• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jed York better have a ace up his sleeve if he lets Harbaugh go

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Players do it all the time. Its ok for them to do it but not coaches. The guy earned a raise.

there is no issue with Harbaugh earning a raise, don't think ANYONE disagrees?

I'm ok with Harbaugh seeking a raise, yes, others do it too in ALL types of employment. but the first issue is HOW do you go about it? don't like the way Harbaugh did it, stirring up chit by encouraging Cleveland. the second item is what happens if you don't obtain a raise? then Harbaugh should just go back to work, honor his contract.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no issue with Harbaugh earning a raise, don't think ANYONE disagrees?

I'm ok with Harbaugh seeking a raise, yes, others do it too in ALL types of employment. but the first issue is HOW do you go about it? don't like the way Harbaugh did it, stirring up chit by encouraging Cleveland. the second item is what happens if you don't obtain a raise? then Harbaugh should just go back to work, honor his contract.

we don't know if Harbaugh started crap. Its all hear say. Its not like Harbaugh is sitting out like some(Crabtree).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we don't know if Harbaugh started crap. Its all hear say. Its not like Harbaugh is sitting out like some(Crabtree).

true, its only been 'reported'. I'm thinking of the article which reported that while Cleveland inquired about other Coaches, Harbaugh thru out his name too.

but stop and think about it.........how does Cleveland even get the idea to ask about Harbaugh? someone had to tell them this option was even a possibility. who would tell them?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you read the second paragraph, that's what I said.

its ok to seek a new contract, but if it doesn't get done, then honor the current one.

Yes you did. My apologies.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players do it all the time. Its ok for them to do it but not coaches. The guy earned a raise.

Its not OK for players. Players, like coaches, should honor the contracts they signed or they should be exposed to having their contracts re-negotiated downward if they don't live up to expectations.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Its not OK for players. Players, like coaches, should honor the contracts they signed or they should be exposed to having their contracts re-negotiated downward if they don't live up to expectations.

NFL teams do renegotiate downwards (Colt McCoy) or just flat out release a guy if they no longer want or need him.

If an NFL contract was guaranteed like other sports I would agree but if a team can tear up a contract and release a player when the player doesn't perform or the money is inconvenient I don't have a problem with players holding out or wanting extensions.

If you expect the player to honor a contract you should expect the team as well.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL teams do renegotiate downwards (Colt McCoy) or just flat out release a guy if they no longer want or need him.

If an NFL contract was guaranteed like other sports I would agree but if a team can tear up a contract and release a player when the player doesn't perform or the money is inconvenient I don't have a problem with players holding out or wanting extensions.

If you expect the player to honor a contract you should expect the team as well.

This is something NinerSickness (I think, possibly iMac) said a year or two ago: teams do honor their contracts, it's just that the contract allows them to cut the player. They have the leverage. He would be crazy if players and teams could just say, "I'm done, I'm going to go over there now."

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trent Baalke vs Scot McCloughan: Who really built the 49ers? - ************.com

not surprising its weighted for Baalke, two years later is a big difference. that said, IMO Baalke has been doing a good job. yes, the 2012 draft was poor, but all things considered with the draft AND free agency, good job.

we're not in cap purgatory either, so most things have to be going right.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They do get re negotiated downward. Perfect example Dahl and Baldwin. Thanks for making my point again.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent Baalke vs Scot McCloughan: Who really built the 49ers? - ************.com

not surprising its weighted for Baalke, two years later is a big difference. that said, IMO Baalke has been doing a good job. yes, the 2012 draft was poor, but all things considered with the draft AND free agency, good job.

we're not in cap purgatory either, so most things have to be going right.

Baalke has done an awesome job. I just wish he can get on the same page with Harbaugh. We have something special here. Don't screw it up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are right. Its the other sports with the guaranteed contracts that I'm talking about. But I do think that some portions of an NFL contract are guaranteed, are they not?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do get re negotiated downward. Perfect example Dahl and Baldwin. Thanks for making my point again.

Any time. You generally need all the help you can get.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You are right. Its the other sports with the guaranteed contracts that I'm talking about. But I do think that some portions of an NFL contract are guaranteed, are they not?

Depends on the contract but have some guaranteed money which is why the years and total amount of an NFL contract is just fluff.

Most contracts are backloaded in the later years to jack up the guaranteed money since that's all the player truly cares about and both parties know full well they'll never see the end of it before the player is either cut or the contract is reworked.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is something NinerSickness (I think, possibly iMac) said a year or two ago: teams do honor their contracts, it's just that the contract allows them to cut the player. They have the leverage. He would be crazy if players and teams could just say, "I'm done, I'm going to go over there now."

I don't disagree with it from that angle but I should phrase it that I don't blame the players for asking for a raise when they out perform their contract since NFL teams have the power to terminate the contract or ask for alterations when they under perform.

I don't think the economics of the NFL should change because it works and works well and part of the reason the NFL is king is because the economics create a relatively level playing field.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with it from that angle but I should phrase it that I don't blame the players for asking for a raise when they out perform their contract since NFL teams have the power to terminate the contract or ask for alterations when they under perform.

I don't think the economics of the NFL should change because it works and works well and part of the reason the NFL is king is because the economics create a relatively level playing field.

Agree. :suds:

But I do hate when players get a bunch of money the first two years and then when they get to the lean years, as structured, say, "hey! Where's my money!! I'm worth more than this!!!" and out of the loop fans, say, "yeah, he's worth more than 1.5 Million dollars" when the overall contract is around 5-8 M per year. :wtf2::L