• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jap car sales dying

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chevy is coming out with a Cruze diesel this Summer. Starting at $28k, get some.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lotta nails in the Japs auto coffin. Their currency is overpriced too and some other economic problems.

But I'll tell ya where the real problem is for US but particularly Japan: no common rail diesel.

Somehow, carmakers have managed to keep the public clueless about the complete superiority of new diesels to gas. Can you imagine people buying a fucking Prius for 40k, some of which is our taxes, when they could pay $30k for a Jetta diesel that gets 50mpg and will last for at least a couple hundred thousand miles reliably?? Ridiculous.

Jeep's new diesel is coming from Italy like in the old Liberty. VW TDIs and even the awesome motor in Euro Jaguars are letting their mfg. run away with it. One day, Americans will wake up and all want CRDs in some new fad and they'll all come from Europe. 35mpg or 17mpg will similar performance - how is this not happening yet?

Quick Drive: 2012 Jaguar XF 2.2L Diesel | Autosavant

Dodge is coming out with a half ton diesel truck, no word on mileage yet but I have a feeling it's going to turn some heads. When Ford and GM see how successful it is, they will roll out their versions of a diesel Silverado and F-150 as well. Once people see pickup trucks getting 30+MPG, they are going to want diesel cars as well. It's only a matter of time.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Dodge is coming out with a half ton diesel truck, no word on mileage yet but I have a feeling it's going to turn some heads. When Ford and GM see how successful it is, they will roll out their versions of a diesel Silverado and F-150 as well. Once people see pickup trucks getting 30+MPG, they are going to want diesel cars as well. It's only a matter of time.

Don't the new half tons get 24 mpg now?
It all will hinge on what they charge extra for the diesel motor. Currently you will pay about $6000.00 more for the motor than the standard V-8, and about 45 cents more per gallon of fuel. If the benefit is only 5 to 7 more mpg, it will take a lot of fill ups to break even on that initial expense. Not to mention repairs are more expensive with diesel.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't the new half tons get 24 mpg now?
It all will hinge on what they charge extra for the diesel motor. Currently you will pay about $6000.00 more for the motor than the standard V-8, and about 45 cents more per gallon of fuel. If the benefit is only 5 to 7 more mpg, it will take a lot of fill ups to break even on that initial expense. Not to mention repairs are more expensive with diesel.

They do, but only if you get a regular cab, two wheel drive V-6. Imagine getting 30+ MPG and still having four wheel drive and great towing capacity.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I'm all for it, but if they want to sell them they're going to have to be affordable.
Even if they get 10 mpg more, it's still a tough sell to the person getting a 48 month loan.
Of course I'm comparing prices on the diesels they put in 1 ton+ trucks. A half ton could be a much smaller motor, if they could get it down to a $3000. option, they would sell I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator: