changing moment. If the Phils had put up a crooked number there, then maybe they go on to win the series and we never build up the momentum to win a title in 2012 and 2014.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll forever love the guy for the work he did after he took over for idiot hothead Sanchez in the 2010 NLCS Game 6. That was a potentially history changing moment. If the Phils had put up a crooked number there, then maybe they go on to win the series and we never build up the momentum to win a title in 2012 and 2014.

That's what makes baseball playoffs so crazy/random. Think of all the series that turned on a small moment like that. In 2010 that Atlanta 2B with all the errors. In 2012 in Cincinatti, if Rolen doesn't make an error in game 3 we get swept. In 2014 in the WS Yost stupidly leaves his 3 BP weapons on the bench in a critical moment in game 4 and we avoid going down 3-1. And there are many others.

Any one of those don't happen, and the whole 'dynasty' narrative is different. A lot of luck involved. Look at those Braves teams that kept winning divisions and won only one WS. Great team, no one remembers the dominance.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what makes baseball playoffs so crazy/random. Think of all the series that turned on a small moment like that. In 2010 that Atlanta 2B with all the errors. In 2012 in Cincinatti, if Rolen doesn't make an error in game 3 we get swept. In 2014 in the WS Yost stupidly leaves his 3 BP weapons on the bench in a critical moment in game 4 and we avoid going down 3-1. And there are many others.

Any one of those don't happen, and the whole 'dynasty' narrative is different. A lot of luck involved. Look at those Braves teams that kept winning divisions and won only one WS. Great team, no one remembers the dominance.

Yeah, those Braves teams had enough talent to win 5 or more WS's.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, those Braves teams had enough talent to win 5 or more WS's.
Well maybe it had something to do with the strike zone not being three feet wide for their pitchers during the playoffs like it was during the regular season.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe it had something to do with the strike zone not being three feet wide for their pitchers during the playoffs like it was during the regular season.

Maybe, but having three HOF pitchers in Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux could've easily netted more than one WS.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cox was over-rated. Talk to most any long time, knowledgable Braves fan, and they will make the same claim.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cox was over-rated. Talk to most any long time, knowledgable Braves fan, and they will make the same claim.
Keep this in mind though, he was the GM (1986-1990) when they assembled most of that talent. He was the one in charge when they drafted Justice, Gant, Glavine, Avery, etc all and traded for Smoltz.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep this in mind though, he was the GM (1986-1990) when they assembled most of that talent. He was the one in charge when they drafted Justice, Gant, Glavine, Avery, etc all and traded for Smoltz.
But he was also the manager that did jack shit with all that talent.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The only concrete example I can think of right now of Cox screwing up in the playoffs is carrying 3 catchers in their 2002 series against us. That series ended on a double play. It would've been nice for the Braves to use a competent pinch runner in that situation. I would need to dig deep into my memory bank for other examples.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but having three HOF pitchers in Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux could've easily netted more than one WS.
You missed my point. With the strike zones the umps gave them, I'd have been a Hall of Fame candidate, too.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed my point. With the strike zones the umps gave them, I'd have been a Hall of Fame candidate, too.

This actually got me thinking.....WHY did those 3 gets that kind of treatment?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This actually got me thinking.....WHY did those 3 gets that kind of treatment?
"America's Team". Turner Broadcasting. Rise of cable television. It was good for baseball.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"America's Team". Turner Broadcasting. Rise of cable television. It was good for baseball.

A little tin foil hat for me....then why didn't "they" "fix them up" with more than 1 championship? Also, wouldn't the Cubs have been a better choice? Better claim to Americas Team, WGN, good for baseball, etc?

I wonder if anyone e has actually looked at the tape to see if they did get calls or that's just the perception