• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jap car sales dying

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of most note is Honda - their sales down 43% last month. Brutal! I don't know what anyone sees in 'em anyway.

Japan Auto Sales Fall on Subsidy End as Korea Extends Drop - Bloomberg

The number of vehicles sold in Japan, Asia’s second-largest auto market, fell 9.4 percent to 1.53 million during the quarter, with Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) seeing a 15 percent drop, according to association data released yesterday. In South Korea, the region’s fourth-largest vehicle market, deliveries declined 2.5 percent as Hyundai Motor Co. (005380) saw a 0.7 percent contraction, based on company statements.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My father worked for Honda of America for years and hated every damn minute of it.

The quality gap between American and Japanese autos is gone. Japanese manufacturers had their hay day in the 80's and 90's and now it’s over. Just no reason to pay the extra cash for a Jap built car.

Gungho1.jpg

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quality gap between American and Japanese autos is gone. Japanese manufacturers had their hay day in the 80's and 90's and now it’s over. Just no reason to pay the extra cash for a Jap built car.

Every word is true but the media and public perception is that the same car released by Toyota is cool, hip and trendy but if that same, exact car has a Detroit badge, it's inferior. For instance, Hollywood hipsters and their mindless lemming followers love the Prius and shun the "superior in every way" Ford C-Max Hyrbid.

The numbers all come in favor of the 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid over the Toyota Prius V. It definitely has measurably more power, higher fuel efficiency, more usable technology, more room and at the same time, much cheaper (starting at $25,200)! The only thing is doesn’t have on its side is the brand recognition of the Prius. If the C-Max takes off with buyers, time will take care of that. In every way that counts, the 2013 Ford C-MAX Hybrid bests the Prius in our comparison and we think you’ll agree. Overall value comes down firmly on Ford’s side this time.
More here...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every word is true but the media and public perception is that the same car released by Toyota is cool, hip and trendy but if that same, exact car has a Detroit badge, it's inferior. For instance, Hollywood hipsters and their mindless lemming followers love the Prius and shun the "superior in every way" Ford C-Max Hyrbid.

More here...

Or buy the Mazda 5, has a few less bells and whistles than the C-Max, and save thousands more

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or buy the Mazda 5, has a few less bells and whistles than the C-Max, and save thousands more

I don't think that even Consumer Reports in all their American-hating bias would encourage a consumer to do that. Personally, I believe that until battery technology is significantly better that hybrids are a fallacy.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I don't think that even Consumer Reports in all their American-hating bias would encourage a consumer to do that. Personally, I believe that until battery technology is significantly better that hybrids are a fallacy.

No doubt about that. But for people with more money than brains, it just doesn't matter, they're saving the planet..:rollseyes:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about that. But for people with more money than brains, it just doesn't matter, they're saving the planet..:rollseyes:

yup...until they ahve to replace the car or those batteries :)

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a nearly 13 year old American car with a V6 that still gets almost 30 MPG on the highway and has required very little maintenance. I don't see what's so great about Japanese rides, or hybrids.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a nearly 13 year old American car with a V6 that still gets almost 30 MPG on the highway and has required very little maintenance. I don't see what's so great about Japanese rides, or hybrids.

I'm the opposite, I have a 14 year old 4runner with 150k on it that has had almost no maintenance (knocking on wood) and is still solid as a rock. Every group has their good and their bad cars. Just depends on what you like and what gets you by.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm the opposite, I have a 14 year old 4runner with 150k on it that has had almost no maintenance (knocking on wood) and is still solid as a rock. Every group has their good and their bad cars. Just depends on what you like and what gets you by.

I'm not saying American is way better than Jap, I'm more pointing out that the quality gap isn't what it once was.

People bitch about the unions ruining GM and the Big Three, but a lot of it was done on the engineering side too.

I have a buddy that works for a large parts supplier to several major automakers. He makes parts for GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Honda, Toyota, etc. When they stamp parts, they are given an allowance ratio on how accurate the parts have to be, and how many parts can have a variance. GM would give their company a 10% variance, meaning as long as 90% of the parts were stamped correctly, or within the parameters, they would accept the shipment.

The Japanese companies would mock the Big Three, and send in their orders in two parts. They gave them NO variance, but would send in an order for 9000 of X parts, and then another order of 1000 "variance" parts.

So yeah, back in the day, it was common knowledge that GM just flat out didn't give a fuck.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got an 18 year old F-150 that is creeping up on 200k. Ford knows how to built them some trucks. I love the damn thing but the cassette player is well...meh!

We really (American companies) are building some fine cars. I don't know if we are in another golden era, but the big 3 have build some nice cars as of late.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seven, count 'em 7 vehicles and they are all American (one Kawasaki motorcycle). But don't get me wrong; I'd as soon buy Jap as buy a new product from Obama/UAW/Government Motors. I will support Ford however.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I'll continue buying Fords just based on my previous experience with them.
Although, the last truck I bought had me considering a change, until Ford came out with the new 6.7 Powerstroke. I've stuck more money into that 6.0 than I'd care to admit.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seven, count 'em 7 vehicles and they are all American (one Kawasaki motorcycle). But don't get me wrong; I'd as soon buy Jap as buy a new product from Obama/UAW/Government Motors. I will support Ford however.

Careful what Jap car you buy, the Japanese government bailed out their auto industry as well.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yup...until they ahve to replace the car or those batteries :)

There's a lotta nails in the Japs auto coffin. Their currency is overpriced too and some other economic problems.

But I'll tell ya where the real problem is for US but particularly Japan: no common rail diesel.

Somehow, carmakers have managed to keep the public clueless about the complete superiority of new diesels to gas. Can you imagine people buying a fucking Prius for 40k, some of which is our taxes, when they could pay $30k for a Jetta diesel that gets 50mpg and will last for at least a couple hundred thousand miles reliably?? Ridiculous.

Jeep's new diesel is coming from Italy like in the old Liberty. VW TDIs and even the awesome motor in Euro Jaguars are letting their mfg. run away with it. One day, Americans will wake up and all want CRDs in some new fad and they'll all come from Europe. 35mpg or 17mpg will similar performance - how is this not happening yet?

Quick Drive: 2012 Jaguar XF 2.2L Diesel | Autosavant

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been into Asian cars, JDM, or their 'luxury' brands.

Acura's and Lexus' are luxury cars for people who don't know much about cars or are not very passionate about driving. (And don't post a picture of an LF-A because I said this.)