• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

jay cutler signs 7 year deal with the bears

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not knocking Jay, just saying it was a bad deal for your team....That much cap tied up in a player that can't play a full season and is getting old now is not very prudent in my opinion.....But you know stats don't mean nothing if you ain't winning something...

He's the same age as Rodgers. They're both only 30... although Cutler seems older for some reason. The Bears were in a tough spot. They couldn't really lose him but I think they overpaid. I don't like paying Rodgers $20 million, and I'd feel worse about paying Cutler $18 million.

winter32842

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal. Jay will shine in this offense. Its a 3 year 54 mil deal in reality. You haters have a better option. Do share.

What about signing that backup QB, Josh Mccown, a deal and spending the rest of the money on defense. Macon was statistically better than Cutler.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 playoff appearance in 5 years with the Bears and only played 16 games once in the past 5 years.

8 years in the NFL and 1 playoff win.

He's not a bad QB, but worthy of a 7 year deal? Not at all.

You can't judge a QB on playoffs when he just doesn't have the team to get him there but this is the NFL. He'll be guaranteed some money and probably won't get anywhere near the full amount of the contract. I think he's a solid enough QB but what exactly are Chicago's options? Hope Mark Sanchez becomes available? There are only so many NFL caliber QB's.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about signing that backup QB, Josh Mccown, a deal and spending the rest of the money on defense. Macon was statistically better than Cutler.

:lol:

He's a 34-year old journey man backup who got lucky for a stretch.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a team game not just the QB. The Seahawks defense vs the Bears defense boy I wonder.

The Bears receivers vs the Seahawks receivers,,,,boy I wonder.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay's a pimp, good signing.

tumblr_mqij99KQJZ1rge9rdo1_500.gif

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over 7 years, not a lot to laugh about in today's NFL market.

:wtf2:

If it goes all 7 years then he's going to get paid a lot more than 50 million. 50 million guaranteed for him is pretty steep.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad. I think Trestman is brilliant and the Bears could have found a diamond in the rough and make him look better than he is. Jay's mistake-prone jackass will continue to hinder the team's potential.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just sign mccown and draft mettenberger in the 2nd round? Save a boat load of cash to throw at the D and still have the qb situation solid..

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is only a 3 year guaranteed deal with year to year options there after. For the Bears, this is a good contract that only guarantees 3 years & if he doesn't elevate his play during those 3 seasons, they can just release him after the third year. For Cutler, he took a little less money than if had been franchised 3x for injury security & the belief that his play will result in those options being picked up.

A good deal for both sides.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is only a 3 year guaranteed deal with year to year options there after. For the Bears, this is a good contract that only guarantees 3 years & if he doesn't elevate his play during those 3 seasons, they can just release him after the third year. For Cutler, he took a little less money than if had been franchised 3x for injury security & the belief that his play will result in those options being picked up.

A good deal for both sides.

If its only about guaranteed money which I hear all the time cutler's 50 mil is only 4 less than a rods..

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If its only about guaranteed money which I hear all the time cutler's 50 mil is only 4 less than a rods..

The contracts are structured way differently. Cutler got no signing bonus & all his guaranteed money will be off the books after those 3 seasons. Where as Rodgers got $35 mil upfront & that will hit the books over 5 seasons. If Rodgers was to get released after 3rd year of that contract, the Packers would still be on the hook for a $14 mil cap hit. GB has the far better QB & Chi has the better QB contract in terms if either were to be released after the 3rd year.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not just sign mccown and draft mettenberger in the 2nd round? Save a boat load of cash to throw at the D and still have the qb situation solid..

What part of that sounds like a solid QB situation?

McCown had a solid enough stretch despite playing defensive juggernauts like Dallas but he's still a 34 year old journeyman backup that. Have you actually looked at his stats outside of this one stretch of games against some of the worst defenses in football history?

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contracts are structured way differently. Cutler got no signing bonus & all his guaranteed money will be off the books after those 3 seasons. Where as Rodgers got $35 mil upfront & that will hit the books over 5 seasons. If Rodgers was to get released after 3rd year of that contract, the Packers would still be on the hook for a $14 mil cap hit. GB has the far better QB & Chi has the better QB contract in terms if either were to be released after the 3rd year.

And to add on to of that they both are guaranteed $54 mil. The total dollar number difference between both contracts if they were to be played out is only $3.3 mil in Rodgers favor.

That just tells you how bad the lack of good starting QB(s) in the NFL is right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hmm ill take my chances with the worse contract and aaron rodgers personally but that is a clever contract for cutler.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of that sounds like a solid QB situation?

McCown had a solid enough stretch despite playing defensive juggernauts like Dallas but he's still a 34 year old journeyman backup that. Have you actually looked at his stats outside of this one stretch of games against some of the worst defenses in football history?

A guy who outplayed cutler in the same offense and a promising young talent to be groomed by a great qb instructor, just my opinion bro.