• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Schultz up, Tanner Pearson down

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link

The Los Angeles Kings have recalled defenseman Jeff Schultz from the American Hockey League’s Manchester Monarchs and have assigned forward Tanner Pearson to Manchester, Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi announced today.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will give Tanner Pearson more ice time in the AHL and the Kings get a defenseman up as insurance

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord I hope it's Muffin.

Schultz is a SAH defender, hopefully the Kings are going to insert him tonight and pair him with Martinez. However, I would not be surprised to see Muzzin still in unfortunately.

Anaheim has some big forwards in Perry and Getzlaf, the size will help deter them.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lord I hope it's Muffin.

Schultz is a SAH defender, hopefully the Kings are going to insert him tonight and pair him with Martinez. However, I would not be surprised to see Muzzin still in unfortunately.

Anaheim has some big forwards in Perry and Getzlaf, the size will help deter them.

And Bruce Boudreau used to coach Jeff Schultz, so he might know something about BB's tendencies as a coach

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bruce Boudreau used to coach Jeff Schultz, so he might know something about BB's tendencies as a coach

Works both ways though, Schultz was bought out by the Crapitals because he didn't meet expectations, especially for being a 1st round pick. That 2004 draft wasn't all that great though so not much you can say about that.

Fatso will know his tendencies too, which could hurt but I'm looking at this as a surprise factor - Schultz hasn't played an NHL game this season so the Ducks may not know what exactly to expect.

Hopefully this works in the Kings' favor and not Anaheim's.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Works both ways though, Schultz was bought out by the Crapitals because he didn't meet expectations, especially for being a 1st round pick. That 2004 draft wasn't all that great though so not much you can say about that.

Fatso will know his tendencies too, which could hurt but I'm looking at this as a surprise factor - Schultz hasn't played an NHL game this season so the Ducks may not know what exactly to expect.

Hopefully this works in the Kings' favor and not Anaheim's.

It does work both ways, but Jeff Schultz was a +50 one year, so it's not like he completely sucks - and the Kings blueline is deep so it's not like he can easily crack the lineup too

The Caps wouldn't know a good defenseman if they saw one so I wouldn't trust any of their decisions

But the Kings do need a smart, physical defenseman that won't make stupid mistakes - Jake Muzzin can be physical but he's dumber than a box of rocks, so Jeff Schultz might be a good bet for a game like tonight

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muzzin may just have saved his starting job with his performance last night. It was easily the best game he's had this year and the most physical I've ever seen him play. I couldn't believe it was really Jake Muzzin in that number 6 jersey.

This move to me says that Matt Green isn't very close to returning. Better to have 2 extra forwards and 1 extra defenseman than 3 extra forwards. When Green is finally ready somebody goes on waivers to go down to Manchester.

Ox

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does work both ways, but Jeff Schultz was a +50 one year, so it's not like he completely sucks - and the Kings blueline is deep so it's not like he can easily crack the lineup too

Plus/minus is not a very indicative stat, it's a team stat more than an individual stat especially when you consider who the player actually is.

A guy like Lidstrom with a +50, that's his true number because he was solid at both ends of the ice. A guy like Schultz, he was in the Caps' top 2 defenders and played with Ovechkin and he lit it up. A guy like Jack Johnson and his usual -20, -25, also indicative of his skill set because it isn't a secret he couldn't cover a picnic table with a 20' tarp let alone his man. It's all relative to a lot of factors.

We've been through this ad nauseum over the last 14 or so years and no one here really takes that number (whatever it may be) on its face value.

The Caps wouldn't know a good defenseman if they saw one so I wouldn't trust any of their decisions

Absolutely true, I remember when Alzner was drafted a poster here who hasn't posted since we made the jump from ESPN said the Kings should have taken him instead of Hickey because he was the most NHL ready. While that was true, he would have been a 5th-6th defender here based on what was being developed.

But the Kings do need a smart, physical defenseman that won't make stupid mistakes - Jake Muzzin can be physical but he's dumber than a box of rocks, so Jeff Schultz might be a good bet for a game like tonight

That's where I'm at and I'm hoping Schultz is in.