• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It appears... Cutler in, Briggs out

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Cutler likely Chicago Bears' starting QB vs. Browns - NFL.com

Cutler has been cleared to practice at full speed and will participate Wednesday. If his ankle passes a "thorough" test in the workout, he will get the green light.

Lance Briggs not yet cleared for Chicago Bears return - NFL.com

Briggs said he'll have another evaluation in a "couple days" and wouldn't rule himself for Sunday against the Cleveland Browns. However, it doesn't sound optimistic that he will play in his first game since Week 7.

Even as a guy who is excited to see Cutler back. I have to say, this team needs Briggs back far more at the moment.

We better hope and pray he's back for the Philly game. Or else, McCoy may shatter the single game rushing record. No one is more dangerous than McCoy when he gets into the second level. This defense allows RB's into the second level on nearly every other run play. Could be a disaster.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gotta score often and early to make them abandon the run somewhat (Philly). Or just score on every possession. Either way. I would like McCown to start this week myself. Hes a mudder. lol. Let Jay heal one more week. Should have both back for the Philly game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy for me to say this because I am not a Bears fan but why not stick with the hot hand?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy for me to say this because I am not a Bears fan but why not stick with the hot hand?

Because he really doesn't have a hot hand.

He lost his previous two starts to St. Louis (42-21) and Minnesota (23-20). He looked rather pedestrian down the stretch in both games. Then, he had one great game versus LITERALLY the worst defense in NFL history, and now all of the sudden he's the "hot hand".

Those receivers were so damn open on Monday Night...

Jay was playing probably the best football of his career, and REALLY beginning to look good in the Trestman offense. The stats are also very misleading. Josh played four of his six games against WSH, GB, MIN, and DAL. Four of the worst defenses in the NFL. Then played two rather mediocre teams in BAL and STL. Jay faced CIN, NO, PIT, DET twice (once playing very injured), and then MIN and NYG. A far more tasking schedule as a QB.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gotta score often and early to make them abandon the run somewhat (Philly). Or just score on every possession. Either way. I would like McCown to start this week myself. Hes a mudder. lol. Let Jay heal one more week. Should have both back for the Philly game.

They already pushed back Jay's return a week to "let him heal". He practiced last week leading up to Dallas.

He's healed, and he's cleared. If he can make all of the throws and run the entire offense. That means he doesn't have anymore healing to do. Game time.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he really doesn't have a hot hand.

He lost his previous two starts to St. Louis (42-21) and Minnesota (23-20). He looked rather pedestrian down the stretch in both games. Then, he had one great game versus LITERALLY the worst defense in NFL history, and now all of the sudden he's the "hot hand".

Those receivers were so damn open on Monday Night...

Jay was playing probably the best football of his career, and REALLY beginning to look good in the Trestman offense. The stats are also very misleading. Josh played four of his six games against WSH, GB, MIN, and DAL. Four of the worst defenses in the NFL. Then played two rather mediocre teams in BAL and STL. Jay faced CIN, NO, PIT, DET twice (once playing very injured), and then MIN and NYG. A far more tasking schedule as a QB.

Yea I guess that explains it! I haven't watched enough Bears games to really know. Hopefully Cutler wont have too much rust if he does play this week. Defense really needs to tighten up or it wont matter who is at QB but you don't need me to tell you that.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richig, I think you had a few overstatements.

McCoy is not the most dangerous rb in the 2nd level, it is Peterson. AP can't be tackled in 2nd gear.

Dallas has a really bad defense but it is not close to worst of all time. They are giving up 426.8 yards a game (last) and 26.8 points a game (26th). New Orleans last year alone gave up over 440 yards a game and over 28 points a game. The year the Lions went 0-16 they gave up almost 35 points a game!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I guess that explains it! I haven't watched enough Bears games to really know. Hopefully Cutler wont have too much rust if he does play this week. Defense really needs to tighten up or it wont matter who is at QB but you don't need me to tell you that.

Yeah, I'm not taking anything away from McCown. And obviously, yes, the D tightening up is far more important at the moment.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCoy is not the most dangerous rb in the 2nd level, it is Peterson. AP can't be tackled in 2nd gear.

I highly disagree. I've seen AP get tackled around the ankles so many times. He doesn't have the burst McCoy does. AP may break off more 20-30 yard runs throughout the course of the season, but McCoy is the best home run hitter in the NFL right now. IMO

Funny thing about McCoy that I noticed is that his running style really reminds me of Gale Sayers. Dangerous with all of those cuts back across the field, but so dangerous.

Dallas has a really bad defense but it is not close to worst of all time. They are giving up 426.8 yards a game (last) and 26.8 points a game (26th). New Orleans last year alone gave up over 440 yards a game and over 28 points a game. The year the Lions went 0-16 they gave up almost 35 points a game!

I also don't think that was an overstatement. Go to any Dallas Cowboys forum right now. I was reading Cowboys Fan Zone forum last night, and they were going over a running list of records the defense is going to break.

Most 400 yard passers against all time

less than 1,500 yards from giving up the most yards all time.

on pace to give up the most first downs of all time.

on pace to give up the most passing first downs of all time.

on pace to give up the most passing yards of all time (need to avg. 303 yards per game to break it).

Forced 0 punts in 2 games in one season... first time ever.

Definitely a case can be made that they're the worst defense of all-time. Just one or two of those records gives them a good case.

What makes them worse than the 08 Lions is that the Lions also had the worst offense in football, and the defense spent the whole game on the field. The Cowboys offense is good...

Last edited by a moderator:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of thoughts, 1. Jay has a bad day, there will be a bunch of folk calling for McCown, sad but true. 2. If the Bears have any chance of going anywhere, they need Jay back. He's a much better come from behind QB than McCown, who may be the better game manager at the moment. And, 3. yes we need Briggs back in the worst way, and also Ratliff need his legs back under him, his explosion seemed to be lacking from his youth and pre injury.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Couple of thoughts, 1. Jay has a bad day, there will be a bunch of folk calling for McCown, sad but true.

If anything, this is an understatement! Cutler has a bad game back, it's going to be full court national press.

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, this is an understatement! Cutler has a bad game back, it's going to be full court national press.

If cutler has a bad game and the bears lose their season is most likely lost anyway. National pressure wouldn't matter at that point.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If cutler has a bad game and the bears lose their season is most likely lost anyway. National pressure wouldn't matter at that point.

It would still be a shit show heading into the off-season and possible contract negotiations.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt matter if jay starts, what matters is if he starts limping around will he get pulled this time.

Cleveland had 16 players with at least one sack, average over 3 a game.

C

cubzzzfanincali

actually, a case can be made that the best thing that could happen to the Bears for the long term would be for Cutler to have a bad next three games. It might save the Bears a pile of money.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually, a case can be made that the best thing that could happen to the Bears for the long term would be for Cutler to have a bad next three games. It might save the Bears a pile of money.

no I believe the best thing would be he plays lights out and signs for a reasonable price.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

3 bad games . Would probably cost the Bears Jay. Being a FA . Many teams are looking at him as their savior.
Not only can we lose Jay. But McCown has to be deemed a FA before we can negotiate W/ him. We can lose both QBs to FA.
Emerey said he didn't want to use the franchise tag, but I think he'll be forced to.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 bad games . Would probably cost the Bears Jay. Being a FA . Many teams are looking at him as their savior.
Not only can we lose Jay. But McCown has to be deemed a FA before we can negotiate W/ him. We can lose both QBs to FA.
Emerey said he didn't want to use the franchise tag, but I think he'll be forced to.

Yep...both will be FA's...The brass is going to have to move fast once the season ends. This could potentially be very bad.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my opinion, but I don't understand this logic where people somehow feel that you're going to land a franchise QB without paying "franchise QB" money.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but I don't understand this logic where people somehow feel that you're going to land a franchise QB without paying "franchise QB" money.
I agree we don't need to save a pile of money, we need solid QB play. examples of drafted QBs. Grossman, C McCoy, Sam Bradford, EJ Emanual, C Ponder, Vince Young, J Russell , Matt Leinert. Just to name a few QBs that were supposed to save the team. we know what Cutler can do, we know what he can't do. I think in this new system with the better Oline he will get better. But we need J McCown too.