• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it too difficult to repeat as champs?

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just speaks to how difficult it is to win in this league period. It takes a good talented team, let's face it, most teams in the NFL have quite a bit of talent. Then the right guys have to stay healthy. Some years that happens, some not, and every year, every team has to deal with injuries. Some more than others, and it doesn't seem to matter if you were good or not the year before. After that you have FA, coaches get promoted from winning teams, to other teams, staff changes, etc.

The chances of all that stuff working in your favor for one season are slim, the chance it all works for you a 2nd year in a row? well they're the same, but still pretty low. you're 1 out of 32.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle's one of the few teams in recent years that can do it because they didn't barely get in the playoffs and get hot during it (like Giants in recent years, or the Steelers when they knocked off Seattle), they took their seed by storm.

In addition, their roster is mostly returning and they get Percy Harvin back along with Richardson which is significantly better than Golden Tate and whoever else they lost. The other big factor is their roster is VERY young which helps you battle injuries and stay athletic for most of the game. Lastly, Seattle's philosophy is competition and that carries into games. Seattle players are by nature extremely competitive workhorses.

Point being, even if Seattle doesn't repeat, there's a good chance they can still win in the next 2-3 years to come.

SEA can b/c they kept a good portion of the team in place...the mental preparation required to be the hunted every week is very difficult.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEA can b/c they kept a good portion of the team in place...the mental preparation required to be the hunted every week is very difficult.

There are so many things that need to go right. The 1984 49er team went 15-1 and dominated. The following year injuries piled up and they limped into the playoffs looking like a hospital ward. Just seems most often that things that go right during a super bowl run seem to often times turn the following year. Injuries, the luck of the bounce, etc. Being hunted every week definately also takes its toll. There is so much more parity these days also.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Only 2 games" in a 16 game season is fairly significant. I mean its 12% of the regular season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well after you win a super bowl they stack your schedule next season with good teams just look at ours no wonder its so damn hard to repeat and the fact that they didnt want to give us any home games on prime time because we blow out teams and thats bad for television ratings is bullshit...

but there used to be a trend of super bowl losers not making it to the playoffs the following season after the loss i remember when we lost to the steelers in 05 and we made it to the playoffs the following season.

They can't stack the schedule against you. Nfl schedules are figured out years in advance. The worst you could say is the order in which they put the games is unfavorable. Otherwise everything is done completely by a complex math equation to figure out home and away. 14 of the games in 10 years from now though I could tell you exactly what they are

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it just speaks to how difficult it is to win in this league period. It takes a good talented team, let's face it, most teams in the NFL have quite a bit of talent. Then the right guys have to stay healthy. Some years that happens, some not, and every year, every team has to deal with injuries. Some more than others, and it doesn't seem to matter if you were good or not the year before. After that you have FA, coaches get promoted from winning teams, to other teams, staff changes, etc.

The chances of all that stuff working in your favor for one season are slim, the chance it all works for you a 2nd year in a row? well they're the same, but still pretty low. you're 1 out of 32.

:10: a good summary for why its so difficult to repeat in today's NFL.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. They're playing Carolina who is probably a 3rd place team in the South so it's really not a big deal usually
Yeah, Carolina isnt going to be half the team it was last year.

The Saints are actually my early favorite in the NFC just because their division doesn't have 4 playoff contenders like the NFC West and NFC North does.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Only 2 games" in a 16 game season is fairly significant. I mean its 12% of the regular season.

You're playing Carolina who is a 3rd place team at best so in reality it is one out of 16

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"after you win the superbowl they stack the schedule against you"

LOL, seahawks fans are new to the NFL i guess.

No more "stacked" than every other division winner.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"after you win the superbowl they stack the schedule against you"

LOL, seahawks fans are new to the NFL i guess.

No more "stacked" than every other division winner.

Yeah I laughed at this one. I guess 20 years ago the NFL knew Seattle would be winning the Super Bowl so stacked the deck against them for the following year knowing all those other teams would be good as well.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
In general it's tough to repeat because a one game format where the gap between the teams isn't huge anything can and does happen.

As far as the Seahawks go I would love their odds much more if they were in the AFC but the NFC is brutal and as of today I see it as a 3 horse race between Seattle, SF, and NO with Seattle and SF being slightly ahead of NO. GB and ATL I would throw in the mix but both those teams need significantly better play from their defense before I would consider them serious contenders.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sonny, I do not think SF will overtake us.

Never know UH didnt think Denver was going to take NE with Peyton. I wish I bet cause I told 100 if not more that Seattles D was sick and Wilson was good enough to win. Quickest D i have seen. Bears 85 best i have seen then 70 Steelers