• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeff Fisher Football

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean to you? Over his career its been a great pass rush and running the football. Lots of 7-9 win teams and an occasional win streak with good QB play.

The Rams have a great pass rush. A+

But the Rams aren't playing Jeff Fisher football. They've had the worst offensive line play and the worst Tight End play in football the past two weeks.

They abandoned the run against Washington. Thats one issue. The issue against Pittsburgh is worse, though. They ran a decent amount and had lots of negative plays, no big plays with the run and no time of possession dominance. Thats not what 'Jeff Fisher' football is supposed to look like or traditional football or whatever you want to call it.

You also run the football so you won't have as many penalties. It should be easier to run block than pass block as a general rule of thumb. Offensive linemen like going forwards. Thats obviously not working.

Rams offense was basically: 1st down get stuffed. 2nd and long get 2-3 yards. 3rd down complete a pass right before the first down marker. 4th down punt. The point of running on first and second down is to make 3rd down easy.

The Rams are 32nd in first downs with less than half as many First Downs as New England in the same number of games. They are 29th in 3rd down Percentage and 0-3 on 4th down which qualifies them for last in that regard. The Rams are 31st in Time of Possession.

The point of running the ball is to make 3rd down easier and to control the ball.

The Rams are also 32nd in Yards Gained but they are averaging 3.8 yards a rush attempt which isnt super terrible and they are 15th in yards per pass attempt.

This pretty much has to turn around. The Rams are experts at getting 9 yards in 3 plays and punting. They get an extra yard here and an extra yard there and then maybe we can talk about Jeff Fisher Football. Right now, they are just taking what the defense gives them and getting nothing more.

What the team needs is leadership

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what people were expecting. We went in knowing our o-line wasn't ready. We also new our QB was learning a new offense and our new stud RB wasn't ready. We also knew the first part of our season is a meat grinder. Just not sure what everyone expected. :L

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I was expecting was competitive football from all aspects of the game, which the rams have failed to do so under Fisher. Regardless of the schedule, the team should be prepared to play to the caliber of a NFL team. Simply having a defense and gaining 9 yards when first downs consist of 10 yards is Fisher ball. Yep , 6-10 and 7-9 teams, with a lot of hoping and wishing that players get better when the scheme is isn't to great to start.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what people were expecting. We went in knowing our o-line wasn't ready. We also new our QB was learning a new offense and our new stud RB wasn't ready. We also knew the first part of our season is a meat grinder. Just not sure what everyone expected
Is this years team better than last seasons? yes a little, I thought they would be a lot better. Maybe they will be better as the season progresses but I'm too cheep to bet on it. I'm still hopeful after last weeks stinging loss but if it goes bad my Cardinal fan brothers in law all 5 of them and my nephews are going to wear my I phone out on Sunday...:L

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that "stud RB" didn't get nowhere near enough carries. Against a team like Pittsburgh a RBBC is gonna hurt you. Are you expecting Gurley to bust out a 50 yard run on sheer will with his six carries in a game?

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that "stud RB" didn't get nowhere near enough carries. Against a team like Pittsburgh a RBBC is gonna hurt you. Are you expecting Gurley to bust out a 50 yard run on sheer will with his six carries in a game?

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much from Gurley this year. You just hope he can make some plays to provide some spark in this offense.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe getting Gurley some more carries would lead to big runs which is what they need but the Rams have a more fundamental problem. Nobody is getting touches because they are last in the league in moving the chains. All that running the football has gained is being 31st in time of possession.

Maybe Gurley is the answer. Britt and Austin have been the only real bright spots on offense so far. Our tight ends have something like 6 drops/miscommunication the past 2 games. Thats probably 6 first downs and 10-14 points left on the field just with that.

They need to start running through defenders or over them. They aren't getting anything the defense doesn't want to give them. At least not after Seattle. The Rams torched Seattle somehow.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They may have been running the football but it's unsuccessful because not one appears to get enough carries. And also, one RB could not be ready or could be ready and the defense makes a good play. Rams are not good enough in the passing game to be able to play a successful RBBC.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Fisher should take care of the defense because that is obviously much of what he knows and turn others on his staff loose. The answer to our pathetic offense is right on Jeff Fisher's staff and I suggested this back in the summer before the season started. The suggestion is leave Weinke as the QB coach, get rid of Cignetti as the OC, and promote Jeff Garcia who was trained in Bill Walsh's explosive, ball-control offense when he played for San Francisco. Foles is the perfect QB for that offense. We have the RBs and the O-line that eventually could all come together under the direction of Garcia. I suspect this offense needs a fresh start because it is going nowhere fast as it presently exists.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Gurley's preseason yall so IMO he needs a few more games to get into more of a rhythm. As far as the Oline and the talent at WR??? Tavon is NOT on the field every play.

That's pathetic when you trade up to get a guy at #5 overall. It's funny as hell when you see teams like ATL do it for a guy like Julio Jones or like nobody did last year when the Raiders took Amari Cooper.

We traded up for Tavon. We reach for other picks... :L

I blame consistency and effort on the coach. But the lack of talent on offense - that's on the FO. Some of those scouts need to be shown the door.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams are experts at getting 9 yards in 3 plays and punting.

Boy... you sure got that right!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are ever going to get adequate production out of Austin, he needs to be on the field. Otherwise, it is a wasted move up to get a player that you won't fully utilize because you have ground/pound on the brain. Once the O-Line stabilizes and gels, they need to get away from the 2 TE sets and go 3 wide with Austin in the slot. Put some pressure on the opposing defense.

Of course, it would help if the Rams would get a true #1 WR on the roster. Britt is a 50/50 proposition at best, and who knows what is going on with Quick at this point.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Gurley's preseason yall so IMO he needs a few more games to get into more of a rhythm. As far as the Oline and the talent at WR??? Tavon is NOT on the field every play.

That's pathetic when you trade up to get a guy at #5 overall. It's funny as hell when you see teams like ATL do it for a guy like Julio Jones or like nobody did last year when the Raiders took Amari Cooper.

We traded up for Tavon. We reach for other picks... :L

I blame consistency and effort on the coach. But the lack of talent on offense - that's on the FO. Some of those scouts need to be shown the door.

I think you mean 8th overall with Tavon, not fifth...:suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that mean to you? Over his career its been a great pass rush and running the football. Lots of 7-9 win teams and an occasional win streak with good QB play.

The Rams have a great pass rush. A+

But the Rams aren't playing Jeff Fisher football. They've had the worst offensive line play and the worst Tight End play in football the past two weeks.

They abandoned the run against Washington. Thats one issue. The issue against Pittsburgh is worse, though. They ran a decent amount and had lots of negative plays, no big plays with the run and no time of possession dominance. Thats not what 'Jeff Fisher' football is supposed to look like or traditional football or whatever you want to call it.

You also run the football so you won't have as many penalties. It should be easier to run block than pass block as a general rule of thumb. Offensive linemen like going forwards. Thats obviously not working.

Rams offense was basically: 1st down get stuffed. 2nd and long get 2-3 yards. 3rd down complete a pass right before the first down marker. 4th down punt. The point of running on first and second down is to make 3rd down easy.

The Rams are 32nd in first downs with less than half as many First Downs as New England in the same number of games. They are 29th in 3rd down Percentage and 0-3 on 4th down which qualifies them for last in that regard. The Rams are 31st in Time of Possession.

The point of running the ball is to make 3rd down easier and to control the ball.

The Rams are also 32nd in Yards Gained but they are averaging 3.8 yards a rush attempt which isnt super terrible and they are 15th in yards per pass attempt.

This pretty much has to turn around. The Rams are experts at getting 9 yards in 3 plays and punting. They get an extra yard here and an extra yard there and then maybe we can talk about Jeff Fisher Football. Right now, they are just taking what the defense gives them and getting nothing more.

What the team needs is leadership

I think building a consistent winner takes time and it might not seem like the momentum is constantly going in the desired direction.

From where I sit the Rams are on the right track...the front 7 of the DEF is probably top 5 in the league...back end doesn't quite match that level, but sufficient to beat any team. The OFC...took a big turn towards an identity by drafting Gurley...once he gets enough snaps under his belt, I think you'll see the OL improve...then Foles will be able to flourish from a balanced attack.

As a complete unit...I would expect more from the OFC as the season gets into week 10 or 11, and definitely next season barring no more wholesale changes to personnel.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they really wanted to pound and ground as Fisher has stated, why didn't they go after a bigger guy than Gurley. Gurley is fine but they could have opted to also find a guy like Mike Alstot. Then they could load up the backfield in the I and run it down people's throats.

Here is the chance for the Rams to get a couple of players they should have drafted instead of the dopes they did draft. There is a fire sale going on Chicago. Jon Bostic was just traded to the Patriots for a sixth rounder I believe. Alshon Jeffrey has been mentioned as the next to go.

The Rams should put together a package to trade for Jeffrey and Kyle Long. Say a Quick, Trey Watts, Case Keenum, Isaiah Battle, and a fifth rounder (I think we still have one) for the two aforementioned players.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think building a consistent winner takes time and it might not seem like the momentum is constantly going in the desired direction.

From where I sit the Rams are on the right track...the front 7 of the DEF is probably top 5 in the league...back end doesn't quite match that level, but sufficient to beat any team. The OFC...took a big turn towards an identity by drafting Gurley...once he gets enough snaps under his belt, I think you'll see the OL improve...then Foles will be able to flourish from a balanced attack.

As a complete unit...I would expect more from the OFC as the season gets into week 10 or 11, and definitely next season barring no more wholesale changes to personnel.
It doesn't take this much time. Spagnuolo had a rebuild attempt then Fisher came in with a rebuild attempt. Rebuilding the oline this late in the process is neglect and there really isnt any excuse for it happening this late in the cycle. The Rams really didn't spend any of their abundant resources on oline. Fisher did draft Pead in rd2, Stacy in rd5, Richardson in rd7, Mason in rd3 before drafting Gurley in rd1. Meanwhile the Rams have Robinson in rd1 who is super young, Saffold from the previous regime, Barnes who is UDFA and two rookies.

People just assume that the Rams will keep taking time. If this team actually was in LA, Fisher would've been fired last year because people would've actually been putting heat on his dumb moves.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Clayton, in light of what a guy like Jack Del Rio is doing in Oakland (Raiders are 2-1 this year) and Whisenhunt with the Titans (Tennessee is 1-2), it doesn't take a decade to turn a franchise around. You are absolutely correct that the excuse everyone gives the Rams is it takes time. Bullshit. JGR and Whisenhunt have demonstrated it takes less than a year if you know what your doing and our O-line has been neglected for 15 years!!

Rambulance

MuscleBear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they really wanted to pound and ground as Fisher has stated, why didn't they go after a bigger guy than Gurley. Gurley is fine but they could have opted to also find a guy like Mike Alstot. Then they could load up the backfield in the I and run it down people's throats.

You realize that Gurley is 6'1" 231lbs, right? I think his smallish shoulder pads appear to make him look slight, but take a look at the tree trunk legs.

For reference, Steven Jackson was listed at 6'2" 240lbs

gurley-todd-111314-getty-ftr_lj7v0rhgfl4w1dszg1d4ecqmd.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't take this much time. Spagnuolo had a rebuild attempt then Fisher came in with a rebuild attempt. Rebuilding the oline this late in the process is neglect and there really isnt any excuse for it happening this late in the cycle. The Rams really didn't spend any of their abundant resources on oline. Fisher did draft Pead in rd2, Stacy in rd5, Richardson in rd7, Mason in rd3 before drafting Gurley in rd1. Meanwhile the Rams have Robinson in rd1 who is super young, Saffold from the previous regime, Barnes who is UDFA and two rookies.

People just assume that the Rams will keep taking time. If this team actually was in LA, Fisher would've been fired last year because people would've actually been putting heat on his dumb moves.

If you misfire on some picks it does. I'm not the biggest Fisher guy either, but how long has he been there? 3 years and 3 games removed from a 2 win franchise...most of that time his QB1 has not played.

The DEF is clearly playoff ready, and if he did not have to start over at QB...maybe we're already talking about a playoff caliber team.

ATL came back from the ashes twice fairly quickly...but they had an established QB (with weapons) and only needed to shore up (not overhaul) the DEF.

I think you have to let this season play out with Foles, then assess Fisher...but I agree and just having watched it up close...there is more than 7 win talent in STL right now.