• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's good to be a Bengals fan?

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not 2003-05 over again. Yeah, that team was talented (and worth getting excited over IMO) but we all knew that was a finesse team through and through. the D was soft and rarely was able to generate any pressue on the QB. They got pushed around (on D...the O-line was great). Furthermore the vibe with that team was differnet. They seemed so pleased withh themselves at times...kinda too big for their britches when they really hadnt proved anything.

I'd say that tHis team is far more physical than the 03-05. This team seems to have a different and more humble overall mentality. More character I'd say...the young QB's couldnt be more different in their approach and personality. 05 was exciting too, but we really got burned by trying to build with the wrong type of guys. Time will tell, but it seems to me that we got the right kind of guys this time around. Plus, we have I think 7 picks in the first four rounds next year (two in the first) to continue to build with. So yeah, I'm optimistic and agree with Vance...It's a really fun time to be a bengals fan. I mean, honestly, how could you not be excited about this team and the future if you're a Bengals fan?

This....

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not 2003-05 over again. Yeah, that team was talented (and worth getting excited over IMO) but we all knew that was a finesse team through and through. the D was soft and rarely was able to generate any pressue on the QB. They got pushed around (on D...the O-line was great). Furthermore the vibe with that team was differnet. They seemed so pleased withh themselves at times...kinda too big for their britches when they really hadnt proved anything.

I'd say that tHis team is far more physical than the 03-05. This team seems to have a different and more humble overall mentality. More character I'd say...the young QB's couldnt be more different in their approach and personality. 05 was exciting too, but we really got burned by trying to build with the wrong type of guys. Time will tell, but it seems to me that we got the right kind of guys this time around. Plus, we have I think 7 picks in the first four rounds next year (two in the first) to continue to build with. So yeah, I'm optimistic and agree with Vance...It's a really fun time to be a bengals fan. I mean, honestly, how could you not be excited about this team and the future if you're a Bengals fan?

I can't disagree with any of the above.

What I meant by circa 2003-2005 is there was a LOT of reason for excitement, with Carson around with a top 3 offense overall, and Marvin as coach. It turned out to be all for naught. Obviously, circumstances are different now, and probably better, but this is a common theme with the Bengals. So I choose to proceed with very cautious optimism. I've been burned one too many times.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't disagree with any of the above.

What I meant by circa 2003-2005 is there was a LOT of reason for excitement, with Carson around with a top 3 offense overall, and Marvin as coach. It turned out to be all for naught. Obviously, circumstances are different now, and probably better, but this is a common theme with the Bengals. So I choose to proceed with very cautious optimism. I've been burned one too many times.

Shit...I'd say there have been so few times when it has been fun to be a Bengals fan enjoy it while the getting is good. So many years I've just rooted for the Bengals even though I really didnt like the team if that makes sense. Most years it's not fun to be a fan...it's borderline depressing. This year, I like the team. Even if I wasnt a Bengals fan I'd gravitate towards rooting for this team. The D is physical, young and athletic. THey get after it and Dunlap is just a monster...and I think any NFL fan has to like what they see in Dalton and Green on offense (not to mention that we have Gresham...who is a stud and some solid bookend tackles on the O-line). Really good young core in place.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks Servo, you summed up my thoughts exactly.

I mean, I get where Rey is coming from, too. Mike Brown looms over everything like a beady eyed, real life version of Montgomery Burns. But things seem to be moving pretty well and somehow a really good core of young talent (along with th emost critical piece...the QB) have fallen into place. The drafts have gotten better and we have a shit load of picks coming (so many that they should look to parlay some of them to move up in the 2nd and 3rd...they've got more picks than could ever stick)..but if anybody could screw it up it's Mike Brown. That being said I choose to ignore the fact that he's calling the shots and how the organization is run and just focus on the personnel and the play on the field...plus, things might be changing slightly as far as brown goes. He traded Palmer and ceded control to the coaches to draft Dalton (apparently he wanted Mallett)

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, I get where Rey is coming from, too. Mike Brown looms over everything like a beady eyed, real life version of Montgomery Burns. But things seem to be moving pretty well and somehow a really good core of young talent (along with th emost critical piece...the QB) have fallen into place. The drafts have gotten better and we have a shit load of picks coming (so many that they should look to parlay some of them to move up in the 2nd and 3rd...they've got more picks than could ever stick)..but if anybody could screw it up it's Mike Brown. That being said I choose to ignore the fact that he's calling the shots and how the organization is run and just focus on the personnel and the play on the field...plus, things might be changing slightly as far as brown goes. He traded Palmer and ceded control to the coaches to draft Dalton (apparently he wanted Mallett)

_________

Excellent. |
_________
_
jolly-fool.jpg

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After 2005, I was worried how Palmer would respond to the injury. 2009 was great, but our offense was terrible, and we really didn't try to make any additions to better the team and we had a 1st place schedule coming up. This year, I feel more optimistic than either of those years.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After 2005, I was worried how Palmer would respond to the injury. 2009 was great, but our offense was terrible, and we really didn't try to make any additions to better the team and we had a 1st place schedule coming up. This year, I feel more optimistic than either of those years.

Things seemed to go downhill pretty quickly with the 05 team. Palmeer and the knee...Pollack broke his neck, Odell was a meth head, Chris Henry was a tragic thug, Chad was a loud mouth, unfocused choker, TJ couldnt keep his cool, Willie was old, Levi was broke...everything just seemed to break at once. 2009 I wasnt really buying that squad. I was glad to see they put up a winning record but they overachieved. This year we're young across the board, talented in places that we ahvent been (i.e. the D-line) and have a QB that if there ever was one that could not be bengalized I'd say it's Dalton. he's exactly the leader that this franchise has needed for years at QB. Along with Whit, we have some really good young leaders in place.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Things seemed to go downhill pretty quickly with the 05 team. Palmeer and the knee...Pollack broke his neck, Odell was a meth head, Chris Henry was a tragic thug, Chad was a loud mouth, unfocused choker, TJ couldnt keep his cool, Willie was old, Levi was broke...everything just seemed to break at once. 2009 I wasnt really buying that squad. I was glad to see they put up a winning record but they overachieved. This year we're young across the board, talented in places that we ahvent been (i.e. the D-line) and have a QB that if there ever was one that could not be bengalized I'd say it's Dalton. he's exactly the leader that this franchise has needed for years at QB. Along with Whit, we have some really good young leaders in place.

Bingo again.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Servo, you're on fire....if I could I would rep you multiple times for your comments in this thread....

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a cereal repist......doing oatmeal right now.....

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I got some Christmas Captain Crunch about to get it here.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rep'd for the bolded. That was an awesome comparison.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the real test of time with this team will be when this promising, developing young talent wants to get paid for their production come contract renewal time. THAT is where the MB (Brown/Burns) loom could come into play.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the real test of time with this team will be when this promising, developing young talent wants to get paid for their production come contract renewal time. THAT is where the MB (Brown/Burns) loom could come into play.

Great point. Dalton, Green, Dunlap, Atkins will all be in for a contract around the same time. If we draft an early round RB and he produces right away (should be the starter from the get go), within a year of the other guys, he'll be up for one as well.

Repped!

Gypsumstack

Hoopla Cash
$ 945.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time all these young guys come up for a new contract, Brown will have to spend up to 99% of the cap, so he will have to pay them.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great point. Dalton, Green, Dunlap, Atkins will all be in for a contract around the same time. If we draft an early round RB and he produces right away (should be the starter from the get go), within a year of the other guys, he'll be up for one as well.

Repped!

again though, this is what you call one of those 'good problems' Plus, the new CBA at some point will basically force MB to spend some dough and Brown has always emphasized trying to retain 'his guys'