• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is the re-signing of Andrew Whitworth a good move?

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Bengal's decision to rebuild with young and untested players will again almost guarantee another top 5 draft pick in next year's draft. So with 3 elite LT prospects (Matt Kalil OT 6'7" 295 USC, Jonathan Martin OT 6'6" 304 Stanford, Riley Reiff OT 6'6" 300 Iowa) being available was the re-signing of Andrew Whitworth a premature move? Should they have waited to see how the season shaped up or was it a good move to lock up one of their own young players to avoid another Jonathan Joseph situation? And if the Bengals do find themselves in a position where they have another top 5 pick and if they do decide to draft another tackle 4 years after spending the 6th overall pick on Andre Smith who moves inside? I know this post itself if premature but it's something to think about.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can always move Andre inside if they draft a better option at tackle, so yes, I believe locking up Whit was a good idea. Whit also has excelled at left guard in the past, so that's even more versatility, plus they declined to pick up Andre's option, which is another reason locking up Whit is a good idea.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the signing. Whitworth is a team leader, has had a lot of success in the division against good pass rushers, and probably still has his best days ahead of him. I suppose we'll know more about Andre Smith after this season, but I don't think his play should dictate who we take in the top ten. I don't think we should spend another top 10 pick on a right tackle.

I'd like to see us get one of the defensive playmakers in the next draft. Someone like a Quinton Couples of UNC or someone else that might be able to rush the passer.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lock up the known quantity. You can always draft for depth if one of those guys is the best player available at the time. Smith's option was not picked up, so they can either move him to guard for a year, re-sign him as a guard, or simply let him walk. Plus, you never know with injuries, and Smith's foot, too.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it is a great signing. He's easily one of the best, if not the best, players on the team. If he starts to decline he can move to guard or even over to right tackle (sorry Titty Smith) and we can draft a legitimate LT, most likely in the top ten.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is a great signing. He's easily one of the best, if not the best, players on the team. If he starts to decline he can move to guard or even over to right tackle (sorry Titty Smith) and we can draft a legitimate LT, most likely in the top ten.

He's the best player on the team....and that's sad as hell. He's an average tackle. The local media makes him out to be Munoz.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's the best player on the team....and that's sad as hell. He's an average tackle. The local media makes him out to be Munoz.

I'd agree he's overrrated but he's a good (not great tackle). Plus you need a LT and we got nobody else. Good inangibles. Good guy to reatain. Reliable. One of the only Bengals that seems like he's got some fight in him and not just a total puss.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He gave up two sacks last year, and both were at the end of blowout losses.....he faces the best pass rushers in the league every year.... how in the hell is that average?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Whitworth is a good player so I don't have an issue with extending his deal...
but some factors to take into account..

The Bengals still had him for 3 more yrs on his current deal. plus if he was still playing at a high level after 2013 they could always franchise him essentaily having an option for a fourth...

it's a bit of a gamble that he'll still be the same player in 14 and 15 (as he hits his mid 30's) as he is today... injuries, age, wear and tear..

it appeases one of the few quality players and lockerroom leaders. not a bad thing...

from a football standpoint I don't think it was a pressing need

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's Bip, or at least one of his moronic, useless personalities. Ignore any of these type of posts, and me or Cincygrad will take care of him in short order.

Skinnyfats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Average tackles give up more than 2 sacks a year. Would hardly call him average. He isn't Munoz but he is pretty damn good.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning Bengals,well with all these new moves they've made i hope something works out for this team.Only time will tell! WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!always and forever!! :)