• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this the end of the Paul Johnson/triple option era at Georgia Tech?

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was worth a try. We had stalled at 7-6 every year or close to it and were making a bowl game by the skin of our teeth. And we watched Chan have a starting QB for 4 years that was worse his senior year than his freshman. Enough was enough.

So here is PJ interviewing for the job and alot of people thought it was either a good fit, or at least worth a try. Initial success was a result of Chan's recruits, and it didn't hurt to have a beast mode QB Pro Style that could fall forward for 3 more yards when he was tackled. Plus the shock value of the offense initially amongst our other ACC foes couldn't be understated. They weren't used to defending it yet and that went a long way too.

But overall, the problem is not the offense itself, so much as it is the bad Defense and the atrocious Special Teams play in combination with some really questionable coaching. Last week we saw us try a fake punt deep in our own territory with no real reason to do so. Why? That is a coaching mistake. And he does these things alot. I am not saying that we wouldn't be better off with a different offense, particularly since it seems like PJ can't recruit any talent to run it, I am just pointing out that we usually score our points and we have to expect our Defense and Special Teams to step up once or twice a year.

We have had a bad Defense since Tenuta left - we have lost alot of games where our Offense scored plenty of points. And the Special Teams - dear GOD! Now that Harrison Butker has left and is kicking on Sundays for the Chiefs (he may have been the only kicker PJ used a scholarship on), we have nothing. My high school team has a better kicker than we have historically had under PJ, notwithstanding Butker. Seriously, we let South Florida run two back to back kickoff returns for touchdowns. Why we kicking to that guy?

If the D and ST had improved by even a marginal percent over the past couple of years, we are not even be discussing this. PJ can't recruit, plain and simple. And it has shown. Someone on the GT boards ran the numbers and showed that we are outsized on the line of scrimmage by an average of 30 lbs - ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. Can't win consistently like that.

It occurs to me that I think this whole thing would have worked WAY BETTER if PJ was an Offensive Head Coach instead of THE Head Coach. That would have freed up the Defense under someone with equal pull under a HC who may have also seen the wisdom of actually hiring a ST coach instead of the "Special Teams coaching by committee" we have received under PJ (another reason for the shitty ST play).

Georgia is a talent rich state. The recruits are there. Yes academics is a problem, but not so much that we shouldn't be competing for the Coastal year in and year out, with at least a consistently good game. It all goes back to marketing Atlanta, a STEM degree, a P5 conference, being close to home. Paul Johnson has failed miserably selling this school to recruits. if it is his offense that the kids don't like (I think it is) then change it enough to bring in the talent to put a winning team on the field. That's his job, right?

I am ready for him to go. I thought it worth a try, and now that I have seen where we are headed, I think it is time to move on, take the next few years as definitely shitty seasons, and get back to a system that works. We have to do that eventually anyway, right? Why not sooner than later? Yes, the buyout I think is $4 Million but if we keep losing like this, he will not last out to 2022, the fanbase is discouraged and ready for a change.

I want him gone by end of year. I'll take the lumps for a few years to get back on track. Lane Kiffin? Fuck it, hire him. At least we'll get national exposure and I 'm betting the recruiting would get a bounce.