• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Jesse williams the pick that will have the biggest impact in2013?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes sense, although Red does a great job of standing his blockers up and swallowing up double teams by squaring his shoulders. I see Williams as an above average run stopper but he has some work to do with his technique to be anywhere near Red in run support. He gets pushed around by better OL too often. With that said, I was really hoping the Niners would draft him.

Red Bryant had sort of a down year last year. The year before that he was a phenomenal key run defender for us but last year he was not the dominant player he was the year before. On CBS we were wondering why that was and I eventually found out that he had a minor injury he played through all season which could have been the reason for his decline in production.

The point I'm making by this is that if Red Bryant does not pick up his production at run defending (Because lord knows he can't pass rush), Jesse Williams could challenge his job. They both have similar skillsets. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Seahawks use Williams at NT and DE during camp and see how he looks at each one of those positions.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be, but if Red is replaced, I'd rather see a player that can help with the pass rush in addition to stopping the run.

caseycomb

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has weaknesses for sure, but he sure looked good collapsing that pocket.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Red Bryant had sort of a down year last year. The year before that he was a phenomenal key run defender for us but last year he was not the dominant player he was the year before. On CBS we were wondering why that was and I eventually found out that he had a minor injury he played through all season which could have been the reason for his decline in production.

The point I'm making by this is that if Red Bryant does not pick up his production at run defending (Because lord knows he can't pass rush), Jesse Williams could challenge his job. They both have similar skillsets. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Seahawks use Williams at NT and DE during camp and see how he looks at each one of those positions.

I have confidence that Red will be healthy and ready to dominate against the run again this year, but it's nice to know that if he gets hurt again or his production does fall off for whatever reason, there's someone there who could possibly step in and do the job. There were people on the ESPN board who either didn't know Red got hurt last year or didn't care that he got hurt last year, they just wanted him gone because of his contract, his inability to rush the quarterback and his sudden drop off in production last season.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By default he probably is. Both he and Hill will likely get more time than the other rookies just because of all the rotation on the defensive line. I don't think too many of the other picks get much playing time this year. I'm still scratching my head over the Christine Michael pick. I get taking a RB at some point, but I didn't see it coming with the second rounder.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By default he probably is. Both he and Hill will likely get more time than the other rookies just because of all the rotation on the defensive line. I don't think too many of the other picks get much playing time this year. I'm still scratching my head over the Christine Michael pick. I get taking a RB at some point, but I didn't see it coming with the second rounder.

I didn't see it coming either, but maybe Schneider and Carroll know something we don't. We don't see practices or meetings or film sessions or weight training or any of that stuff that the coaches see. It could be anything from the coaches being unhappy with what they got from Turbin in one or more of those areas last year or it could be that they're trying to protect against a letdown should Lynch get banged up too much or it could just be that they think Michael is simply better than Turbin. We don't know... but for a position that we all thought was absolutely set, there has to be a good reason why we took a running back in the 2nd round. I don't think they'd have picked him without one.

C.Adl.C.Hox.Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember Alert... Seattle runs more than any other team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have seen from Jordan Hill is a lightning quick run stuffer..He could very possible, have the biggest impact this year..I think he'll be a stud. Michaels has the biggest chance. He'll be runnin back kicks I bet, on a legendary team of special teams. He will get a couple TDs, I would put money on it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be, but if Red is replaced, I'd rather see a player that can help with the pass rush in addition to stopping the run.

I know you posted this weeks ago, but I wanted to reply to it anyway. I think that with just about any other defense in the league, this would be the direction that the team would go in replacing a starter on the line. With this defense, though, I wouldn't bet on it.

In the descriptions of this specific defensive scheme that I have read, Red's position is designed to be focused on stopping the run and because of that, has not been, for the most part, manned by players capable of rushing the passer with any sort of consistency. To kind of balance it out with a guy more capable of rushing the passer is to change the fundamental duties of the position I think.

This is why it is crucial that the Seahawks find tackles capable of getting pressure on the QB from the tackle spot designated for pass rushers in the base defensive alignment. If it's left up to the LEO to get all the pressure, the quarterback is gonna have all day to throw most of the time. That inside pressure has to come consistently or it's going to be a long day. Knock on wood that we don't have any more nagging injury issues or disciplinary issues with our defensive linemen, otherwise it'll be like we never loaded up on linemen to begin with.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the "Five-Technique": "The defensive end to the tight end side needs to be a defensive player that can play the run. He does not have to be a big time pass rusher, but he has to play the C gap and stop the run. [He] must works for leverage and force and allow the Free Safety to work off of the him and fills where he is needed on run plays.

So yes is first responsibility is the run, I guess I read the line that "He does not have to be a big time pass rusher" and think but it would be better if he was.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a Cortez Jr. out there? Even Rocky Bernard was great in the pass rush. Remember when he flattened Alex Smith like a squished bug? I think we drafted exceptional pass rushin tackles.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a Cortez Jr. out there? Even Rocky Bernard was great in the pass rush. Remember when he flattened Alex Smith like a squished bug? I think we drafted exceptional pass rushin tackles.

Tez was a one man wrecking crew in the middle when he played (especially in 1992) and a once-in-a-generation player. Guys like that are hard to find. I'd settle for a Rocky Bernard-type as he was a solid player for us.

Osprey 1984

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't stand out. But you see him pushing the pile, demanding double and triple teaming allowing the Linebackers to t- it off.

He has a lot of tackles. Versatile but along with Jordan Hill allows a younger diverse rotation at the 3 spot . Maybe with Jordan Hill replaces Branch and Mebane long term.

Kyle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like where we drafted him and I think he does have some talent for the pro level. I hope working with the players and coaches he becomes a great draft pick for us.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my issue with jesse Williams is how athletic he is. we all know this guy can bench press the gym but believe it or not even an interior lineman has to be quick and crafty to make plays not some dufus that lifts things up and puts them down. Red Bryant for as big as he is uses his weight to get around offensive lineman and uses his power to bull rush smaller blockers like TEs

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all should like what we've seen from Tony McDaniel. Pre-season or not, when Tonys in the game, he's active. Penetrating into the backfield and with his 6'7" height and nice timing, he swats
down passes with regularity (relative). Tipped balls lead to interceptions. Tony is going to have a nice impact.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad that we didn't get a chance to see what Williams could do at full strength. Hopefully having McDaniel in there will lessen the sting of missing Williams. If there's a bright side to missing so many starters in the preseason, it's that it has given the front office and coaching staff a much longer, better look at the guys who are fighting for jobs. For example, if Rice and Harvin had been able to play this preseason, we probably don't see nearly as much of Kearse or Stephen Williams as we have and instead of talking about both of them possibly making the team, we'd probably be talking about just one of them making it. If Avril had played, maybe we don't see as much of a guy like Mayowa. You just never know.

I would also look at who other teams decide to release, because Schneider and Carroll certainly will be and it wouldn't surprise me if they picked someone up even if we think the 53-man is set. They've done it heading into week 1 before.