• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Muzzin (Part 2)

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Muzzin (Part 2)

Muzzin had to evolve again once he hit the AHL. Muzzin admits that as ready as he was physically for the NHL, he wasn’t mentally prepared for the transition from junior to pro.

“He was trying to play the game like he always played the game, but against better players,” said Mike O’Connell, who served as part of the Kings development team and worked closely with Muzzin with the Manchester Monarchs.

Muzzin had size, vision and an eagerness to quarterback the power play, but the coaching staff forced him to improve his gap control and the speed that decisions needed to come on the ice. The staff asked him to become a student of the game, relearning the way he played and accepting who he was as a player: Agile enough on his feet that he could become an imposing force, at both ends of the ice.

The Monarchs were careful not to overexert Muzzin physically, knowing full well how herniated disc surgery had impacted his career. But as they began to understand how much Muzzin wanted to improve within the parameters they’d set for him, the Monarchs began asking him to apply more physicality to his game.

“He started to realize he was durable,” said then-Monarchs head coach Mark Morris.

Muzzin matured quickly in the AHL, rapidly developing into a top NHL prospect. Morris saw a thoughtfulness in him that was unique, admiring how he tried to play outside his comfort level.

“The ones that are humble,” said Morris, “seem to be the ones who excel the quickest.”

Once the NHL lockout ended in January 2013, Muzzin became a full-time NHLer.

By his second season, he was paired with Drew Doughty almost every night.

Doughty, one of the best defencemen in the game, admired Muzzin’s composure despite his limited experience.

“It’s better to play with a calm and composed person,” said Doughty, “rather than someone who’s in their own head.”

The two bonded off the ice, spending summers together on the golf course and at teammates’ bachelor parties.

“He’ll do anything for his friends,” said Doughty. “He takes a lot of pride in being a good friend. I’ll be friends with him forever.”

Muzzin’s love of golf wasn’t just limited to his time in Los Angeles. Some Leafs teammates have taken to calling him “Golf Channel” because of his obsession with the game.

“He watches every tournament,” said Leafs defenceman Justin Holl. “Lives for it.”

Many off-day activities will often lead to Muzzin inquiring about the Golf Channel, and then sharing his encyclopedic knowledge.

“He knows everyone,” said Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly about Muzzin’s golf knowledge. Rielly invited Muzzin over to his Vancouver home on an off-day on their recent road trip and Muzzin began flipping through the Rielly’s TV, looking for the Golf Channel.

And when the Leafs swung through Arizona in February, Rielly joined Muzzin for nine holes for the first time.

Muzzin’s experience extended off the ice as well.

“He was helping me with my swing, tricks that I could do,” said Rielly.

The leadership Muzzin showed Rielly on the golf course pales in comparison to what he’s demonstrated in his short tenure with the Leafs.

“He’s a guy that players look up to on this team, myself included,” said Rielly of Muzzin’s Stanley Cup-winning experience. “Younger guys on this team look to him for advice.”

Rielly is in awe of how Muzzin, married, with a child on the way and living out of a hotel since the trade, arrives at the rink with the same smile on his face.

“He’s a happy guy, he’s never really down,” said Rielly. “He comes into work with the same work ethic and that’s pretty valuable.”

“Steady Eddie,” said Leafs forward Connor Brown of his demeanour on and off the ice and on the golf course as well.

That demeanour and experience have paid off lately. In the 13 games since Gardiner and Dermott went down, Muzzin has averaged 22:33 of ice time per game and chipped in four goals and five assists. In his 14 games as a Maple Leaf he averaged 19:07 and had one goal and seven points. With the playoffs approaching and question marks on the backend, Muzzin will continue to be leaned on

One of Muzzin’s fondest memories of his time in Los Angeles came in the summer of 2014. After winning the Cup, he brought it home to Woodstock.

He was doubtful anyone would show up for a parade. But once he boarded a fire truck and set out on a journey down the main street toward the rink, he realized thousands of people had left their homes to line the sidewalks.

After a day full of parties, Muzzin spent three hours signing hockey cards and jerseys at the community centre.

“It brought things full circle,” said his mother, Judy.

More than 2,000 children showed up that day. Some of them were inspired by Muzzin’s success, coming from their little hometown and beating the odds.

Geerlinks, Muzzin’s childhood friend, coaches a major novice team in Woodstock. He overheard young players talking about Muzzin and his Stanley Cup win again and again.

“For the kids to see him, it shows that if you have a goal in mind, you can achieve something,” Geerlinks said.

Now Muzzin hopes to relive that journey again.

In February, Geerlinks attended his first Leafs game to see his best friend with his new team. He had been to Kings games many times and never experienced any trouble finding and connecting with Muzzin after the game.

In the bowels of Scotiabank Arena, however, Geerlinks was stunned. The amount of media and additional personnel in Toronto made him realize not only how much pressure Muzzin was now under but also made him skeptical whether he’d even get a word in at the end of the game.

Then Muzzin appeared, making a beeline to his old friend. And it was like old times.

“Same ol’ Muzz,” Geerlinks said.

“You have status, you’re in the limelight, but really, at the end of the day, you’re just a regular guy working,” said Muzzin. “It’s going to come to an end one day, and then you’re right back where you belong. So I wouldn’t get too carried away while you’re here.”

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the post. Pretty good read.

I don't dislike Muzzin, and glad for his journey/success. I just think he's a turnover machine and his redeeming qualities weren't offsetting his downside anymore. I think LA got good value for him, and I'm glad he's on a team that needed him, and that will be in the Playoffs. Hopefully he continues to have success.