• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the team set now? Is Dipoto finally done?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three areas I am still uncomfortable with:

The bullpen.
I don't like it. Maybe it will work out, but right now I don't like it. The nice thing about bullpens is that there is always a guy or two that comes out of nowhere and knocks your socks off in spring training. So, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Centerfield versus left handed starters: Martin's career OPS against lefties is .573. The current options are Boog Powell and Shawn O'Malley. I'd like to see someone with a proven track record.

First Base versus left handed starters. Adam Lind's career OPS versus lefties is south of .600. The only option is Montero. Montero was a better hitter against lefties earlier in his career, but last year his OPS was .644 and he was actually better against right handed pitching. And then there is his questionable defense.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, this is the way I have the lineups estimated based on the current roster:

Versus right handed pitchers:
LF Aoki
SS Marte
2B Cano
RF Cruz
3B Seagar
1B Lind
DH Smith
C Ianetta/Clevinger
CF Martin

Versus left handed pitchers:
RF Aoki
SS Marte
2B Cano
DH Cruz
3B Seagar
LF Gutierrez
1B Montero
C Ianetta
CF O’Malley

The above lineups account for 14 roster spots. They still need a reserve infielder. If they carry a reserve infielder then they have to go with a six man bullpen instead of a seven man bullpen. I guess more tweaking is needed. They need a supersub – a Mark McLemore type.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team is mostly done but I could see another move being added to help solidify the bullpen. Montero didn't look great against lefties last year, but if his career norms are any indication, he should be a solid option against lefties as his career OPS is .770 against them.

I'd also prefer to see Cruz DHing full time as his defense is putrid and he is an injury prone player. I actually believe that Seth Smith is a far better defensive option than Cruz and would swap those two.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, this is the way I have the lineups estimated based on the current roster:

Versus right handed pitchers:
LF Aoki
SS Marte
2B Cano
RF Cruz
3B Seagar
1B Lind
DH Smith
C Ianetta/Clevinger
CF Martin

Versus left handed pitchers:
RF Aoki
SS Marte
2B Cano
DH Cruz
3B Seagar
LF Gutierrez
1B Montero
C Ianetta
CF O’Malley

The above lineups account for 14 roster spots. They still need a reserve infielder. If they carry a reserve infielder then they have to go with a six man bullpen instead of a seven man bullpen. I guess more tweaking is needed. They need a supersub – a Mark McLemore type.

You sold yourself short. You actually have 13 spots filled with your lineups including a reserve infielder (O'Malley). They will carry 5 SP's and 7 RP's totaling 25 man roster. Nice job and most likely accurate.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C - Ianetta
1B- Lind
2B- Cano
3B- Seager
SS- Marte
LF- Aoki
CF- Martin
RF- Smith
DH- Cruz

Bench- Guti, Montero, Clevenger, O'Malley/Taylor/Sardinas

SP- Felix (201 Innings)
SP- Wiley (193 Innings)
SP- Walker (169 Innings)
SP- Karns (147 Innings)
SP- Paxton (67 Innings)

RP's- Benoit, Furbush, Bass, De Fratus, Zych, Scribner, Nuno

25 Man Roster unless another RP is signed then ? goes.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the pen is pretty under whelming. I know bullpens are hit or miss but what nasty right hander do we have to face guys like Trout, Correa, Altuve, Beltre, etc. in tight spots? Hopefully one or two guys emerge. Also I don't really comfortable handing Benoit the closer spot. He has 50 saves and 31 blown saves in his career. Need some more competition there

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't saying much, but right now on paper that looks like one of the best lineups that the Mariners have had in a decade.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't saying much, but right now on paper that looks like one of the best lineups that the Mariners have had in a decade.

When it starts to look like one of the best lineups in the A.L. West, I will get excited. We still need that #2 SP.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to be pessimistic but what is the direction of the team? Are they playing for now or the future? With the moves it still seems like purgatory where they are at best a second wild card while not getting younger to help the future.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to be pessimistic but what is the direction of the team? Are they playing for now or the future? With the moves it still seems like purgatory where they are at best a second wild card while not getting younger to help the future.

Couldn't agree more. The moves they made where not only for older guys, but for guys on 1 or 2 year deals. They flushed a lot of their system so what do they do when guys like Benoit, Lind, Aoki, and Cishek expire within 2 years? I think Dipoto shot his wad for a 2 year run, but didn't go all in either because he is insane or ownership limited his spending which would be insane.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more. The moves they made where not only for older guys, but for guys on 1 or 2 year deals. They flushed a lot of their system so what do they do when guys like Benoit, Lind, Aoki, and Cishek expire within 2 years? I think Dipoto shot his wad for a 2 year run, but didn't go all in either because he is insane or ownership limited his spending which would be insane.

I think it was ownership giving him a limited budget, we have seen it before and all to familiar with the owners.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was ownership giving him a limited budget, we have seen it before and all to familiar with the owners.

Agreed, but still shameful.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see another SP brought in. I don't think its going to happen though, sadly.

It won't happen. I hold out slightest hope they make a play for the Japanese pitcher since that seems to be the ownership's only concern.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd guess he is somewhere in the middle between trying to build a competitive team now without completely gutting the team of prospects.

He probably recognizes that with Cruz, Cano and Felix at their prime and due to decline soon, it would be stupid to not at least try to win with a team that was a very popular WS pick last offseason.

I always tend to be on the optimistic side of things, but I like what I think this team could do next year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess he is somewhere in the middle between trying to build a competitive team now without completely gutting the team of prospects.

He probably recognizes that with Cruz, Cano and Felix at their prime and due to decline soon, it would be stupid to not at least try to win with a team that was a very popular WS pick last offseason.

I always tend to be on the optimistic side of things, but I like what I think this team could do next year.

Problem is there is no backup plan. No reinforcements coming if/when something goes wrong. Nothing left to trade now or in 2 years when the guys we spent on are free agents. I get that the lineup and defense are better now, but at what price? Is the pitching better? I don't see that and with flyball pitchers, I don't see those great OF defenders going deep into the stands to retrieve those homers. We spent nothing extra to improve a team that needed a lot of improvement. If playing for now, then play for now and go for it. That didn't happen like always.

Say we make the playoffs by some miracle, then what? You need 3 stud SP's to win in the playoffs and we would have 1-Felix (not dominate as in past) 2- Miley (an innings eater) 3-Walker (a guy who would be way past his best pitch count). The your bullpen comes down to 1-Furbush (coming off arm problems) 2- Benoit (39) 3- Cishek (on 3rd team in 2 seasons).

Just how I see the big picture...incomplete.