• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there any reason to have a backup C in fantasy leagues?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious.

I used to opt for one but this year I don't have any

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, unless you are in a 2 catcher league... One catcher league there is absolutely no reason to have 2 catchers...

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are certain instances where it be a decent idea. .A daily lineup league where toy have the time to devote to making sure you have an active catcher every day would be one. You'd get a lot more games played out of the positron that way. But even than you'd want a guy who isn't necessarily a catcher, but rather catcher eligible. Which is a fairly rare find.

But in general no, there's no reason.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in a few daily yahoo leagues which is why I used to have 2 catchers but this year I decided to not go with one this year

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in daily leagues with deep benches. Even a 2 catcher league with a shallow bench, you are best served using the roster spot in other ways.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in daily leagues with deep benches. Even a 2 catcher league with a shallow bench, you are best served using the roster spot in other ways.

There is a cavaet here. In the league I run on Yahoo, there is a max games played for all roster spots. And, most catchers don't come close to playing in 162 games. As such, it is not a bad idea to have a 2nd catcher for at least part of a year, likely towards the end. I am not saying that catchers will give you the same Roto numbers as other roster spots. I am saying thought that it is always a good idea to use up all of your games played at a position, and, with this, there is always room for a 2nd catcher.

It is for how long that is the greater question though.

I am doing 2 C's in just one league myself. That said, not everyone can have Buster Posey & Willin Rosario, without making any other undo roster sacrafices.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a cavaet here. In the league I run on Yahoo, there is a max games played for all roster spots. And, most catchers don't come close to playing in 162 games. As such, it is not a bad idea to have a 2nd catcher for at least part of a year, likely towards the end. I am not saying that catchers will give you the same Roto numbers as other roster spots. I am saying thought that it is always a good idea to use up all of your games played at a position, and, with this, there is always room for a 2nd catcher.

It is for how long that is the greater question though.

I am doing 2 C's in just one league myself. That said, not everyone can have Buster Posey & Willin Rosario, without making any other undo roster sacrafices.

I agree that it is nice to have an extra catcher in those leagues D, but you probably need 6+ bench spots to make that viable. In my daily roto league we only have 4 (which I hate).

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is nice to have an extra catcher in those leagues D, but you probably need 6+ bench spots to make that viable. In my daily roto league we only have 4 (which I hate).

Did you see my 2 catchers? IMO, they will perform just as well as an above avg corner IF or OF guy would. As such, I see no net loss for me.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see my 2 catchers? IMO, they will perform just as well as an above avg corner IF or OF guy would. As such, I see no net loss for me.

But you also spent two high picks on 1 position, and Posey was not even a top 20 1B last season. That is a terrible way to spend a third/fourth round pick if you are playing him anywhere but C.

Would you draft Brandon Belt in the third round? That is essentially what you did aside from the few days where Rosario sits and you can slot Posey in. Good luck to you if you want to pay that price, but I am looking to fill other more pressing needs if I spend an early pick on a catcher. I will gladly take my 140 games with whatever C I draft late, or maybe I splurge on a Santana type if I can get the right value, but he could play 160 games this year.

I think it is fine to pay for an elite catcher, but not a good idea to do it twice in 1 catcher leagues.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 catcher approach

1 .... example draft S Perez and last pick his back up....you always have a starting catcher

2 .... example draft S Perez and some potential new guy who will start...Pinto, Gomes, Vogt, et

never take 2 elite catchers unless its a league of over 16 to 20 teams, then still generally doesn't pan out.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes lol I learned it the hard way this year. Wilson Ramos is good to miss at least a month every year

Hopefully he does not get kidnapped again when the hand heals.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he does not get kidnapped again when the hand heals.

And someone finds and brings up my 2nd reason for 2 catchers (sometimes. I guess I should mention this is not the norm for me, but I still do it sometimes, when the situation is right and fits ). With the lack of quality catcher depth, I am in a good spot to possibly have the current Ramos overpay for a replacement.