• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this a non story?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You go to a game and you see a team honoring 'Hometown Heroes,' and you think it's some sort of public service announcement, that the team is doing it out of the goodness of their heart," Senator Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said to ESPN on Monday. "Then you find out it's paid for? That seems a little unseemly."

Senator Jeff Flake criticizes National Guard sponsorship deal with NFL teams

I am a Navy veteran and a 28 year STH of the Seahawks. It seems to me at every home game during a commercial break, there is a moment set aside when a family who has a service member overseas is parked in the North endzone and their family member is brought up on the Jumbotron in real time. The Jumbotron screen is split showing the family on one half and their overseas loved on the other half. To see the family's faces light up with pride when it happens is a special moment. The service person then identifies himself/herself, which department or brigade or squadron ect they are attached to, and then give a quick shout out to their family and a Go Seahawks at the end. Lots of waves and blown kisses by the family and service person in that quick 15 second or so time span. A couple of times a year the PA announcer asks all present and former military personnel to stand and be acknowledged. We get a real nice ovation and lots of thanks from those in attendance. It is another prideful moment.

So I read the above referenced article. As I was reading it, I became hopeful that the team I root for was not part of a marketing ploy, getting paid for a patriotic gesture. If that was the case, I would not be in agreement with these events that I have appreciated previously. I was very happy to see that the Seahawks were not one of the teams getting paid for this.

So, I am biased because I am a veteran. My question, do you folks think the payment for marketing our military recruitment via NFL teams is a proper thing to do?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"You go to a game and you see a team honoring 'Hometown Heroes,' and you think it's some sort of public service announcement, that the team is doing it out of the goodness of their heart," Senator Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., said to ESPN on Monday. "Then you find out it's paid for? That seems a little unseemly."

Senator Jeff Flake criticizes National Guard sponsorship deal with NFL teams

I am a Navy veteran and a 28 year STH of the Seahawks. It seems to me at every home game during a commercial break, there is a moment set aside when a family who has a service member overseas is parked in the North endzone and their family member is brought up on the Jumbotron in real time. The Jumbotron screen is split showing the family on one half and their overseas loved on the other half. To see the family's faces light up with pride when it happens is a special moment. The service person then identifies himself/herself, which department or brigade or squadron ect they are attached to, and then give a quick shout out to their family and a Go Seahawks at the end. Lots of waves and blown kisses by the family and service person in that quick 15 second or so time span. A couple of times a year the PA announcer asks all present and former military personnel to stand and be acknowledged. We get a real nice ovation and lots of thanks from those in attendance. It is another prideful moment.

So I read the above referenced article. As I was reading it, I became hopeful that the team I root for was not part of a marketing ploy, getting paid for a patriotic gesture. If that was the case, I would not be in agreement with these events that I have appreciated previously. I was very happy to see that the Seahawks were not one of the teams getting paid for this.

So, I am biased because I am a veteran. My question, do you folks think the payment for marketing our military recruitment via NFL teams is a proper thing to do?

Whether they are paid or not who cares? It's still a nice moment for the families and the service member. Actually if the service member and families get a little money then that's a nice bonus for them too. I always enjoy seeing current and former armed forces members being recognized for their service.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retired AF here. We all know the military pays for TV Comercials, and isn't this kind of b the same thing? Yes it would be nice if the NFL did this just to support the troops but it is what it is.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the story needs to be fleshed out a little better. From what I understand is that the DoD is spending money with NFL teams. I don't think there is any definitive link between those payments and the NFL honoring the vets.

The DoD will spend money to encourage recruitment and what better way to get young men to sign up then having signs plastered at NFL events?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First reaction was kind of a dirty feeling.

But after thinking about it, it's like someone above mentioned: it's like a commercial. It's possible, that the teams that did it actually helped out the Guard.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little more investigation is needed.

The writer is basically saying 1 + 1 = 3

The DoD advertises regularly with the NFL & other sports leagues. The writer claims that because the NFL takes money for advertising from the DoD, that the honoring or any appreciation shown to military personnel, is then there paid for.

As I said in the other thread on this subject, I am happy the the Cardinals are not one of the 14 teams linked to this story.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose this just struck me wrong.
I get it that our armed forces advertise for recruiting purposes and I am sure each branch has a large budget for this. I have no issues at all with advertising joining the service. I also think that the NFL teams should be in great shape financially and it is just my opinion that they should not collect revenue from it.
I always thought it was done as a patriotic endeavor.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose this just struck me wrong.
I get it that our armed forces advertise for recruiting purposes and I am sure each branch has a large budget for this. I have no issues at all with advertising joining the service. I also think that the NFL teams should be in great shape financially and it is just my opinion that they should not collect revenue from it.
I always thought it was done as a patriotic endeavor.

At first glance, I think it rubs most people wrong. If the Cardinals were linked to this story, considering our ties with Pat Tillman, I would be disappointed. But after looking into it, I don't see much to the story right now. Advertising cost money. Running commercials & banners every game, cost money.

I think you can seperate the paid advertising from the ceremonies teams hold to honor veterans & their families. I don't see any connection between the two.